I understand the answer to this question can vary wildly. It has always been my dream to own a '59 ambulance / hearse of some sort and convert it into an Ecto 1. I know there are many different models from that year.

Let's say I can find one that isn't completely rusted out, but isn't running. Probably needs a few years of TLC to get it running, but the body is all there as well as trim and accessories?

What can I expect to pay for that? $4,000? $7,000? Over 10? What have some of you paid (if you don't mind me asking, of course) to buy into this amazing club?

I know this is a vague question for a very unique car. I have spent the last week googling for recent auctions of the last few years, and the price jumps from $5,000 to $55,000. I figured I would ask those who would have the best advice on the subject.
My buddy, SabaSka109 has paid well over a $100,000 for his Ecto-1 Project already. He's probably gonna be closer to $150,000-200,000 before he's done. Hell, I have a 1963 Ambulance and its exactly what you described: the whole car is there, the motor doesn't run right now and it needs some rust repair; and I will probably end up paying $40,000-50,000 for my restoration! And I'm just restoring it; I'm not turning it into an Ecto.
My bad, I misread your post as "how much for a 1959 Ambulance/Hearse car project?" Whoops. Yeah, I paid $8,000 for my car and it doesn't even run. Sabaska109 and I ALMOST won a 1959 Miller and Meteor that was all there a few months ago for $20,000. That car ended up going for over $21,000 and was shipped over seas.
zombielucas wrote:Wow, that is gorgeous. Does the Futura model have suicide doors on the rear doors?

Wow that red one was rough. Looks like he is making good progress.
You're thinking of the Superior. You can tell types of 59s usually by the rear corner glass.

Miller Meteor

Eureka

Superior

S&S
CPU64 liked this
The red one is mine, I have been working pretty hard to get it in shape. I have 90% of all the body panels to put into it, just waiting for favorable weather to get it all done.

Miller Meteor gave an option for suicide doors for the 59 Futuras, but they were special order. So finding a Futura with suicide doors is difficult. I have only seen two. I have a friend that has a 60 Futura with suicide doors. They have a faux middle pillar attached to the rear door to make them look nearly identical to their alternate counterparts.

I've noticed a lot of people asking for a price range on buying any Ambulance or Hearse from this era. Even though the initial investment can be minimal ($500-$20,000), the over all cost is pretty much impossible to figure with numbers. Parts are not easy to find, and they break often. When buying one of these types of vehicles you have to be ready to commit to what seems like an endless amount of upkeep and repairs. I mean it's worth every moment to me, but it's a realization that I think is overlooked when people begin down the path of "I want an old hearse/ambulance Ecto".
Boomerjinks, thanks for the examples. I knew about the MM, but didn't completely understand the variations in the other models.

gb4ever, that is great advice. I understand how classic cars can be an ongoing passion and investment. Especially something as large and rare as this. I had a '65 Chevelle through High School, and a '72 all through college up until this last year. My dream car is definitely a '59 conversion. Always has been. I know it's an investment up front, and an ongoing project. And I don't mind.

I'm at a time in my life that would work best to invest in one. At least I feel that way, I don't have kids yet but am married with a stable career. I want to buy in while it's easier to justify, and then spend some time while I am younger and my kids are young building it. Ideally I would love to share it with them when they are younger. Luckily my father and father-in-law are motor-heads. Working on this as a big family project would be really great.

gb4ever, is yours running?
gb4ever wrote:Mine is a 1959 Miller Meteor Futura...

Here's a WIP photo with it next to my friends 60' superior...
I saw a video on Youtube of an Ecto like that. If it's the same car it's amazing.
gb4ever wrote:Mine currently does not run. It's a large project. The previous owner was going to cut it in two and make a BBQ Grill out of it because he didn't feel like working to restore it.
BLASPHEMY! It doesn't matter if you plan to turn it into an Ecto or just restore it, you don't chop car like that in half and use it as a BBQ Grill.
Speaking of chopping, I have a 68 impala Wagon with quite a bit of rust. Found a chassis and body in great condition without motor and transmission. Which was perfect because that's the only good parts in mine. So all I had to do was swap. The price and shipping went over my budget so I lost that. The owner said if it didn't sell, they would put a motor and run it in a destruction derby... I almost got sick when I read that.
I met a guy who owns a lot of VW Beetles here in Denver. He loved to buy them, take the good parts and then scrap the rest. I didn't want to hear that, but his explanation was the more crappy rusted out Beetles removed from the roads, the more rare and valuable the other Beetles he owned would be worth.

I don't know if you can say that same thing would be true for 59 Cadillac's since there were 21.5 million VW Beetles produced in total, compared to the small number of 59's. It is disappointing to see any car of value sold for scrap... but some cars are just beyond repair.
AJ Quick wrote: It is disappointing to see any car of value sold for scrap... but some cars are just beyond repair.
You're right, AJ. here's an example of a very rare car, a '61 Eureka flower car. I've never seen a pic of another one, although there might be a (very) few. Frame and everything below the belt line is completely rusted through.

If this was a Ferrari GTO, it would be restorable, but it's not, so it isn't.
AJ Quick wrote:We need to get a 3D scanner and then digitally fabricate replicas.
What would be some of the big hurdles to make aftermarket kits for a '59? Just the size and unique nature of the car? I know some cars you can by a kit version of, like a Shelby. I suppose there is probably a larger market for a Shelby over a specific year of a professional car.
lotuseleven wrote:
AJ Quick wrote: It is disappointing to see any car of value sold for scrap... but some cars are just beyond repair.
You're right, AJ. here's an example of a very rare car, a '61 Eureka flower car. I've never seen a pic of another one, although there might be a (very) few. Frame and everything below the belt line is completely rusted through.

If this was a Ferrari GTO, it would be restorable, but it's not, so it isn't.

It's technically restorable to the right person. It just depends on whether you dreamed of owning an old flower car or not.
lifelongfan liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]