I won't comment on the paint choice because you know how I feel about that...but the one thing that is like nails on a chalkboard to me about your car is the fact that you couldn't wait to have a good radome and instead went with an oil filter...I'm happy for you though that you're gonna be on the radio about your car, enjoy the press and welcome to the Ecto owners club, don't mess it up for the rest of us.
Donkey8012 liked this
Loren, why you no comment on my Jeep!?! You're only the king of the Ecto owners.

Also, I don't see a problem with the oil filter. Now, if he stuck that on a hearse conversion, then yeah, that's stupid. You fabricate props for a caddy and make it look film accurate...But on a modern conversion, I think its fine to fudge the pieces. Ohio had cola bottles for air tanks at one time, right? Not that I recommend it, but it's okay to not have a movie-accurate build on a modern car. I actually encourage it.

My radome isn't an oil filter, but PVC fittings. It's not completely different.
Powlowski liked this
Yes, it is your build, and yes, the most important thing is that you're happy. But it's plain for most to see that this isn't merely a replica built on a budget. Your posts indicate that you are unwilling to take the time and effort to build a quality replica. THAT is why you are getting called out, not because of "creative differences"
Chace, ProtonCharger liked this
solodarkprince wrote:Car is awesome! And the color makes it stand out from the norm. Unique is best. Add a laser projector on there at some point!
This comment is ridiculous. There are easily 20 times as many modern car conversions as there are Cadillac builds. Way to lower the bar. 30 seconds on instagram reveals that there are at least as many custom ectos as there are states in the union, they are incredibly common and owning one doesn't make a person unique.

People will scream "GHOSTBUSTERS!" when they see dudes wearing backpack leafblowers, I would hope an Ecto-1 builder's goal would be to achieve something more than that.
Some_Guy, Sutton621, Vee and 4 others liked this
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
There was a time when this site was more positive. Now because some of you make props and parts or only buy from certain places you believe yourselves to be the " WE SAY SO" corp. Terrible. And petty. So its been made clear that if anyone gives praise to someone on here if the self proclaimed experts dont agree then the "community" will bury it. Snidder, just know this, its the public opinion that matters only. You already getting props and shout outs so enjoy it, you made the car out of love for GB and its the croud at events whos opinion matters.
I guess I just don't get the freak out. Does his building his own Ecto have ANY IMPACT WHATSOEVER on anyone else's builds? Does it make all other Ectos suddenly not exist in the universe?

He never was building a screen-accurate Ecto-1. Rather, he was building his own Ecto Magnum. It can look like whatever he wants it to look like because as far as the films are concerned, it never existed. There is no historical basis to refer to, so it is completely open to interpretation.

Most of you will never meet Snidder or even see his car in person, so why go to all the fuss to go off on him? Dude just had some fun doing something related to a film that we all love. It doesn't make the film go away and doesn't suddenly take us all in to some mystical dimension where only grey Magnum Ectos are the vehicles left on the planet.

His fun time doesn't have any consequence whatsoever on anyone else's fun times. I just don't understand why people can't be just like "Hey, cool." Or "Not what I'd have done, but to each his own." Or just not say anything at all.

This is a community filled with people who all love Ghostbusters, who all were inspired by the same movie and the way it impacted us. It just seems like there should be more coming together and less division of the masses.

Regardless, I say good for you, Snidder, for having some fun with your friends and doing your own thing. It may not be a white Caddy, but it's YOUR personal way of showing your love for the franchise.

And if you enjoy it, that's all that matters!
Kevin Michael Pauley wrote:It can look like whatever he wants it to look like because as far as the films are concerned, it never existed. There is no historical basis to refer to, so it is completely open to interpretation.
...What? How--what? what? Now if this was a CGI film I'd agree with you but--WHAT?

