By 2d.Dalton
The Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, VA currently has a Hollywood Cars exhibit until September 5 that includes the 1969 General Lee from 2005 The Dukes of Hazzard movie, the 1974 Gran Torino from the Starsky & Hutch TV series as well as the crown jewel of the collection, Ecto-1. This was the promotional Ecto-1 that was used to travel around the country for the first Ghostbusters movie. This vehicle is always an attention grabber and has captured my fascination since the 80s. And this thing is huge! I can imagine trying to drive this thing through the busy streets of NYC.

In the back of Ecto-1 was a Proton Pack. I'm guessing it was fan made and not one of the ones used in the film.

Sitting on the passenger side of the dash was a plush Slimer as well as Silmer figure from The Real Ghostbusters line.
By Boomerjinks
This is the Ohio/Indiana car, right? (I would say "current" Ohio/Indiana car because Loren's isn't out and about just yet).

That picture really shows exactly what I love most about the Ecto-1, and that is the combination of strong primary colors. It is like a rich, vibrant toy brought to life. Love it love it love it.
By Bloodvayne
Looks like I am taking a road trip over there! I have pics aside of the George Barris Ecto in Pigeon Forge, TN. But if this is truly the Ecto that was used on the promotional tour. I have to have my mother dig thru old pics of me. Cause i saw this ecto back in the 80's in Philly with my parents when I was a kiddo with that guy (forgot his name) that was touring with it in uniform. Would be nice to visit it again.
By 69428scj
This is the George Barris-made promotional Ecto/primered Ecto in the movie formerly owned by Bob Lintz of Rocky River, Ohio. He has not owned the car for about 2 years now and as you can clearly see owned by a man in Virginia.
By Ectofiend666
69428scj wrote:This is the George Barris-made promotional Ecto/primered Ecto in the movie formerly owned by Bob Lintz of Rocky River, Ohio. He has not owned the car for about 2 years now and as you can clearly see owned by a man in Virginia.
69428scj wrote:This is the George Barris-made promotional Ecto/primered Ecto in the movie formerly owned by Bob Lintz of Rocky River, Ohio. He has not owned the car for about 2 years now and as you can clearly see owned by a man in Virginia.
Still don't believe Barris had anything to do with that particular Ecto-1....I've seen pictures of his supposed "replicas", and they are HORRENDOUS...No to mention the current owner of this car makes no mention of him in the video...And considering how Barris takes credit for EVERYTHING, the seller that sold it to this guy was most likely misinformed, due to the insane amount of people believing his claims, and running with it as fact...

Case in point:

And I believe this is another "Barris beauty":

By Ectofiend666
69428scj wrote:Not true, read here for the history of this car
Not being out of the way, but the article, in regards to Barris, reads -
"The conversion was reportedly done by the "King of Kustomizers", George Barris..."
Not to mention the article makes it sound like they are talking about the SONY original, and not the "primer" car...

Again it looks like a case of gross misinformation about the whole "Barris" thing on the part of the author...

I admittedly I know very little of the papertrail in regards to the previous owners of the "beater" Ecto, save for Columbia (Pre-SONY), but I'm still under the firm belief that he had nothing to do with any of the car's construction, including this one...
By 69428scj
I drew the conclusion that the Hero car is NOT the primered car because I have seen pics of both pre-conversion. The primered you can see in the pics I submitted in the thread, the hero car was a beige color. I should probably clarify that I neglected to save the images from when the car was put up for auction on eBay 2 summers ago. There was paperwork that was posted that had Barris' company logo on it referring to the conversion as I alluded to in this thread. Trust me when I say this car is the reason George claims he did the car. I've done enough research to know what I'm talking about!
By Ectofiend666
69428scj wrote:I drew the conclusion that the Hero car is NOT the primered car because I have seen pics of both pre-conversion. The primered you can see in the pics I submitted in the thread, the hero car was a beige color. I should probably clarify that I neglected to save the images from when the car was put up for auction on eBay 2 summers ago. There was paperwork that was posted that had Barris' company logo on it referring to the conversion as I alluded to in this thread. Trust me when I say this car is the reason George claims he did the car. I've done enough research to know what I'm talking about!
Look...I'm not trying to pick a fight...And yes the "Primer" car and the "Hero" car are two separate vehicles...I wish I could cull together the few articles, and/or message board posts that I've read over the years that prove this (my memory of which actual boards or sites in question is fuzzy to say the least), not that I need to convince you as you now already know...

However as I've seen a TON of false and.or forged "COAs" over the years, and considering Barris's history with claiming work that is, in fact, not his, you'll hopefully understand why I'm still skeptical...Though I don't doubt you that because of these elusive documents that this is the reason he thinks he has claim to the car's creation, though I honestly think he would have said that anyways if asked regardless...

Not to mention I've seen one confirmed "Barris Ecto" and 2 other reported ones over the years, and all 3 car's shoddy craftmanship and COMPLETE ignorance to detail make it even harder for me to accept that he worked on this car...

In the end, maybe he, or his shop at the very least did...But I will forever remain skeptical until I see concrete proof, or read/hear something from someone who was actually present during it's conversion...Be it an ex-CEO of Columbia that commissioned it for the touring circuit, or one of the mechanics that actually worked on he car itself...And the chance of that happening is next to nill...

It's changed hands so many times since 1984/85 apparently, I'd be surprised if anyone remembers everything verbatim, and in 100% correct detail...
By Ectofiend666
Hrm...I just noticed something...I was always under the impression that the "Beater/Promotional" car was in fact this one in the "Star Cars" Museum in Gatlinburg Tennessee:

Which I thought was the same one seen here, that was on display in VA here recently:

Buuuuuuut the details (Logos, certain greeblies on the roof rack) don't match up 100%, soooooo now I'm confused...
By Boomerjinks
Ectofiend666 wrote:
Buuuuuuut the details (Logos, certain greeblies on the roof rack) don't match up 100%, soooooo now I'm confused...
Check the interiors.

Also, never believe what you read at a tourist trap.
By 69428scj
The last two cars you posted were the Peter Mosen car and the primered car...I will call Bob Lintz to see if he still has the paperwork, which was not COAs if I remember correctly, but actual bills of sale.
By Ectofiend666
69428scj wrote:The last two cars you posted were the Peter Mosen car and the primered car...
Odd...I never made that connection with the car in TN and Peter Mosen, probably because of this (Boomer, you were right in that I shouldn't believe Tourist Trap rhetoric):

Always thought that Pete still had that car in his possession...

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker scen[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]