SnidderEcto1 wrote:Yes the trim made it harder to go bigger.. i uploaded it to youtube. My youtube account is also SnidderEcto1 if u want to see it from there.. its just not working on here for me for some reason..
Incorrect; it's "snidder69". :whatever:

And why is the video sideways?
SnidderEcto1 liked this
RichLather wrote: And why is the video sideways?
Because he held the camera vertically instead of landscape and you're not supposed to do that.
Snidder, if you want to post a youtube video there is literally a "Youtube" button right on the "Post a reply" page. Not that difficult.

But onto the ecto...
The color, man. The color is killing me. It doesn't give that bright energy that your average Ecto has. The color scheme is so important to an Ectomobile. It's supposed to be an emergency-type vehicle. In fact, if you google image search the phrase "emergency vehicles" the most common colors you're going to see are white, red, and yellow. Funny enough, three colors commonly used on an Ectomobile. The only cars I saw that had mostly dark or cool colors were highway patrol cars. Not really that emergency-y.

This color is just not attention grabbing and if it weren't for the roof rack or the logos (which seriously need to lose the white trim) I wouldn't look at it twice. I'm sure the addition of a few strategically placed cautions stripes might get it looking more like an Ecto and less like a car with a very interesting luggage rack, but once you finish whatever part it is you're doing, you should seriously look into getting a paint job.
Ketchum, Some_Guy, Chace and 4 others liked this
Honestly, I wouldn't paint it. That's a damn nice car, really. I'd just go find some sort of cheap used car at a personal lot for around $1k that's white and move all the tech onto that.

Go find an old Cherokee or wagon. Those are cheap as dirt if you get a 90's model. Cherokees will run forever.
A Dodge Magnum Ecto isn't really unique. It's also not unique in silver because that's the stock color.

A Unique Ecto is Jersey's black SUV. They pull off non-white. My Jeep isn't really unique either. But's its clearly an Ectomobile.

Snidder's Magnum is a nice car. Probably a little too nice to shove all that stuff on. I still say he should get a used wagon or suv and toss that stuff up there. His rack and lights are nice.
Vee liked this
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
Anything not a caddie is unique. Classic is always cool, but all I'm saying is I like it when things stray from the norm. I know two peoplethan snidder with an Ectomobile. One is movie version which is pure awesome, other has an EctoTruck pure awesomeness that he is still building. Both are the truth. One giving direct homage to the film, the other showing new possibilities. Just saying.
RichLather wrote:
SnidderEcto1 wrote:Hatch opens just fine!
But does it stay open with the extra weight of the light bar on it?
Why wouldn't it? The weight it as the top behind where the hydraulics connect. It doesn't actually weigh down the door itself.

Again, your plans seem to have worked so far. Just paint the car or swap it for a white one!
RichLather liked this
I've been following this thread to check on the progress of a fellow Ohio GB and I think that Jason and Solodark are missing the point on when it comes to the "nay sayers" (i.e. people who insist on a white paint job) is that technically Jason's Magnum is not truly an Ecto because it'd lacking one of the basic requirements that classifies it as an Ecto...it needs to be white. This thread right here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 13&t=21574 started by 69428scj lays out in detail what constitutes an Ecto. All of the outstanding Ectos all have the same basic characteristic...it's a white car to start with or is painted white. I understand having alot of enthusiasm for the hobby and how cool it must be to own an Ecto but the best Ecto's are the ones that the owners took their time, saved up and planned how the car was going to look. Instead of rushing a roof rack and some lightbars and slapping on some door decals on a dark gray car, the money could've been saved to get that paint job and in the mean time build and gather the other components for the rack and lights and such. The head turners, when it comes to Ectomobiles, weren't thrown together quickly but planned and truly it shows. Boomer's, Texasbuster's, The Salt Lake Team's HHR, and Fifthrider and 69428scj's movie accurate Ecto's weren't built quickly and again that quality shows.

None of my team owns a white vehicle so instead of us having a silver or black "Ecto", we think of ours more like independent contractor vehicles which would share similar characteristics of an Ecto but not be named as such. This would fit into the idea of GB franchises would at first use what vehicles they have until they have enough funds to buy a more official vehicle and because an Ecto is white, plain and simple. If you put Jason's dark gray Magnum next to Boomer's, Chace's or even Jeff's (RichLather) white Magnum's which will evoke the most recognition? The ones that draw the most visual resemblance to the original vehicle.