The car is really there. It's physically there, which means it's real. It's tangible. What does these sentences even mean? Of course there's a historical basis to it. They had to find the parts, they had to craft the parts, and they had to make the Ecto! That's the POINT. How is something that physically exists 'open to interpretation'? If this was a theory like, if we never SAW the Ecto-1 then yeah! I'd agree with you; but we see it! We can clearly see the damn car and we know what it looks like, and what all goes on top of the damn thing. What part of an Ecto assembly is open to interpretation? Sure the USES of the items are--but the physical items themselves are clearly there, there's nothing to sit and theorize going "I wonder what's on top of the roof".

We're not talking about the car persay, custom Ectos can be and are extremely well done; we're talking about the choices being made in the construction of the Ecto. Funding is a major factor in a huge project like this, and when you start to smudge and cut corners you continue to do so until it goes from Ecto-1 to Ecto-"EH, GOOD ENOUGH" and you wind up with something that looks like it's a one-timey build for a Halloween parade.

If this is something that's meant to last for many years, make it look like it's going to last for many years. In my opinion, it looks like a Halloween one-off right now.
I just don't understand why people can't be just like "Hey, cool." Or "Not what I'd have done, but to each his own." Or just not say anything at all.
Hi, hello, welcome to an internet forum where people are going to post opinions regardless of what the OP wants or not.

If he's happy with it, fine--but expecting everyone else to give him buttpats is something completely different.
Sutton621, ProtonCharger, Ketchum and 1 others liked this
Hey fellas the silver that your all bashin on technically is on the end of the canon spectrum. Look at the special edition releases of some of the model ectos. I believe at least one or two were in fact silver. Besides the point its not an original vintage movie ecto. Its a modern updated version that is a quality build. Not some heap that's randomly tossed and cobbled together. You may not agree to what he's building or how he may be approaching said project. However you ALL need to take massive step back, take a breather and show a bit more respect to your fellow gb members. Yes a certain amount of criticism is to be expected, but not to this extent. Its pushing to the point of too far. This thread has turned into a cyclic debate that isn't benefiting anyone, especially Jason who
Intially posted in hopes of help & support in finding parts and reasonable alternative solutions in area that which could potentially be problematic. Maybe he should have worded some of the posts with better clarity. Its still no excuse to gang up and continually harp on rediundant, negative non-issues. Your not obligated to agree or love it, but you should support him regardless. I realize that this post will be buried by the end of the day with negative feedback but before you click that button -seriously think about it. How is the honestly being beneficial and helping a fellow community member?
TexasBuster wrote:Loren, why you no comment on my Jeep!?! You're only the king of the Ecto owners.

Also, I don't see a problem with the oil filter. Now, if he stuck that on a hearse conversion, then yeah, that's stupid. You fabricate props for a caddy and make it look film accurate...But on a modern conversion, I think its fine to fudge the pieces. Ohio had cola bottles for air tanks at one time, right? Not that I recommend it, but it's okay to not have a movie-accurate build on a modern car. I actually encourage it.

My radome isn't an oil filter, but PVC fittings. It's not completely different.
I'll comment when I get a chance to look at your thread. Here's the problem with the oil filter (and by extension the 2-liter bottles): it looks cheap and not well thought out. The original post mentions that this won't be done cheap. The oil filter SCREAMS cheap. Jason and I had private conversations about his choice to use what he did so I won't belabor the point. This is an issue that Boomerjinks and many others have said here before, it doesn't matter what you start with, but you have to consider the asthetics and appearance when choosing what to use. If it looks cobbled together and people think you spent $50 on it, you're gonna catch flack because it implies you were impatient, cheap, uncaring or a combination of the three. A prime example of a well thought out ecto that looks NOTHING like the movie car is XxEctOxX's. He sought feedback, responded to critiques and look at how well his turned out.

Jason's project does have its shortcomings, my car has its shortcomings. I'm not going to sit here and destroy him for making what many see is a failed Ecto attempt because it's not a disaster. The only thing I will do is reiterate the fact that if it looks hastily thrown together without much thought or little budget, you might like it but others won't and it'll look like poop. Indirectly I have a stake in all Ectomobile projects because we get lumped together as a whole. And quite frankly...there are times when I'm embarassed to be an Ecto owner based off of some people's works, but this project is not one of those times.
It's not about building an accurate Cadillac Ecto-1 replica. No one here is decrying Snidder for not having a car that looks exactly like the one in the movie. Stop focusing on that strawman argument.

