By mburkit
My only suggestion would be to remove the gold/brass paint from the top and bottom ribs.

As you can see in this photo from Agent_J, the top and bottom seem to be more like "caps" and hence aren't the same material as the center ribs.

Other then that, it looks good.
MandoMan wrote:I want to make sweet love to it.

But I'd settle for a chance to wear it. That thing is beautiful.
I'll hook you guys up. But don't forget the flowers, she isn't an easy gal. :P
kind2311 wrote:wow you did that fast and it looks fantastic!
Hehehe... Thanks. :) But I cheated on the fast part... I read your post, looked into my stuff, saw that I had everything right here, and said to myself: "why the hell not?" :P
bigi71 wrote:Great job, i love this pack :)
Thanks a lot, man. Coming from you, it means a LOT. :D
nick-a-tron wrote:Must admit after seeing those last photos I too painted some gold on my ion knob, thanks for the tip Vinny and Mike!

Mike that dusting looks great! Really dying to see everything togther now :D
Glad to be an inspiration. Looks like everybody was ready to do it, but lacked a motivation. Thanks again Vinny! ;)

And thanks for the kind words. I am dying too, believe me. :P
mburkit wrote:My only suggestion would be to remove the gold/brass paint from the top and bottom ribs.
Well, here you go!

Followed Matt's suggestion to the letter. I must admit it DOES looks better.

Back on my pack, hopefully for good. Thanks for the tips everybody! :)
Yep, Bigi's right. Checked out a lot of reference pictures, and all the ribs are brass. :cry:

My shock mount is in the process of being repainted. But that's the last time! I'll post pics soon.

You guys are going to make me crazy. ;)
Hahaha, you shouldn't feel bad. You should feel REALLY bad. :lol:

Seriously, if I would get my hands on the bellow in the pic you posted, it would go straight on my pack. And repainting my own mount wasn't that bad, I just didn't have time to finish it (the gold paint from my marker tends to dry slowly) I'll let you guys know as soon as it gets back on my pack.
By kind2311
Filandrius wrote:if I would get my hands on the bellow in the pic you posted, it would go straight on my pack.
that is the rarest part of the proton pack second only to a real GB1 ribbon cable. just to dash your hopes ;)
Finally getting around to checking out your work.. Gotta say amazing job!! Love what you did with the ion knob, I may have to "borrow" this idea ha I promise I'll return it ;0)
it was actually my idea and as far as i know, until now mburkit and myself are the only ones who have done it. i certainly hope this started a trend because i feel its something that should be done to all machined aluminum shockmounts.
yes the core should be brass colored too.

the made-for-GB2 packs had resin copies of the bellow and i believe they were painted a metallic silver. over the years the paint has come off and the resin has also chipped to reveal black underneath.
kind2311 wrote:
Filandrius wrote:if I would get my hands on the bellow in the pic you posted, it would go straight on my pack.
that is the rarest part of the proton pack second only to a real GB1 ribbon cable. just to dash your hopes ;)
Geez, thanks, Vin. :D
Libtechinit wrote:Finally getting around to checking out your work.. Gotta say amazing job!! Love what you did with the ion knob, I may have to "borrow" this idea ha I promise I'll return it ;0)
Borrow all you want, friend. Your build thread was such an inspiration for my own, I consider you an official sponsor. :P
kind2311 wrote:it was actually my idea and as far as i know, until now mburkit and myself are the only ones who have done it. i certainly hope this started a trend because i feel its something that should be done to all machined aluminum shockmounts.
Yeah I agree. This makes the aluminum shock mount much more interesting visually. Speaking of which...

Third time's the charm. I really took my time this time, and went a lot more subtle with the weathering. Really looks like tarnished brass, methinks.

Annnd here it is back on my pack. It seems that all I do these days is remove the shock mount and repaint it. :P Anyway, this time I welded it on, so don't try to convince me to take it off again. Unless it's for installing a real bellow. :D
By julz
Simply amazing work...

I'm defiantly going to be borrowing more than a few ideas from your pack build :)

I have one question about the shockmount...

I noticed that all the Gb2 packs have a rounded bolt at the tip of the mount...I noticed you haven't put that on yours and I was wondering is that because the Gb1 packs didn't have the bolt, and it was just a refit thing for Gb2?
I never realized that... So is there any way, if I were to get this shock mount, that I could add a bolt to it? That seems like an awfully tiny hole... ("That's what she said?" Anyone???) :P
well if you already have a GB1 style shockmount and want GB2, its as easy as drilling a slightly wider hole and tapping it. everyone currently gets their shockmount from jpa35 in the for sale section(where filandrius got this one). he makes both GB1 and GB2 versions so theres no need to add the top screw yourself.
Thanks for the kind words, guys. The bellow really looks better that way, and I agree with Vin, I hope we started a trend. :)

Nice bellow, legend. Looks good. :D

Julz, borrow away. I share exactly for this reason. :)

As for the bellow, Matt and Vinny answered that pretty well. No bolt on GB1, bolt on GB2! Didn't know that Jason made both versions, though. Doesn't surprise me one bit. ;)
Well awesome, I've been talking to Jason about his Ion Arm, and his "Bellow," or "Shock Mount" or "Ion Knob," or wtf every it's called. :P So now I know to ask for the one I want! Thanks.
By julz
Cheers guys :)

It always amazes me how quickly one gets quick helpful replies on this site.

One yes your build is truly amazing...I'll start mine up shortly when I have enough pictures to post. But I just received my aluminum gun from Richard....Umori, and f@$k me is it a thing of beauty...there are some talented sods on this site I can tell you!
By julz
Oooo I have another question.. :p

do you know what the rough angle the gun should be on the pack for gb1... I think I read somewhere in one of your builds that you changed the angle of yours from gb2 to gb1. I have decided to do the same on mine and I was wondering if ol stefans plans were roughly the right angle to go by... I brought my v hook from Franchesky which is an amazing piece of work...but it doesn't seem to use quite the same angles as stepans plans, so when you line it up in a similar way as in the plans it seems to straight up and down...

what say you?
My V-hook was bought directly from Jason, and had the right angle for GB1 without any modification. Franchesky's V-hook should be the same. If I'm not mistaken, Stefan's plans show the angle for a GB2 pack. So you should use your V-hook as is!
Small update: I was sick of seeing my pack completely dismantled, so I assembled the darn thing to test everything out. I never did a test run of my light kit with everything in place; that was reason enough to "finish" the thing and fire everything up! So I reinstalled my Spectra strip, close the pack and took a few pictures. But first...

I added the masking-tape-with-a-name thingy that Matt and Mark added to their pack. It's a nice little detail, and "Mike" really fits on this. :D Hmmm... Matt, Mark, Mike... Maybe we should start a franchise. :P

So here are some pictures of my completed pack, in natural light, with full lights blazing. Can't stop playing with them! Of course now that the lights are 100% functional, I can't help but wonder how my pack would SOUND like... :roll:

There's a couple of things I want to add before declaring that thing "complete" (asides from the GB1 cable and the sound kit) I want to add tape to the split loom (because it keeps splitting, you know :P) and the padding on top of the motherboard, But I don't have a clue what to use. Any ideas?

Oh and merry Christmas everybody! :D

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]