By corruptparadise
Pinewood Derby anyone???

As some of you know I serve in the military, and for the past several months, my prop building has been on hiatus.. That is until I’m at my prospective duty station. But that doesnt mean my family isnt picking up the slack while I’m away. While my wife is working on a Slimer outfit for my son, My father is ramping up for this year’s pinewood derby and I’ll say this. If there’s one thing I took away from my father, its being a stickler for attention to detail. I’ll be posting pics of the progress as the weeks go by.

Last edited by corruptparadise on January 2nd, 2012, 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Ecto-1 fan
Wow, that is a gorgeous shape.
Much nicer than mine turned out, lol.
Keep it up, and I hope the rack details knock it out of the park!
By odiemodie
Holy ghostdroppings! (pardon my expression) The Webbies and Cubbies are gonna love that... not to mention the parents... might become the envy of all the Fathers who helped their sons on their pinewood cars!

Tell your pop don't forget the lights an' siren! It will be a totally cool sight to see it screamin' down the track! lol...

I know... it will be too heavy to be regulation weight, but AWESOME... nevertheless! :cool:

Cool beads! Can't wait to see the finished results! :)
By corruptparadise
Oh, the fathers have either a “best in show” or “speed” competition. My pop’s won best in show 2 years in a row. My brother’s is in it for the speed. and trust me, the lights and decals will all be there. This is gonna be an Ecto 1a.
By odiemodie
AWESOME-LIOUS!

...Sorry... for being over exzuberant... I just think it is so cool of how far we have come in Pinewood Derby racing. I would love to see an Ecto1 or A at an event such as this. When I was a Cub Scout, I had entered my car as the "Batmobile"... only thing was, it was just an ordinary, uninspired derby car with the words "Batmobile" on it ... Bloody heck! Thought those words would make the car go faster! :sigh:
By odiemodie
corruptparadise wrote:Oh Pinewood Derby has come a LONG way. My first car was a Richard Petty Stock Car. and it was SLOW! lol
LOL!:lol::):-D:-P

Thank you for the pleasent memories, dear sir! :blush:

GO ECTO-1A!:-D
By zeta otaku
Back when I was doing this in cub scouts, my dad and I modeled mine after the Ecto-500 toy. Looked pretty damn good. I'll see if I can find pictures :D
By odiemodie
corruptparadise wrote:Update: My pop is doing the Ecto 1A justice.

GLORIFIED GHOST NUGGETS!* THAT ROCKS! *falls over into computer chair*

I'm already rootin' for this car, and it hasn't even had its' wheels put on! :-P

*Yep... ghost-shaped chicken nuggets... had them for Halloween... YUMMERS!*

You got me... I'm now an ECTO-1A PINEWOOD DERBY CAR GROUPIE!:blush:
By chibigear
Now THIS IS TALENT! Forget my 1/12 scale build, this beats EVERYTHING!

We here in Finland do not have such derbies unfortunately, and for now, I have missed that out intentionally. But seing an Ecti beign carved from solid block of wood IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!
If you EVER get the stopid idea of selling this, you'll know who to contact!
By TankHammer
This puts every Pinewood Derby car I ever made to shame. I hate you and your family forever.
By corruptparadise
My Pop appreciates the support, Some more pics should be coming up this weekend. He’s been painting it for the better part of a week or so.
By | alkaline |
Are you kidding me? That shape is amazing !...How....What....How do you get to that point?? Please tell me you have pics of that thing as a block of wood...Honestly Incredible.. Also, does this car meet the pinewood derby regulations? It looks a bit on the wide side. I know when I used to race the car had to fit with in a special box or it was dis-qualified.
By The Roach On Twelve
joeghostbuster wrote:while that certainly is nice looking, arent pinewood derby cars supposed to be streamlined and aero-dynamic to go fast?
corruptparadise wrote:Oh, the fathers have either a “best in show” or “speed” competition. My pop’s won best in show 2 years in a row. My brother’s is in it for the speed. and trust me, the lights and decals will all be there. This is gonna be an Ecto 1a.
By corruptparadise
| alkaline | wrote:Are you kidding me? That shape is amazing !...How....What....How do you get to that point?? Please tell me you have pics of that thing as a block of wood...Honestly Incredible.. Also, does this car meet the pinewood derby regulations? It looks a bit on the wide side. I know when I used to race the car had to fit with in a special box or it was dis-qualified.
This Actually meets all pinewood derby specifications, rules and regulations. Some pictures with Coins and other objects (for scale) are coming soon. This puppy is just at or above 7’’ long.
By 06VenomGT
That is one Cool Derby Car!!! You sure have a gift with wood. Can't wait to see the finished car! When I first read the topic, I thought it was a Prius being converted to an Ecto...glad I read the thread.

Sent from my DROID2 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By slave1pilot
joeghostbuster wrote:while that certainly is nice looking, arent pinewood derby cars supposed to be streamlined and aero-dynamic to go fast?
My pinewood derby car from last year at work;
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts kid."
I came in 1st place.
Here's what I did;

The discolored spots are graphite that rubbed off and got all over everything.
The body was cut and sanded in a wedge shape to reduce drag
The car is balanced with the majority of the weight towards the rear
The paint has been polished to a high gloss
The axles are polished
The hubs are coned and polished
The wheels are balanced and trued
The car is exactly the max weight to the gram.
The car runs on 3 wheels, since the 4th wheel will cause more friction and slow the car.
The paint is removed from the body behind the hubs so there is no drag
Everything is lubed with Graphite.

If the surface it is sitting on is not perfectly level, it will start rolling on its own LOL

Of course, it's not even close to the coolness of that Ecto

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]