Hey guys. There was another thread about this, but I did not start it. The original poster has not been back for some time, so I am going to start a new one. Tonight I worked on my arduino pack light solution for a few hours. I fixed the waveshield (chip needed resoldered) and it works great now. I have gotten the cyclotron and powercell going. The speed of each is adjustable via a potentiometer(each one has its own). The pack startup sound is there as well as the hum, but unfortunately you cannot hear it in the video that I have shot. Next time I will make it a point to capture that. So without further ado here is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_1vh6TFLg

For those of you that were not following the other topic, an arduino is a small and cheap embedded computer. This entire thing has cost me next to nothing so far. The final product should come in at around $100-$120. All of this will be freely available on the internet once it is complete. I will make the board layouts so that you can etch the board yourself, but a simple point to point should also do the job.

Things are heating up here now, so stay tuned

-Frank

edit updated videos
~5 minute demo that shows the project status so far. This one has really low volume for the pack sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbZx_yoDIA

45 second demo with louder sounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qfx7aWO9c

Demo that shows the graph working, correct powercell functionality, and daughterboard working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXSFKJXzq1o

rc1 code running on arduino mounted in pack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezjZ0RTvGA

in depth video of the inner working with a new feature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJi4cwb6tbo

here is another new video. all of them inside of the pack and wand this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6T25GRX ... annel_page
Last edited by Syco54645 on September 16th, 2010, 12:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.
By Syco54645
Well I got some more done today. I now have a switch that when thrown will cause the thing to "power up". Before the switch is hit it will just sit there. Once thrown it will play the startup sound and the lights will start going. When you turn the switch to off it will then "power off" playing the shutdown setting the lights back to off and playing the shutdown sound.

Now for the not fun part, bugs. I noticed today that there is a bug. I am not sure if this is because it is on breadboard and the wires are not making good enough contact or what (I have reason to believe this is the issue, more on that later). When the thing is going sometimes the cyclotron light will hiccup and flash before changing. This happens in before it needs to change, meaning it will go 1-2-3-4-1-2.2-3-4 where 2.2 is inside of the cycle. If the cycle is 1 second, the light will flash after .5 second and then proceed as normal.
Now why do I think that this could be because of the breadboard? Well today when working on it I would occasionally have all of the lights come on for a few seconds then go back to normal. That was happening because the wires going to the arduino were not seated tight enough. I replaced those jumper wires and have not had the problem since. Now why do I not change the wires going to the cyclotron light? Well it is a rats nest. If I bump one wire out then I have to spend time figuring out where that wire went. This thing is going to be modular comprised of a number of boards. Once I get the leds for the powercell in I will put them onto a board thus reducing the rats nest a little.

Right now this is how I see this going.

The entire thing will have a board. This board will house the ICs and the connectors. The powercell will have its own board. The resistors for the leds will reside on the board so that you can easily change leds (just replace the entire board) to other types that may need a different resistor. The cyclotron lights will not have their own board. Being that you need to move these around the resistor will just be soldered in the wire, again allowing you to change leds.
The wand will have its own circuit that will probably be connected to the main board via a cat5 cable, actually two. The graph on the wand will be set up the same as the powercell lights on its own board with resistors. The wand lights will be set up the same as the powercell lights. The switches will go on the board for the wand. I found a way to drive multiple switches on one arduino pin, so that is what I will be doing there.

Now since this will be made freely available you can do this however you want, but that is how the pcb file that I provide will be set up.

Stay tuned.

-Frank
Just to keep everyone in the loop. I rewrote all of the code today in an attempt to remove the bugs. That did not happen. I then made a post on a forum regarding the errors that I was having only happening when sound was playing. As it turns out there is a problem with the arduino ide for linux (and mac for that matter) in pertaining to the waveshield. Every problem that I was having (cyclotron lights acting up, thing freezing mid cycle, and now a problem with the trigger button) were all caused by the ide. I guess I will have to move to working on this with windows. I just uploaded the code from here (on my linux netbook atm) and it suffered from all of the errors that I was having. Previously I had let this thing run for 30 minutes after the code was uploaded from windows and it worked fine. So I guess I am further along than I had thought.

So anyways, like I said, I have rewritten the bulk of the code. It is now faster, the powercell no longer pauses for a moment when getting to the 6th led (that was only happening at certain speeds) and easier to read/work with/code/maintain/etc. Today the bulk of my time was spent making a switch block. I am pleased with how it turned out. I did it point to point. I ran out of screw terminals, so I am missing one switch (the one at the end of the barrel) but I can easily add that later. This was done point to point of course and actually turned out well enough that I will just use it when the time comes.

Now for the bad news. I said that I would provide files so that you could get the board printed/etch it on your own. Well eagle has once again pissed me off so I may not be doing that. I can provide a schematic. If someone would like to kindly take that and make it into something more, then they can once the time comes. Maybe I will give it another shot when I am less pissed at it.

