That's y I have ur gun kit coming ;)
Building this pack has not only built my confidence tremendously but has made me want to already start a new one to better what I've flubbed up on this one. I already have new metal parts and stuff coming in to stock up for my next build. Julz and kind do u have more pics on how u did the crank gen fins? I'm scared s***less on altering the shell as i don't have expierence in this. Any hints, advice would be awesome!
Looks good! If you want to bump up the accuracy on your ion arm resistors, replace the Phillips screws with 4-40 socket head cap screws. ACE hardware usually carries them.
Hey man don't be so hard on yourself :)

I have made a ton of mistakes and rebuilt stuff all over the place and learnt the hardway as well.

With the fins I cut out a left over piece of my 3mm mobo ( as i cut one out myself) and then put that in between the fins to act as a quide. Then I got a piece of strong sanding paper and a block of wood and then sanded the fins down. Any mistake you make can always be fixed by some good old epoxy putty ;)

What helped me alot was looking at the bigi shell as well as the reference pics on the top of the proton pack thread section.

Trust me I was scared with altering the shell, but the best way is to make a plan and just jump in. Then once you have started you kinda have to finish :)

I also think you could fix your mob if your not happy with the cut outs you made. Just get some good old epoxy putty again and fill in the gaps and resand it.

Looking great though, I better get back to my build :p
Letmebleed75 wrote:Opinions needed!

Should I clear coat over my black hammered finish? Or should I leave it alone? Positives? Negatives?
The film packs didn't have clear coat on them, so the only real negative would be accuracy.
Letmebleed75 wrote:Opinions needed!

Should I clear coat over my black hammered finish? Or should I leave it alone? Positives? Negatives?
Definitely not you could mess up your hammered finished as well if you don't coat it right. All it would take is some slight overspray of the clear coat and you you'd lose your hammered texture. Hammered paint especially rustoelum is one of the toughest paints I've come across, clear coating it would be useless and harmful to your finish.

Certain flat/matte clear coats are great for weathering stickers and various other parts of the pack just not the shell itself if you know what your doing.
Update time.

I started today with epoxing the pvc tube and dowel in where the loom will go.

Then started working on my alice frame attachment. I bought some rubber door stops at lowes.

Then drilled and test fitted till it squeezed down to work as a 1/4 inch spacer

I couldnt find any fricken solid one piece spacers for the bottom bolts so i bought 3/8 spaces and stacked them till they reached 1/2 inch.

Here it is attached

Then took my painted ion arm and weathered it

After I got the other wooden dowl for the loom put on the crank gen i gave the whole pack a good wash down with hot soapy water.

Almost ready for paint. So i figured while my shell is drying i would finish working on all my parts. First I stickered my HGA then drilled out and fitted my flat hex screw in the middle.

Then stickered my n-filter

then the bumper

I replaced my phillips screws with accurate 4-40 hex screws on the ion arm

Then it was time to start painting the shell....hope it turns out ok

Alas i am almost done with the ion arm. just waiting for an accurate square brass fitting from aj then ill replace it.

To round out the night i took my painted mobo and alice frame, added the straps and reattached. I think it turned out good. I used rustoleum chalk board black for the frame and spacers.

I also matched the mobo to the rest of the pack using rustoleum hammered black. I'm gonna get a couple hours sleep then hit it again in the morning. Gonna start my thrower soon!
Pack to gun is up to you. Some people like 6' because it looks cool with the longer hose I think 5' is more accurate. On the crank box loom you want it to curve up and around to the tube while making it about as tall off the pack as your ion arm is. If you use a hose inside the loom it keeps its shape. Look though the reference section there is a couple photos from the side showing what I'm talking about.
Well after a long year in a half I have finally finished my shell. Im awaiting on my cyclotron lenses from Crix to come in and it will be done. This build has taken a lot out of me and has taught me a lot. In my first post I stated this wasnt a gb1 or gb2 build but it turned out to be more gb1 then anything. I'm not gonna toot my horn and say mine is the best cause there are still a lot of flaws and a lot of things I could of done better. The best thing about this build is the exp and knowledge gained from this. As I was building this shell I just kept thinking on ways to improve on future builds, and yes I will definetly be building more packs and hope to improve on the mistakes made on this pack. So far I have been sleeping 4 hours a day to get this done by comic con and my thrower is currently curing in the garage so I can build it tommorow before comic con. Pics to follow. Without further ado here is my pac.

My lovely wife was so excited she had to try it on! Made my day seeing my wife in a pack.

All opinions welcomed. Once again my blanket statement is I know my pack isnt 100% accurate. I've never painted anything before and never even built anything before. So if anyone has any hints, tips, advice, or criticism please give it as I want to better myself for future builds. I didnt shave down the fins as some members suggested purely for time constraints for the con but i plan on doing it when I return!
sorry for the poor lighting pics with my stupid camera phone
Here's a look at my finished pack with thrower
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]