Hi everyone. I was just curious as to how many ecto owners out there drive their ecto on a daily bases? I'm one of the ecto owners who's ecto is drivin on a daily bases. I love seeing how many ppl love seeing the car out and about and how many ppl start singing ghostbusters. One thing I've came to realize is that my car is an attention whore. Whether I'm stopped for gas or even waiting at a red light ppl will get out of their vehicle just to take pictures. It's a great feeling. Hell we even got to drive my ecto through our local mall for their Christmas parade. And yes it was indoors. So again I was just curious as to how many daily ecto drivers are out there? Oh one more thing. It's crazy how many ppl think the eq rack actually does something. I play along with the part of it being a cold fusion powered storage unit. It's funny when they start to back away from the car.
Do you have your roof rack mounted at all times as well? That thing is a beauty, but it's huge! Any issues with it ever?
Most folks with older cars will reserve taking them out for special events due to the following reasons:

1) Cost. It might not be as bad with some of the Ectomobiles made out of current commercial vehicles, but '59 era vehicles are rather notorious when it comes to fuel consumption, and their owners limit the number of days they're out and about to cut down the fuel cost.

2) Wear and tear. This is again an issue that's not quite so bad with newer vehicles, but once over half a century's been added to an Ectomobile's road use there are elements that the owner will want to reduce fatigue on by limiting said vehicle's use.

3) People. As has been seen with a couple of very predominant examples... there are idiots out there who like to climb all over the cars. Reducing the amount of time an Ectomobile is sat on a public street reduces the risk of some idiot damaging something on the car.

4) Car wrecks. The more often an Ectomobile is driven in public, the greater its chances are of someone hitting it, or it accidentally hitting someone (this would skyrocket further if we're talking about a vintage car which has had a part suddenly fail).

There are more reasons, but that's the gist. I've seen more than a few posts by Sean Bishop and Bryan Fear detailing the TLC they've had to employ after taking one of their cars out to an event.
If I had an old caddy for an ecto I would hardly take it out. Only for events. I've talked to martin who has the ecto in Montreal and it gets expensive to transport that car from his place to any event. So I do understand that point. I can take my rack down but it takes some time doing that. It's secured very well to my roof. Yes I also agree it is huge. But it's all I had to work with. I'm on disability due to eye problems so spending lots of cash to make an almost exact eq rack was not an option for me. Same as painting the car white. I am trying to save up so that one day it can be white. It's not a replica by far but it's mine and I am more then happy with how it turned out. I use to only bring it out for events but the wife's car crapped out so my ecto has become our daily driver for now. This was the first winter the car saw snow. But as soon as we can get her another car so mine can be put back into its warm garage it gets to be the attention hog she is. All the lights work on it. I did the wire img myself. All parts on it are stuff I found laying around.

I had taken the rack off for winter tho. Ppl kept asking when it was getting put back on cuz they said the car just didn't look the same. Sone said she looked naked without the rack. But she is all back together now.

But I think I started something in my town now cuz I have noticed someone is driving an a-team van around now. Still trying to find out who it is so we can meet up and get some pictures together.

I'm not done with my car yet. There are still other things I wanna build and add to it. I got two small strobe flashers for the grill now. So I can't wait to add them. I still have to hook my cb back up so I can use the PA system. I have installed an extra cd deck into the car which allows me to hook up a smart phone and use the ecto siren app through the pa speaker on the eq rack. as you can tell I love my car as I think I have gone on long enough for now. Sorry for the long post but if you have read this far then thanks for reading.
Ecto SF drives almost daily... even in the rain .... i would say 4days out of 7. It always hits the town on a Friday or Saturday night.
She is a pig on Gas and never parks in a parking garage that's isn't less than 9" of clearance...

I'm a why have it if you cant drive it anytime you want kinda guy...just be fair if we have a event out of town it does get in the car trailer as doing all she can to stay at 55mph makes for long trips..i like to get there and get home in the same day..lol

Awesome! It's a complex but very fun build... Went[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]