No one likes having their excitement squashed by others, we get it. I know that Jason is proud and stands by his vehicle. Like others in this thread have said "if it makes you happy, cool" but some of the people who brought on the constructive criticism were in fact owners of some unbelievable Ectos who knew the steps to making a successful replica and frankly most of their suggestions were balked at and ignored because they represented a slower path that stood in the way of the down and dirty nature of the build. Again we get it, you want to have an Ecto but you can't slap a few ecto specific parts and decals on your daily driver and not expect some level of criticism.

I think his Magnum is neat but to me it's not really an Ecto but more of a Ghostbusters utility vehicle for an independent franchise.

Jason, if you're cool with it, then I guess that's what matters but you had to realize that by posting a build thread, you need to be ready for criticism both constructive and gripe laden. Don't ignore advice then ask the same questions over and over again hoping for instruction that's quick and easy. Nothing about this hobby is quick and easy. It takes time and effort to get the best results. Alot of the folks here have some great knowledge and are trying to help you out.
Some_Guy, ProtonCharger, D-RAYMAC and 6 others liked this
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
Ok that's your opinion. But what something is depends on the eye of the beholder and the owner. Anyone that sees him on the road will call it an ecto, it's already happened he got a mention already. The point I'm making is instead of criticism he and all who make gb themed props should be getting praise on making their visions a reality.
Jimmy Miller, zeta otaku, Powlowski and 1 others liked this
I really didnt just slap everything on the car tho.. its been about 6 months or more to do this.. saving the money, buying the rack and lightbars, buy all the peices and painting and making them, etc.. but all those wouldnt have equalled a paint job.. not even half actually.. i am loving what ive done to my car! People love it, im going to be on the local radio sometime, they have mentioned me already, people stop and take pics all the time! (Its always parked in from of my job). I love it! No matter if its white or not!
solodarkprince wrote:The point I'm making is instead of criticism he and all who make gb themed props should be getting praise on making their visions a reality.
So you're basically saying that all the folks here on the boards who strive for complete accuracy and continue to research and track down the correct parts and dimensions shouldn't have worried about doing so because as long as it's close enough, you get your participation trophy and a pat on the back? A prop community thrives by those who go that extra mile and share their findings and techniques with the community so others can learn and ultimately benefit from their knowledge. Case in point - the slimeblower. For years everyone though that it had a motherboard and there were no definitive plans. That was until a few brave souls stepped up and really researched it did more definitive answers surface that allowed builders to construct screen accurate slimeblowers with correct fittings

I guess it's more surprising to me that Jason would splurge on a nice fiberglass shell and aluminum parts to make a really kick ass pack but not attack an ecto build with that same level of intensity.

Again, I give him utmost credit for having the desire to build an "ecto" and I realize that everyone has their own idea of what constitute an Ecto but if you look here on the forums most dedicated vehicles that call themselves Ectos are white just like the films, cartoons and video games.

Again it's the criticisms that make us better propbuilders. We don't grow and strive for better equipment if we settle for "well it makes me happy"
Some_Guy, D-RAYMAC, Vee and 4 others liked this
If we settled with "What makes us happy" everyone would be running around in this

I agree with Dark Spectre has to say on this matter. Intensive research and acceptance of feedback if key for proper building. Sitting here and expecting everyone to hand you all the information you want on a silver platter isn't going to build your car for you, even if you have the plans that someone else did, would you know how to make it? Would you know what materials to use? No.

That's why you rely on feedback. Going with "whatever I wanted to put on it" is what separates the people who think that god awful halloween costume is good, and the rest.
D-RAYMAC, Vee, ProtonCharger and 4 others liked this
No I'm not saying that. Didn't say that. Once again that's your take not mine. I'm saying that anyone who uses there own time and money to build GB related props that does a good job and are clearly loyal to the GB world in should be given the credit they have earned. Those who do it to the last detail are of course awesome for the work they have done. And those who take the time to make their own vision of these things and put real work into it deserve credit as well. By your definition as you put it then any car that is not a caddie wouldn't count regardless of the coloring. No. All with creativity in my book deserve praise.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]