Awesome! I really need to get some LC-1 straps.........
Filandrius wrote:I added the masking-tape-with-a-name thingy that Matt and Mark added to their pack. It's a nice little detail, and "Mike" really fits on this. :D Hmmm... Matt, Mark, Mike... Maybe we should start a franchise. :P
Count me in!
OK so I'm back from my Christmas vacation (sorry, no bonus this year ;)) with a big update (at least for me :P) I finally upgraded my camera. Tossed the old clunker, bought myself a brand new one which leave the other one in the dust. And what's the first thing I took pictures of? No, not my pack, that came later. ;) So here's some pics! I can't quite fathom how much I endured with my old POC. This thing takes great pictures, even at night, without the flash! :shock: Looks like I finally landed in the 2010s. :D

Some close-ups!

And just for the heck of it, some pics with the light kit on!

Now if I could just figure out how to post videos... :roll:
Thanks for the kind words, Nick, it's really appreciated. Coming from an artist like you, it really means something. :D

As for the cable, well, I twisted it months ago, before I had access to any real reference pictures. When I assembled my pack, I just slapped it on without really thinking about it. But I followed your advice and de-twisted it a little; here's the result!

Stand-in or not, it really looks better this way. And I always appreciate a good excuse to take pics with my new camera. ;)
Filandrius wrote:Stand-in or not, it really looks better this way. And I always appreciate a good excuse to take pics with my new camera. ;)
You're welcome! :-D

Beautiful pack Mike! Couldn't imagine anyone better to share the experience with!
nick-a-tron wrote:PERFECT!!
Hehehe... Thanks. And thanks for the suggestion. ;)
KagaSakai wrote:You're welcome! :-D

Beautiful pack Mike! Couldn't imagine anyone better to share the experience with!
Yeah, I kinda forgot to mention that you were the one that suggested the camera. That thing is a dream, man. Can't thank you enough. :D

And I also forgot to mention the tape on the split loom. I still have to add the foam on the motherboard, though! ;)
mburkit wrote:Put a black crank knob on it for now and just call it a retro-fitted GB1 pack from GB2 :D
If I had a black knob, that's what I would do. I should've kept the one I sold. ;)
Pdred1985 wrote:Did you get your GB1 ribbon cable yet?
I think that the fact that my pack has a Spectra strip answers that question pretty well. :P

Oh and happy new year everybody! :D
Filandrius wrote:And what's the first thing I took pictures of? No, not my pack, that came later. ;)
I'd ask what exactly you took pictures of before the pack, but I'd wager it's something that shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. :lol:

Looking great! When the clock struck 12:00 AM, did you switch the pack on and have a little celebration?
Pdred1985 wrote:Let me rephrase that. Are you expecting your GB1 Cable anytime soon?
I expect it soon, yes. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get it. It's the only part I'm missing to complete my GB1 pack!
MandoMan wrote:
Filandrius wrote:And what's the first thing I took pictures of? No, not my pack, that came later. ;)
I'd ask what exactly you took pictures of before the pack, but I'd wager it's something that shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. :lol:

Looking great! When the clock struck 12:00 AM, did you switch the pack on and have a little celebration?
It was actually, but not for the reasons you're thinking about. ;)

And no, I wasn't home at the time. :P
question about the Krylon Fusion.. I know that spraying the BBQ over normal Fusion spraypaints would just eat the Fusion away into a burned up sloppy mess. Is there something different about the nickel shimmer my noobness doesnt know yet that makes this work in the way it seems to have worked for you?
Phish4dinner wrote:I know that spraying the BBQ over normal Fusion spraypaints would just eat the Fusion away into a burned up sloppy mess.
What? That's the first time I heard that before. Fusion is 100% compatible with any other Krylon paint, you just have to let it fully cure before painting over it. I know that some people seems inclined to spray another color 1 hour or less after the first, but if you wait long enough (7 days for Fusion, 24 hours for any other Krylon) you won't have any problem at all. Dry doesn't mean cured, people.
i only ask because a few years ago i was painting some plastic lawn furinture with BBQ black. My mother painted it with the normal Krylon Fusion for plastic, white, about 6-8 months prior. While spraying it straight on, I remember the BBQ started bubbling up and eating away the Fusion before i even got 1/4th of the chair painted.. I'll take you word for it though since i have never used the nickle shimmer before. I'll have my alkaline shell very soon although i might have to wait for the weather to warm up before i can really start working on it. :cool:
Wow! Never experienced anything like this before with Fusion! And I painted a lot of stuff with it... In my experience, if you let the undercoat cure thoroughly, and if you use a compatible paint (friendly hint: don't switch brands ;)) then you shouldn't have any problem. But what you experienced fascinates me!

How about this: I painted my own Alkaline shell with nickel shimmer, then I waited a full 7 days before starting on the Krylon BBQ. And I never had any problems, no bubbling, orange skin, cracking, etc... I used the exact same method on my resin parts, and everything went just as smooth (and the chipping effect works even better on resin parts) I'm sure that if you use nickel shimmer on your shell, it'll work great. :D

Or, you could go the 100% screen-accurate route, and use the nickel only on the resin parts that's supposed to be metal. The fiberglass shells themselves were primed in gray. Just prime the shell with grey Krylon indoor/outdoor primer, then paint the thing in Krylon BBQ black. That's what I would do if I had a brand new shell to paint. ;)
it's fascinating me now as to why that happened.. I'm going to seriously consider using just the primer for the shell now. Good idea. Thanks bro!! Man, i'm dying to get my shell. But at least it gave me time to save up some dough and attempt to hunt down some alluminum parts. :-D
I used the same paint method with the BBQ Black and Nickel Shimmer and it worked fine. I didn't ever wait 7 days for it to completely cure aside from the HGA and Ion Arm. I know it worked though because the finish looks fine, and I happened to scratch a few places while handling it and the silver showed through just fine. Of course its been well over 7 days now.
Yep, nickel shimmer works fine indeed. I scratched my bumper a few times while handling the pack, and the BBQ chipped right to the silver, just like it's supposed to. But like I said before, it's really a question of preference. Do you want to replicate the real prop (grey primer) or the prop as it's supposed to be, i.e. metal under black paint (nickel shimmer) Both methods are sound. And I'm starting to think that the X factor was the plastic in that chair. :P
Filandrius wrote:
Mike Witt wrote:just wondering who you got your shock mount from?
You need to speak to Jason (jpa35) for that. His courteous and efficient staff is on call 24 hours a day to serve all your aluminum needs. :D
Jason is like lightning. PM'd him last night for a shock mount, paid this morning, going to ship later today. As I get my pack going I'm definitely going to keep him in mind for any additional or upgrade pack/gun parts.
Thanks guys. :D

OK! It's been a while since I worked on that thing, but I'm back in the game. I have a few things in mind, mainly because I don't consider it complete yet. A pack is never finished, only abandoned. Yeah, I just quoted Lucas. Deal with it. :P

So let's start with something small: a minor inaccuracy that's been bugging me ever since the So-Cal pics came out: the HGA label. Back when it was considered accurate, I installed mine with a flat head allen screw.

Here it is, 6-32 screw holding the label in place.

Started by removing the label, and getting rid of that horrible inaccurate screw. :P

Then I simply filled the hole with some epoxy putty. Hard as rock once it cures, and easily sandable. Perfect. :D

Then I sanded the heck out of it until it was flat and smooth. I also remember to mark a little hole in the center, just like on the screen-used one.

Here's the final result primed...

And painted. :D

And here is it with the label back on, simply glued on this time. It's ready to be put back on the HGA!

That's it for that minor update. Stay tuned for more! :)

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]