Such a beautiful car... showed the photos to my wife, and even she is jealous now... She's telling me that we need to do this someday as well, and I'm like, "Um, as much as I would LOVE to, we can't afford this..." LOL! I love her... =P <3
SabaSka109 liked this
So does the guy working on it have an actual shop and spray booth? Or is he more or less working out of a garage type building? Either way he does incredible work. Just curious if he has been spraying in a booth or just a garage.
SabaSka109, something I wished I could go back and do ( and you're at that phase now ) is line the floor and firewall of the interior with some kind of sound dampening. Something like DynaMat. You know how cool that rumbling engine sounds now? Well it's not so cool when you're driving and have to shout at the person in the seat next to you or in the back seat. These cars were invented before the concept of "a quiet ride" or soundproofing. Mull the idea over and give it some consideration.
Fifthrider wrote:SabaSka109, something I wished I could go back and do ( and you're at that phase now ) is line the floor and firewall of the interior with some kind of sound dampening. Something like DynaMat. You know how cool that rumbling engine sounds now? Well it's not so cool when you're driving and have to shout at the person in the seat next to you or in the back seat. These cars were invented before the concept of "a quiet ride" or soundproofing. Mull the idea over and give it some consideration.
That's not a bad suggestion...I will talk to him about. Also, to respond to the previous question, Roger works in a garage on his property. He really is amazing. If anyone could buy the Ecto-1a (not possible...) and the person to get it was me, I'd totally have him working on it.
I think his work is amazing, and the fact that he does it out of his garage is even more amazing.

I second fifthrider's suggestion on the dynamat. I used it on my Nova and it really works well. If you are nervous at all that it will prevent you from hearing that thunderous engine don't be. It cuts the road noise and excessive engine noise down and let's you still hear the motor and you can hold a conversation. I would put it on the floor, firewall, kick panels, and at least the front doors. Might cost you a small fortune if you did the side panels all the way back... But then maybe you crossed the threshold that you really don't care at this point :D It also helps with heat transfer as well. You won't regret spending the money on it.
Hello again my friends, it's time for some more random pictures. The car is coming along as always.

First, I have FINALLY found the absolute correct Ferno Washington cot for the proton pack rack...

The two that I had previously obtained (yes, I now have three cots) are 95% accurate but lack one bar around the bottom of the cot...it's hard to explain so I'm not going to waste anyone's time. But yes, this cost is correct and will be a great pack rack.

See...three of them. Actually, one of the spares will become the property of Matt Burkit, as he bought a 1963 Superior Crown Royale (it's very cool) and will be storing his baby in my baby's garage.

Anyway, some more pictures...

I'm not sure if I showed this (I apologize if I have), but here's an up-close view of the installed Unity S6 mirror...

The heater motor and squirrel cage fan have been taken care of:

Heater motor installed, baby!:

So yes, a lot of stuff that most people probably don't care too much about, but important parts to the process nonetheless. People have recommended I have the carrier bearing replaced in the car...as if that would be overlooked. My car will have a new carrier bearing, new u-joints, and the brake lines are currently being installed.
Ecto-1 fan liked this
Haha, it is still a thing...but it seems that most people aren't really following it here much anymore and I can't blame them - I too don't have time to follow everyone else and their work either. Not only that, but I doubt anyone else is really ever going to do what I'm doing so it's not like this is really helping anyone else out there.
Fifthrider liked this
While I will most likely never do a build like this, I do like reading the little details whenever I can... so it's still very much appreciated... keep up the awesome work!
SabaSka109 liked this
Well, I enjoy every update, so please feel free to keep us up to date!

I'm a car crazy nut, having been through about a half-dozen restos and customs of my own. I am in awe of your body man, and only wish I could find someone up here that was similar.

Please - carry on!
SabaSka109 liked this
Woah you dare stop updating this thread ;)

This thread is awesome. I've always dreamt of having an Ecto of my own but being UK based and financially unable it is a dream that'll never turn into a reality. You're doing an awesome job and I am loving seeing my favourite car of all time being restored right infront of my eyes
(Ahem) Four. Four of you.

Huh, I never actually noticed that second bar on the cot until now. I always thought I had the right model up until now. Well, good find! Congrats to you on knowing that detail.

Good job on the heater motor as well. I didn't need that on my car ( so-cal, always hot ) but it's cool to see someone else do it before it's too late. Once you get the antennae installed on the fender you don't really want to take that thing off for a heater replacement. Thanks for posting pics, too. Should some of us ever want to get in there its pics like yours that end up being so much more helpful than black-line drawings in the shop manual.

On the radiator are you using a dual-core or were you planning on running a separate intercooler for the other lines? I'm just curious what others do and how it works out for them.