It's your Ecto. My advice when it comes to Ecto building is making sure that everything on your car is a CONSCIOUS decision - instead of just hastily slapping on whatever you find and then realizing later that it's not what you intended....
The advice given in this thread, both constructive and negative criticism, has been to encourage Snidder to make his projects as good as they can possibly be. Seriously, the first friggen page was filled with people saying, "Don't settle for just another off-color car with lightbars and logos on the doors, there's more that can be done, there's more that you can do."

So don't throw around that "the community is too negative" crap.

To be 100% honest, I think the car looks fine. The roofrack isn't made of rotting wood, and the tanks aren't held on precariously with plumbers tape, and the electronics are not being driven by a cigarette lighter port. If I had to voice a complaint, it's that his car isn't something Ghostbusters fans haven't seen before. Which is fine. It's just not really what the people in this community are looking for.

Since 2008 I feel like I have been engaged in an arms race with other Ecto builders. It's exciting, and it's invigorating. I have a lot of friends in this group and I'd like to think that I pushed myself to impress them, or at the very least show them something new and just a little bit exciting. I don't really feel it's a competition, it's just really fun to "wow" people, and it's hard for me to understand why someone wouldn't aim to do new things, or at least strive to be the best.

Who will have a motorized rack?

Who will have all the correct warning labels?

Who will be have programmable scrolling LED signs?

Who will successfully integrate Ecto-1A-style rotator colors?

Who will devise a creative system to store 4 packs that roll out, but doesn't eliminate a seat in the car?

Who will have lasers or scanning effects integrated with their rack?

Who will succeed in having smoke effects emanate from the car?

Only a TINY handful of those things could be considered "accurate" to the original 1959 Cadillac in the movie, and in fact, the ones that have been achieved have almost all been done with modern, non-cadillac cars. Maybe I'm entirely alone in this sentiment, but the reason I keep up with the Ectomobiles subforum is to see what kinds of innovations people are making with their cars. Sitting around waiting for the next person to stick some lights and logos on their car is boring as hell, and that's why there are very few internet points being handed out in this thread.

Lastly, I don't think Vee and Some_Guy are articulating it very well, and are actually getting distracted by the weirdos pulling bizarre methods of reasoning out of their butts. This thread is what it is because of Snidder's bumbling, hap-hazard approach to the build, mostly the way he's portrayed himself as a hap-hazard, bumbling builder.

That's why people are frustrated. But, like I said in my initial post, some people just want to have a base-model Ecto replica that kids will take pictures with and drunks will holler at. That's easy, and don't expect a parade from the people that have been seeing it happen over and over and over since GBfans first came online.
Some_Guy, Vee, ProtonCharger and 4 others liked this
Boomerjinks wrote:Lastly, I don't think Vee and Some_Guy are articulating it very well, and are actually getting distracted by the weirdos pulling bizarre methods of reasoning out of their butts. This thread is what it is because of Snidder's bumbling, hap-hazard approach to the build, mostly the way he's portrayed himself as a hap-hazard, bumbling builder.
YES THAT JESUS THANK YOU.

I was getting so frustrated I couldn't properly portray everything the way I wanted it to. This. Thisthisthisthisthis.
We've said all that needs to be said, guys. Snidder seems to have left the thread and its bordering on personal attacks, which isn't cool and honestly, there's no reason for.

Enjoy your car, man. That's all that really matters in the end. I still want the directional antenna.

It needs to be white
KCGhostbuster liked this
Nope still here! Had a event this weekend.. showed off the car people loved it! They took alot of pics, rans lights and sound a bunch of times! HUGE success! The cleveland ghostbusters stopped by to check it out and they also loved it! I tell ya, no matter the flaws, color, shape, size, i love it! I love driving down roads and seeing people do double takes and flying up beside me to catch up and take pics on the highways.. it Geat!
SnidderEcto1 wrote:Hatch opens just fine!

yea i got to touch up the tube.. it was a P.I.T.A. getting on..

