By venkman71
Is accurization even a word?

I don't know. :sigh:

Hey! Happy 2014, Ghostheads and fellow builders!

I'm really trying my hardest this year to finish all of my builds. Too much on the bench and not enough on the wall, y'know?

Anyway, I figured a good way to keep one motivated would be to make a post and be held accountable. ;-)

So here it is. Been a while. Since I started this game there are a whole lot more Ectos on the road and if these beautiful cars running around don't motivate a fella to up his game well then I just don't know what.

For the longest time I was just glad to have my Ecto in some state of finished and running. But now, with all the research and reference that's come round since Got Maul and I snapped those original shots of the Ecto and the 1-A many, many years ago there's no excuse except for laziness, (well,...and maybe time and money too), to not have a pretty damn accurate Ecto-1 if you take the time and go slow.

To get back in the game, I updated the box that sits in place of the Texas Instruments Cross-Section Sensitivity unit behind the ladder on the Ecto's roof rack.

Here she was, Only ever a throw-together intended to be accurized later. Later came several years and many seasons of the Southern California sun later. It was stripped and in bad need of a refurb.

So,...off to Apex. If you're in So-Cal, you've all been there and you've all feared them finding your skeleton under a fallen box But we go anyway,....because we're stupid.

AND you find stuff! Armed with that nifty new reference I was talking about I was able to get enough of the components to come pretty close to the right look, (finally) of the T.I. unit.

Here she is all assembled,...

So,....I'm looking at it and it looks GOOD but it's still smaller than the actual T.I. unit. So I'm looking at the pics of the Ecto just after the refurb and cross-referencing it with the pics from the Sony lot and I'm like,..."I can bend aluminum over a frame,...cannibalize some enclosures from another component,..."

So, since this is the year of no fear and doing it right,....I went back to Apex,...for a long time,....for a couple of lunch-breaks a week for a few weeks and I was able to get some nice vintage goodies that are just perfect for the period in avionics that they originally set-dressed the Ecto with.

So while I'll be scratch building the major components to match the screen used,...some of the more boring boxes will be substituted with alternate period avionics and aircraft panels.

The goal is for it to FEEL like the Ecto feels if not looking 100%

Anyway,...blah-blah-blah, Venky. On to the pics.

Here's a perfect example of vintage aircraft greeblies.

For any of you guys set dressing your various Ectos,...59 or not, Cadillac or not, there has GOT to be a place like APEX wherever you are. Even if it's a two hour drive, if you can spend a little bit for authenticity, I cannot stress vintage enough. It just looks so good. Especially for the Ecto, y'know?

Anyway, thanks fer' looking.

Hope to update this thread often.

And if anyone wants a slightly accurate grey box for the top of their Ecto, lemme know. ;)

V71
jackdoud, Kingpin liked this
Great stuff! I could have spent hours digging through Apex when I was out there a year ago but the guys I were with aren't as intrepid as I am. Add in rain to keep me from digging trough the outside area too much and I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked. California has all the best stuff for props, best we have out here is an amish run junkyard an hour from my house that's mostly scrap metal.

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?