This is just a general question to anyone who has an answer. Wouldn't a Pepakura pack be less expensive to build than a fiberglass shell build? Or, once the cost of all the little odds and ends like the resistors, tubes, hoses, the ribbon cable, and of course the resin and fiberglass make it about the same as starting with a fiberglass shell in the first place?
As far as I understood, in the end this also would be some sort of fibreglass shell (or the pieces you would have to glue together). The mold however would be paper cast in resin, stiffened with resin soaked fibreglass-sheets. In the end you would sand away the paper. The tubes and stuff you would still need. If I'd find a cheap source for resin I'd go for it at once....
By 80sguy
rpburke1978 wrote:This is just a general question to anyone who has an answer. Wouldn't a Pepakura pack be less expensive to build than a fiberglass shell build? Or, once the cost of all the little odds and ends like the resistors, tubes, hoses, the ribbon cable, and of course the resin and fiberglass make it about the same as starting with a fiberglass shell in the first place?
It would be more time consuming to construct the parts in order to cast it. Hell, someone asked me permssion if they could cast mine to use it as a pack (not sure how far he went though). I think if you're printing it just for the sole purpose of casting, it'll save your more time and effort to buy a shell.
I have learned over the past few years.... to NEVER EVER DARE underestimate papercraft.... you can literally build ANYTHING out of the right folds and some paper

edit : and having the right mindset
FeinDTacticS wrote:I have learned over the past few years.... to NEVER EVER DARE underestimate papercraft.... you can literally build ANYTHING out of the right folds and some paper

edit : and having the right mindset
No one here is underestimating it....at least anymore.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]