Over the weeks I've seen a thread where people are eager to control how someone else does things. I've seen owners of Ectomobiles ( who took liberties ) ripping on a guy who took liberties. If you don't like it, why even come here to bash the guy? If your aim isn't to force your point of view on the guy, you could just as easily leave the thread in silence and it will disappear. ...but no, people jump on him in the hopes that they'll change his point of view which is unfortunately often a staple of this place. It isn't helping, it's just showing me the true colors of so many here. Bash, bash, bash until the new guy sees it their way.

So what if he doesn't do research? So what if he can't figure out how to find threads? You have the total and complete freedom to say nothing and let the thread just die, but no, here comes the barrage of ripping on him and then voting down posts so that comments get buried. How's that working out? Have you changed him? Is he better now? Did you make the world a better place or did you just rip on a guy? So far I see a guy who despite the assault seems to be keeping a pretty chipper attitude on this thread.

This forum got accused of having "heavies" at one time and looking at what I see here, it still does. The daily/frequent poster, the 800-lb gorilla, the forum member who is "better" than the little guy and bullies until their will is supreme. What the hell? Sorry if some of you don't like the "the community is too negative" crap but yeah, it really is. Those of you who are heavies can't see it because you're too busy enjoying the 800-lb gorilla status. Any outsider looking in for the first time is seeing a really ugly side of how this place works which is a real shame because I've met some of you and as individuals you're pretty okay, at least until it's time to get on the forum.

There's parts about the car I don't care for, there's parts about it I do. The lightbars look great SnidderEcto1. I think you made a good choice with those. I see in the second pic the lightbar is bumping the rack. I'd put a rubber chair-foot bumper on it to prevent damage to the lightbar, that's about it. Someday you may regret that you didn't make the weather antenna something that can be removed or lowered. Sooner or later some Ecto owners have a need to remove or lower that. Just a thought. It's yours, you're happy with it, ergo mission: accomplished. I've seen cars way more deserving of criticism so I can only believe this thread is about making you see it someone else's way, not about things necessarily done "wrong."

Downvote my response and prove me right.
DefenderDarko, Charnel, Jimmy Miller and 6 others liked this
thank you fifthrider!! but to tell u that pic u are talking about.. they arent actually touching.. the light bars bow in the middle, hey remind me of a bow tie... the tube of the little dish fits right in the middle of the light.. just looks like they are touching because the side view of the pic..
Jimmy Miller liked this
I actually saw this car over the weekend at free comic book day in Fremont. It looked good enough, personally I think there should be more gadget's on the roof rack but that's a matter of opinion I guess. I never saw the driver though. I met two gb's in the parking lot and two at the table inside the store. I donated some and got some comics all in all a fun time.
20 pages....hrmmm...

Ok I think some of this thread has fallen victim to the "many subtle levels of fandom" in some regards here.

There are some things I am not fond of about this ecto...but overall...for a man working on a budget it didnt come out that bad. Some folks dont have the vast pool of cash to work with that others have when it come to their props....and on that note not having a vast pool of cash is by no means a reason to NOT do it or at least try to do it when it comes to your vision on what you are building. It just means you have to have a better plan and be a little more savvy on how you build.

The overall product turned out pretty well considering some of the pitfalls you have had. I agree with some of the folks who have posted here about your ecto...your research seemed lacking in many ways...and when people gave constructive critism on some areas you disregarded it. This is of course why you have taken flak from folks...your initial description of your project contradicted your methods. Stating that "it would not be done cheaply" means soemthing different depending on who you are speaking too..... How does your ecto compare to some of the other magnums bombing around town? Im afraid your gonna come in dead last there compared to Boomerjinks or Chace...but thats not something you care about, so at the end of the day it doesnt really matter. Propping, whether it be proton packs or ectos, are never truly finished. There is always something to replace or upgrade.... I think you should look at your ecto from this standpoint and know that there are things you can do to make it even better then it is.