Don't worry about how many people not following it. Forums seem to favor weird topics like Ghostbusters and My Little Pony crossover fanfics instead of "Hey look, I spent a bundle making a car!" Welcome to the internet. The people who do are the ones who care and are cheering you on.
Ecto-1 fan, SabaSka109 liked this
SabaSka109 wrote:DW,

Your post was a very interesting read...I wasn't sure if it was real until you mentioned the Martin Tower. What I can say is that I had spoken to the person selling the 1960 M-M within a few hours of it posting to Craigslist so you must have seen it posted elsewhere I am guessing. He did mention another interested buyer (a woman). He opted to sell to me when I explained how much I was willing to put into my project.

The parts car I found was indeed for sale a while before I found the guy to obtain the parts I needed from him. I had seen the original auction for it but realized it was too rough to use...I got the best parts left (rear curved glass, mouldings, rear door).

I can't say that I am glad you didn't obtain either car, but I sure am glad they ended up with me. Most people have no idea how much this kind of project costs and most couldn't afford what I have sacrificed. Hopefully you will see the car in person when she is finished.
Yeah, I had texts back and forth with the guy and everything, maybe he thought we were the same person or something, I could see how it could be confusing us both being from Bethlehem, PA.

I am glad it got into your capable hands. (And obviously extremely jealous) I look forward to seeing her finished and driving around Bethlehem hehe.

I managed to pick up the booby prize. A 1958 Miller Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combo. I'm not sure I wan't to Ecto it since its not really the right car. I think I am just going to do a pimped out Hearse look. It will be arriving White/Red though so I will be driving it around until then with the obligatory GB car magnets on.... maybe you'll see me. It's still in Idaho right now though, and needs some assembly, it might be a little bit.

Kingpin, Fifthrider liked this
Good luck with Art's car. I knew about it, but just can't swing it right now. It may work as an Ecto, but I think "just" an ambulance would work better for it. Either way - Congrats!

Glad Brian is enjoying this build, too.
Ecto-1 fan wrote:Good luck with Art's car. I knew about it, but just can't swing it right now. It may work as an Ecto, but I think "just" an ambulance would work better for it. Either way - Congrats!

Glad Brian is enjoying this build, too.
Thanks! I want something I'll be able take out and drive a bit more on nice summer days, I think I have to go more "hearsey" for that. I think that's more practical than an ambulance or ecto for that purpose.

Anyway sorry for the thread hijack. Back to you're ecto! Just wanted to say what I got instead.
I'm following this thread. While I don't have any opinions or insight to add, it's a great read and something I would like to own one day, mine own, not yours... Unless you sell it... So keep up the great work!
Whoa, OK, so people are still following! OK guys, you've got me inspired (of course I'll keep the thread going...). DW, no sweats, you didn't hijack my thread...haha...I would love to see the 58. Honestly, it looks beautiful as an ambulance, so I'd say you should keep it as is. Heck, with you, me, and my friend Matt, there will now be three classic Cadillac hearse/ambulances in the Lehigh Valley now.

And Bryan, I'm not really sure what Roger has planned with the radiator...he and I have to talk about all of that stuff sometime this weekend...the car is so technical...it's one of my little (er...BIG) toys. But, on the note of that pun...

There, that's better!

Thanks for still caring guys!

- Adam
Fifthrider liked this
Whoa, you purchased three Ferno gurneys!? I have not been able to find a single one in my area let alone three. How much did you get them for? Also, can you please elaborate on the what the differences are between the accurate one and the semi accurate ones?

By the way, this thread is AMAZING! So keep the updates coming no matter how small they may be.
Keep up the excellent work! I check on your thread all the time, keep the updates coming! Ecto-1 is the reason I work on classic cars now! If you ever need anything from the south Georgia/north Florida area, gimme a shout.
So a bunch of things are happening...

First, the rear drum brakes need to be rebuilt, and thankfully there is a car mechanic prodigy working with Roger to make everything work. I say this because Roger is more of a body-modification artist, not someone who typically takes apart and rebuilds 50+ year old drum brakes.

Here are some photos of the rear brake restoration underway:

Also, when I was out in California I found out that my steering column was not compatible with a 1959 steering wheel. Who would think a 1960 and 1959 are really that much different...the truth is they are. We got together for dinner with my buddy Nik that very night, he made a phone call, and within 2 hours a steering column was sourced.

Here it is cleaned up and painted:

The levers all work and this is in much better shape than the ones you can find on Ebay and other places like that. Amazingly, I got this for a fraction of what it would cost me anywhere else. Man, it's nice to have friends that have connections!

Finally, the rear bumper is still being perfected. The overall construction had been completed before, but there's A LOT that goes into making sure it all lines up perfectly. After initial construction, everything was taken apart, cleaned up, and then reconstructed. Now it's a matter of fitting it on, and it's looking good...

There is a piece that fits under the bumper to securely attach it. We can worry about that when the bumper is rechromed...

Enjoy!
jackdoud liked this
I have to admit, I'm just a bit envious that you're able to replace a steering column, paint it up, and make everything perfect. It sure beats what I've been doing which amounts to fixing a plane in mid-flight.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]