By 69428scj
Yeah, that was a pain in the butt trying to get my rear drums off. I had to soak them in PB B'laster overnight and then smack em with a hammer to break them loose. I pretty much hate everything mechanical about my car...heads leaked coolant because the machine shop didn't seal them, transmission leaked fluid due to bent pan, oil filter housing lines leaked too oh and then there were the new wheel cylinders that weren't the right size, the master cylinder that wasn't the correct manufacturer, did I mention my car is lighter now due to a whole box of nuts, bolts, screws and other fasteners not being put back on the car because I have NO CLUE where they go?...stupid car!
Fifthrider liked this
By EctoTrk
I really haven't had much trouble with vandalism with the truck. But last halloween me and DentAurthorDent did some driving around and made a stop. We both had the lights going for a bit so I went to shut mine off... I could NOT turn my front light bar off. Turned the switch off - nothing. Turned the truck off - nothing. Then I start smelling melting plastic like crazy bad. I had to get a pair of sizzors and cut the F'n wire on the roof to shut it off.
EctoTrk wrote:I really haven't had much trouble with vandalism with the truck. But last halloween me and DentAurthorDent did some driving around and made a stop. We both had the lights going for a bit so I went to shut mine off... I could NOT turn my front light bar off. Turned the switch off - nothing. Turned the truck off - nothing. Then I start smelling melting plastic like crazy bad. I had to get a pair of sizzors and cut the F'n wire on the roof to shut it off.
Any chance you has a hot and ground wire crossed?
If the bar was a little dim and slow moving, that could have been the case.

Couple years ago a friend helped hook the rack up as we were re-installing it after winter. Long story short he switched the plugs for the relay power supply and the rear light bar, so when I turned on the engine I had a slow moving light bar with no off switch.
By lucky12
Wow. This thread as been an eye opener.

I have been toying with the idea of making my motorcycle an ecto of sorts. Now I have some serious doubts after reading this. I can only imagine the A-holes who will think it is perfectly ok to jump right on it. Or even worse, bump up against it and knocking it over.

I would have never thought this would be a problem because I was raised with manners and respect. I always asume that others were raised the same way.
By WolfShark
Sadly when some people get excited thay dont think. and then when questioned the reply is often... "well you wouldnt have done this if you didnt want people to pay attention"
By RickH
Chace wrote:I hate that the 59 caddys need a hub puller that bolts to the lugs and applies pressure to the center axle shaft just to pull the damned rear drums off!

This is non-Ecto related, but in helping a friend with his 59 S+S I felt the need to vent.
You aint kidding. I had a helluva time getting the drums off my '60. Made worse by the fact that some of the studs were already stripped of thread. Refurbing the rear brakes turned into a 6 month ordeal when I found that commercial chassis wheel studs for 59/60 Cadillacs do not exist anywhere and to replace my stripped studs I'd have to get them manufactured myself.

http://www.phantomcoaches.org/ipb_forum ... topic=2108
By RickH
EctoTrk wrote:I really haven't had much trouble with vandalism with the truck. But last halloween me and DentAurthorDent did some driving around and made a stop. We both had the lights going for a bit so I went to shut mine off... I could NOT turn my front light bar off. Turned the switch off - nothing. Turned the truck off - nothing. Then I start smelling melting plastic like crazy bad. I had to get a pair of sizzors and cut the F'n wire on the roof to shut it off.
Depending on how your lights are wired up, the contacts in your switch or relay might have fused closed. Lights draw a lot of power, it's best to put as much circuit protection in there as possible (cb's, fuses, relays, etc).
By EctoTrk
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the problem was my wire gauge was too small. When I get some funds together I'm gonna take it to a pro and get some more flashing/rotating goodies installed as well. WITH THE APPROPRIATE WIRE!!!
By Boomerjinks
ProtonCharger wrote:a fence didnt seem to stop other people, how is that going to work?
Well, it also appears to be behind a rope, and inside a locked building...
By DentArthurDent
Have you guys ever had someone sit on your cars, and actually damage it? Either scratch the paint, dent the hood, etc…

Ive caught people sitting up there a couple of times.

I had this happen with my Bluesmobile recently. The guy apparently just sat down right on the hood for a picture - Blues Brothers style - pushing the hood down. Now my hood doesn’t sit right and is difficult to close.

I mean, who does this guy think he is? Dan Aykroyd?

This Post Contains Spoilers
Oh.
DmsdyMachn liked this
By WolfShark
DentArthurDent wrote:Have you guys ever had someone sit on your cars, and actually damage it? Either scratch the paint, dent the hood, etc…

Ive caught people sitting up there a couple of times.