Tomorrow I intend to get all of these switches working. I have some pretty cool ideas for how they will work. if my damn leds would ever come in I could get something more permanent set up and reduce this rat's nest that I am afraid to touch. Hopefully a video will follow tomorrow.

-Frank
i can offer some help on this. how many leds do you need for the pke? there is an ic that will run 8 extra and you can daisy chain them. as far as servo, check adafruit for their server shield.
Well not much coding has been getting done lately. I have been laying down the circuit point to point style. My powercell LEDs came in so I got them on a board with the resistors. Next step is to solder the ribbon onto there that will go to the main board. I have started the main board now too. I have soldered 4 ICs on there (two go on the gun daughter board). The ICs are all connected as far as power and ground go, now I just need to solder the wires to the sockets for the leds. This is very tedious. I may work on it some tomorrow. I am not looking forward to soldering over 100 points, but it will be worth it once it is done. There will still be a rats nest, but it will work. Honestly it isnt that bad. It is an extremely simple circuit to have to solder so point to point is definitely possible, and I am proving that right now. It would be easier to have a printed pcb, but that isnt necessary.

Once all of this is soldered the next order of business is to code the powercell correctly. I had it going up, down instead of just up, up. This was mainly just to see how the graph on the wand would function. Overall I am pleased with this. I will not be around this weekend so I would like to get it the main board soldering done tomorrow. Pictures to come eventually.

-Frank
I keep thinking with all the low cost electronic devices available there has to be a cheap solution to rotating cyclotron lights, and the power supply lights.

You can see cheapo toy guns for $5 with lights and sounds.. something should be able to be cobbled together for under $40 I'd think.
Well the arduino board itself is like $36 for the normal one. Then a 9v battery, 4 red LEDs with resistors ($10), and thats it. So that's close to $40.

Then if you want to do the power cell you just need another bunch of LEDs and resistors and a few shift registers ($1 each) and thats it.

The shields are nice but you can save a lot of money by cobbling together a few small (cheaper) parts.

I wish I had thought about the arduino when I did my pack. Would have made so many things easier, more modular, and more programmable (and probably the same price).
I'd love to have a powerup switch on our guns that activated lighting and sounds, and a a trigger for sound and lights on our guns, but the tech work, and price point are just way out of my interest to reach.
I am trying to do this for as cheap as possible. give me some time and i will have something to show. something about soldering over 100 points for the next step isnt appealing... soldering didnt go so well. i think i am going to remove the ics and see what i can do as far as some other method. this just isnt working and this cheap ass breadboard from radioshack isnt helping...
I hope you are using sockets for the ICs. It's safer and much easier to work with.

I also did my entire project with wire wrap. It is much easier to undo and redo yet is pretty permenant (especially if you dab solder on all wraps at the end).
Why use sockets? I dont see a reason to really, And what makes wirewrap sockets so easy to work with? I have no experience with that sort of thing. Maybe I will order them. I was just going to use a breakout board for the ics.
Well since ICs are sensitive to heat and static, it's much easier to solder to a socket and then snap the IC into the socket.

I have a wire wrap gun so if you don't have one of those, it a lot of turning a tool. However with wirewrap you just use the tool to attach the wire (you need wire wrap wire) to a socket (wire wrap socket) or LED lead.

I just found it faster to do and undo connections. And to make it more sturdy I dab solder on when I have buzzed everything out and smoke tested it.

I just now saw that you are using a breadboard. I didn't prototype(just went from diagram to wire wrap) but I think the same still goes. I found it easier to wire wrap. Well that and I just typed this All out on my iPhone so it would hurt to now erase all that.
Well i worked on it some tonight. I really like this breadboard that I am using this time. It is going well though, hopefully I will have the powercell stuff done tomorrow, I still have a ton of points to solder...
Well for those of you following this, here is an update. the powercell part of the circuit is soldered on and working fine. My next challenge is the cyclotron lights. Unfortunately I am waiting on some parts to come in the mail to finish up the main board and get it to what I consider complete. Using this new breadboard I am having a very easy time and making great progress. I have the main board all laid out now, I just need to add the wire and solder the points. I hope to have the cyclotron lights done tonight then I can start working on the thrower. It is all going smoothly now and I am only limited by time and shipping time. I have still yet to get the leds for the graph on the wand. Starting to get a little pissed about that.

All for now. There may be a video tonight.

-Frank
Hey Frank,

Sounds like the project is coming along! Is there any chance you could post a schematic of your wiring so far?? I'd
really love to make a cute little arduino set-up of my very own!

Thanks Dude!
buntdeer wrote:Hey Frank,

Sounds like the project is coming along! Is there any chance you could post a schematic of your wiring so far?? I'd
really love to make a cute little arduino set-up of my very own!

