By joearlo
Hey GB Fans!

First post here and wanted to introduce my new project. I think my love-affair with cars began as a child watching Ghostbusters and the Ecto-1. I went on to build my career in the auto industry, working for various manufacturers as an engineer and product strategist. When Cadillac debuted the most recent wagon I always wanted to build a modern Ecto-1. Since I'm also a racer, I didn't want to settle with the standard CTS Wagon, but dreamed of the Corvette-powered CTS-V as my foundation.

It took me a full year to locate a white CTS-V wagon with 6-speed manual transmission. GM made approximately 1,500 CTS-V wagons between 2011-2014, of which only 200 were manual. Consider the split of colors, and there are likely only a handful of white manual V's out there. So I was really excited to find one I could actually afford.

I won't be going as far out as some of you die hards on the forum, but I am looking forward to "joining the club." This car will be a Daily Driver as well as Weekend Racer. Its at the body shop now getting some decals and it will head over to the dyno for a little extra horsepower :)

That's a big twinkie . . . .

Ecto-1 fan liked this
By Ecto-1 fan
Whoa!
Awesome first post! :D
Welcome aboard, congrats on the car. Keep us informed, and ask lots of questions. Lots of helpful people here, and Ecto owners are usually pretty decent car guys, too.

Enjoy the ride!
By 69428scj
Welcome! As a fellow "vagon" owner, I'm curious to know where you got the 1500 production number from. Do you intend to do any drilling into the metal? I'm anxious to see how you tackle this considering the rarity of our cars.
By ramcuda
For sure the best handling Ecto around quickest to ....
By zeta otaku
Nice choice! And it's a Caddie too :D

Seeing as how you won't be going full out Ecto with it, I can't recommend grabbing some magnetic door logos. My Magnum has three... had to do some carving on the magnet side for it to contour to the hatch angle. I've gotten my Ecto up to 110 MPH (shhh, don't tell anyone) and they've stayed put even though they came with a warning they weren't rated for anything above 50 MPH. Do the vinyl ones look better? sure, but these are a nice runner up if you don't want/can have your Ecto be an Ecto all the time (I work in construction and... yeah, 2 years ago someone saw my proton pack in the trunk and I'm STILL getting crap for it... I don't want to think how bad it would get if I had the logos on all the time)
By joearlo
69428scj wrote:Welcome! As a fellow "vagon" owner, I'm curious to know where you got the 1500 production number from. Do you intend to do any drilling into the metal? I'm anxious to see how you tackle this considering the rarity of our cars.
Thanks for all the support guys, and glad to meet another Vagon owner! I will be doing vinyl decals, but no lights or roof box right now. If I can figure out a way to build something that is easily removable (for track days) then maybe I'll go "all in." But for right now this is more of a tribute to the original Ecto than a true conversion or replica.

I already get crap from my friends about driving a "Grocery Getter." They all drive fancy European sportscars. I can't wait to see their faces after I pull up in my "GB Livery" with 700+hp!
zeta otaku liked this
By joearlo
I'm still not happy with the stripe along the side, need to find a better vinyl shop, but otherwise really happy with the outcome so far. Love the smiles from people on the street.

And its at about 670 hp right now, which is fun too :)

By Chace
joearlo wrote:need to find a better vinyl shop,

Nothing so points out that your Ecto isn't white like a white ghost on the side causing color contrast. It's a problem we Magnum owners have too....Might I suggest a two layer replacement (black and red) leaving the body paint of the car as the white of the ghost.
By joearlo
Ghosthead I am in the Bay Area, living in Millbrae. I have been a very good WeaponX customer so far this year :)

Chance, I thought about this. The White Diamond paint has a pearl effect and really changes color depending on the light. I felt it would look more awkward to have the ghost have a pearl effect than to have it mismatch the paint.

The endgame would be a full body wrap in a nice matte white, but I'll need a while to save up the funds for that.
By 69428scj
Oh very nice, I used to live in Vallejo. I don't live there anymore thankfully, I don't have to worry about silly CARB-approved go-fast parts only for my vagon. I'm jealous though, yours is a 6M and I have the auto :-(
By Boomerjinks
Chace wrote: Nothing so points out that your Ecto isn't white like a white ghost on the side causing color contrast. .
This.
Chace liked this
By Chace
As Boomerjinks well knows I have made MANY a vinyl foul on my Ecto....but I assure you that this....and I am sorry for the pic quality
Image A GB1 logo in white on a non white car (in this case my Magnum)

is TONS more noticeable than this
ImageA GB II Logo in dual vinyl with the car supplying the white

And in answer to Loren...the Magnums are white too...it's called Stone White...but it still looks off when put up against a TRUE white...the same is true for the Caddy Pearl...But if all of the whites are the SAME white...then no one will notice.
Cory GB Maine liked this
By DefenderDarko
I say it looks fine. The logo and car aren't the same thing, they don't have to match 100%. A no-ghost logo is white, not metallic or pearl.

That car is looking nice as it is. The red stripe is tasteful and works with the body lines perfectly.

Go forward!

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]