I had this happen with my Bluesmobile recently. The guy apparently just sat down right on the hood for a picture - Blues Brothers style - pushing the hood down. Now my hood doesn’t sit right and is difficult to close.

I mean, who does this guy think he is? Dan Aykroyd?

This Post Contains Spoilers
Oh.
haha lol. im not sure if thats win or fail
By DmsdyMachn
Just stumbled across this thread, but I saw this--
Boomerjinks wrote:Image

and it almost made my blood boil. I'm a car guy, from a car family. I've been to a great many car shows in very expensive, collectible cars, so I follow the car etiquette like it's THE word. Boomer, I don't know how you can leave your car out front at Starfest every year and not be checking on it every 10 minutes. Well, maybe you are. lol

I've been playing with the idea of doing my own Ecto (just to see everyone laughing at it in the other thread, most likely), and I'd probably end up smacking some douche for jumping on it like that.
XxEctOxX liked this
By XxEctOxX
I was out last night, and i was walking back to my car in gear when a drunk guy was taking a piss in between cars. As I walked by he said something like "***king f*gg*t ghostbuster". The funny part about this was I was only a few feet from getting into my ecto. So I pulled up to him threw on all my lights and got on my PA. Attention sir pissing in public.... I called this guy every swear word under the sun in under 5 seconds. Pants falling down this dude ran to my car swinging. I floored it and laughed at him over the PA as i sped away. Good times.
DmsdyMachn liked this
By 69428scj
Owning a classic car sucks, but even moreso an Ecto. I've already ranted twice about my car here but never really went in depth as to how much of a PITA it is. First, the costs of maintaining the car are insane. ANY time I want to take the car out, I've calculated it costs about $40. That's a combination of gas (which during regular driving gets about 10-12 mpg), engine oil usage (about a quart every 100 or so miles because the piston rings aren't set from the rebuild) and power steering fluid (box leaks). I have to drive the car once a week or it becomes a sieve.

The car doesn't accelerate quickly, and doesn't like to go more than 60 mph. My speedometer broke a while ago and haven't gotten it fixed yet so that's a couple hundred more I have to spend on it. I'm still having brake issues, with there being a vacuum leak somewhere so I have to two-foot the pedal to get it to stop. Did I mention the front end is only held together by a dozen or so bolts? I have the previous owner to thank for that because he didn't label which ones went where.

The carrier bearing and u-joints are going bad so when I drive the car there's a vibration in the rear end and it's getting worse everytime I drive the car. The driver's side leaf spring is weak so the car leans to that side in the rear, so to replace both (which is the intelligent thing to do) is another $500, and that's without installation.

I've had the misfortune of having the car in the rain a couple times, so making sure everything gets cleaned afterward is very labor intensive. It's extremely hard to remove the roof rack to clean it because I need a fork lift to remove it, and guess what...I don't have one. Getting to the "innards" of the rack is difficult because it's not like I can use a ladder to climb up. The angle is not good and most of the time I don't even bother trying.

The most frustrating part of the car has been the siren. Because the strobes generate so much energey during their burst, it surges into the sound chip so the sound card acts like a broken record. Thankfully now that the problem has been identified it can be fixed permanently.

Lastly is the damn ladder. One the movie car, it's functional. On mine, it's not. Two weeks ago at a haunted theme park there was a group that took a picture with the car, but someone decided to climb the ladder after being told not to touch the car. So I yell at Mr. ass clown to get off the ladder and proceed to inspect for any damage. Yep, now there's a crease in the quarter panel that'll have to be fixed.

So there you have it kids. Don't own a screen-accurate Ecto unless you can afford to!
By Darthdono74
I'll throw 2 cents into ranting about owning a Ecto, or better yet, why people should pay attention to driving, rather than talking on their cell phones, running red lights because they are in a hurry, and killing peoples Ectos =(

Save a Ecto, turn off your cell phones!

Oh, and be courteous, don't shout out your window, who ya gonna call?
At the individual that just lost his or her Ecto, obviously they are calling triple A for a tow.
SacGB-Alex liked this
By DefenderDarko
That's when you get out and take the hopefully injured driver and hurt them even more. Hopefully their kids are watching so you scar the entire family. That'll straighten up their poor driving. Shove the phone up their ass.
By JoeLuna33
69428scj wrote:That looks like it might a totaling accident based on how the cowl looks, I'm terribly sorry about your loss. Let's all observe a moment of silence...
Unfortunately the Ecto was deemed a total loss and was hauled away for scrap. It was a sad day in SoCal.

Any idea when the aluminum trigger box will be […]

Here's a new one that might fit here. The guy did […]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances d[…]

You guys are MUCH better at IDing stuff than I am&[…]