Thanks Dude!
I will post the schematic once it is completely done. I do not want to release something before it is complete and run risk of it not working.
However I did make a new video and am uploading it to youtube right now. Just a few more little things are done, nothing majour. Ill post a link once it is done.

edit: here is the new video. you can hear the sounds a little better this time. I will go shoot a short video with better sound right now. It will just augment this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbZx_yoDIA
here is a shorter video just showing the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qfx7aWO9c
Last edited by Syco54645 on March 10th, 2009, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's pretty amazing!

How much of a electronics geek do you have to be to be able to build this?

I'd LOVE to update our packs with these!

BTW, how loud is the sound volume? can it be turned up, or is the volume loud enough to really sound like the equipment is working?'
Gareee wrote:That's pretty amazing!

How much of a electronics geek do you have to be to be able to build this?

I'd LOVE to update our packs with these!

BTW, how loud is the sound volume? can it be turned up, or is the volume loud enough to really sound like the equipment is working?'
Not much at all. All you need to know is how to solder and how to follow a basic schematic. All that is on this is a few ics (all are the same) resistors, and potentiometers. All of it is very easy to work with. Hardest part is soldering the points, there are alot of them... I posted a video with louder sound here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qfx7aWO9c
Yes you can turn it up. I had it turned down as it was quite loud in person. I guess my hacked cvs cam doesnt pick up the sounds well enough.
Frank,

Amazing!! Pretty much the coolest thing since sliced bread!

What are you running the sound files out of? Does the Arduino hold the sounds, and control the Led's as well?!?

Then I just assume the speakers are hook up to the Arduino??

Sorry I'm getting carried away with questions.. Can't wait to see it done!
buntdeer wrote:Frank,

Amazing!! Pretty much the coolest thing since sliced bread!

What are you running the sound files out of? Does the Arduino hold the sounds, and control the Led's as well?!?

Then I just assume the speakers are hook up to the Arduino??

Sorry I'm getting carried away with questions.. Can't wait to see it done!
Dont worry about the questions, the more people ask the more I know that they are interested and the more compelled I am to release something at the end more than just a few notes and sourcecode.
Anyways, if you are dead set on doing this order a waveshield from adafruit.com As for getting the arduino i suggest going to hacktronics, they have been really cool and helpful through this entire thing. Anyways, the sound is played via the waveshield and stored on an sd card. It will play waves in 16bit which is more than enough for this. The speakers then hook up to the waveshield. Simple as that.

And yes the arduino controls the leds and the sound, but the waveshield is needed for the sound. To get everything running at one time I had to do some book keeping in order to share processor time. It wasnt hard, but still needed to be done otherwise you would have the cyclotron cycle then the powercell then the sound, etc. Nothing would be running concurrently. Once the last of my stuff comes in then I will have it completed. I noticed that I may have ran out of room on the main board for the rj45 connectors. If so then I will need to figure something out there. Hopefully I didnt and it is all going to fit; I wont know till my latest order comes in.

Feel free to ask anything else

-Frank
Frank,

I don't know about anyone else... But with a little help (or a lot of help) from yourself, I'm more than definitely putting your little Arduino set up in my Proton-Pack! It's sooo Awesome!

Thanks for the explanation! And it seems pretty straight forward..

Please count me in when you button everything up!! I'll be the first one in line for any notes, schematics, or programing code you want to throw out!

If you could possibly, maybe, perhaps, throw a little parts list out.. I would love to get the stuff on order so I can be ready to get crack'n!

Keep on keep'n on!
Nice work so far.

Technical question though. It seems a bit complicated of a setup. Dont you just need the arduino + sound shield, then to drive the additional LEDs for the powercell you need a (maybe 2) shift register(s)? There seems to be a lot of extra parts and wires. did you do something more complex to get extra features?
graboskyc wrote:Nice work so far.

Technical question though. It seems a bit complicated of a setup. Dont you just need the arduino + sound shield, then to drive the additional LEDs for the powercell you need a (maybe 2) shift register(s)? There seems to be a lot of extra parts and wires. did you do something more complex to get extra features?
well each shift register can run 8 leds, so i had to use 5 of them. you have to figure 15 leds for the powercell and 15 for the graph on the gun, so go from there. that is 4 already being needed. then you toss in the 4 leds for the powercell and the 7 just for the gun (2 inside of the vents to flash when firing) as well as the 3 for the barrel tip (chasing around a circle with 6 leds but the ones across from eachother are the same led for all intents and purposes) and you have quite a few leds that are required.

The code on the other hand is something a little complicated. Not too bad though. I wanted to get a shift in to allow me to connect 8 switches thus allowing for a dip to change settings but it wasnt needed really. If you want to change firing modes I have something neat set up that will allow you to do this, I hope...
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]