Here are my suggestions and others can chime in to blast me or agree with me as they wish....

1.) Paint it white. (it doesnt have to be white...however Ecto-1 and 1A were white therefore to a superfan community and the public at large white is the expected canon color)

2.) You need more gadgets on that rack.....there is a plethora of things to chose from that you could integrate onto your existing rack in the future...you could maybe even fabricate the large trap that was on Ecto 1 in GB:TVG during the street stage...something like that would fuel the "creative liberties" you have taken

3.) Find some accurate door logos. That white outline sticks out like a sore thumb, especially to folks on this community.

4.) Caution Striping....nuff said

5.) Lower profile lightbars... the lightbars you have while effective are just too tall for a magnum.... could be something you could look into down the road...maybe work out a trade or sell them and use the money to help fund a new set.

6.) Lose the door trim. I hate trim like that running down the side of my vehicle so I probably would have looked for a model that didnt have it when I bought it..but for those that have it...it really is a pretty easy modification to make especially if you had it done while having it painted.

Honestly if I were doing an ecto conversion id be on a budget and it would probably come out something like this ecto has...I just would have been a little more OCD with certain details.

Overall your ecto gets a 3 out of a possible 5 stars and a big E for effort. This build could have been better BUT the end result is still a good representation of an ecto. Enjoy your ride and the attention that comes with it....
Vee liked this
69428scj wrote: Indirectly I have a stake in all Ectomobile projects because we get lumped together as a whole. And quite frankly...there are times when I'm embarassed to be an Ecto owner based off of some people's works, but this project is not one of those times.
Restoring a busted caddy from the ground up requires a shitton of cash and a team with talents in body work, electrical, mechanical and interior work....Thats like comparing Joe Schoe's home garage restoration with limited funds and know how to a full on Chip Foose body off restoration....its not the same ball park, hell its not even the same sport.

Anyone lumping you in with something like a magnum ecto conversion doesnt know what they are looking at and doesn't belong anywhere near a car.
lunchbox739 wrote:
69428scj wrote: Indirectly I have a stake in all Ectomobile projects because we get lumped together as a whole. And quite frankly...there are times when I'm embarassed to be an Ecto owner based off of some people's works, but this project is not one of those times.
Restoring a busted caddy from the ground up requires a shitton of cash and a team with talents in body work, electrical, mechanical and interior work....Thats like comparing Joe Schoe's home garage restoration with limited funds and know how to a full on Chip Foose body off restoration....its not the same ball park, hell its not even the same sport.

Anyone lumping you in with something like a magnum ecto conversion doesnt know what they are looking at and doesn't belong anywhere near a car.
Yeaaaah, Loren owns a car that is actually better than the one from the movie and is more accurate than the official Sony car. Honestly, he's ascended to a level that most of us never will.

There's a HUGE divide between building a tribute and actually fabricating a replica. There's a reason Loren's car sits in museum exhibits and convention halls and mine has photos taken outside of Taco Mayo.
D-RAYMAC liked this
My blue hose has been permanently attached to my Pontiac for almost three years now, and it doesn't give me any problems on the road. It flails a little because of the wind and rubs the paint in a couple places, but it doesn't really damage the car. Then again, my Ecto was painted with tractor paint...
Ron Daniels liked this
Several posts here have been deleted. This thread is about Snidder's Ectomobile. If your post is not regarding that subject, or if your post is otherwise in violation of an established rule of this forum it will be deleted and you will be sent a warning.

Please continue with on topic discussion.
so during the winter i took the lights and rack off.. decided to do somethings better and add things to the rack. i got the rack powder coated, added the box in the rack, repainted the long tube like a slime green color, and had a new sniffer made from my buddy Jimmy Miller (he also made my radar dish not shown) . here are pics.

here is me and Jimmy we just finished the wiring and put the interior back together when this pic was takin.

gonna add the blue tubes back on sometime.. trying to mount them a little different.. got 2 110lb magnet to mount them on to the gas tank lid..

well thanks for looking!

SnidderEcto1

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]