By Rooney the Waster
This time posted in the right forum!

When I joined my local GB franchise (the EssexGB), I knew I wouldn't have the time/funds to build myself a full proton pack for the foreseeable future. But having read the opening instalment of the Infestation comic, I saw the Proton Pistol and thought to myself "I could build that!". Ahh, the hubris. The plan was to assemble it from parts that could be easily sourced, so that anyone in our little group could make one with relative ease if they wanted to. I strayed a little from that concept, but more on that later!

Anyway, some time later (after getting side-tracked into building props for other people and various other costuming projects) I started to assemble parts and do some work on this project - with some plans drawn up by the inestimable GB:A Rich. Here's a few shots of the pistol prototype thus far

Somewhat less than inspiring, I'm sure you'll agree.

However, whilst tidying my cluttered office at work (I'm a bit of a hoarder, which means my office is full of broken IT equipment "Just in case") I had a sudden flash of inspiration as I moved a spindle of CD's. I noticed that the lid looked a lot like a cyclotron... ans thus a half hour search began to find parts for the mini pack to power the pistol. Now, to my knowledge there's no canon reference pics for what powers the pistol (please tell me if I'm wrong!), but there's very definitely a cable coming from the pistol leading back to something - but it's not a full pack because Winston's not wearing one when he uses the pistol. So I set to work on creating a mini pack of my own design, based on a regular screen accurate pack.

And here's what I have so far:

The mini cyclotron

The cyclotron attached to the weird server coolant fan thing I found amidst the wreckage of my office

The parts thus far held together by me for the shot because the ribbed tubing makes the whole thing spring-loaded at the moment.

A side shot of the CPU cooling vent thing

Obviously it's far from finished, and I need to add various little parts to the pack (including - eventually - a lighting kit), but I though I'd share, and hopefully get a little feedback! I have a sheet of MDF to make a mini back board for the whole thing too, so what do you chaps think?
By Kingpin
Rooney the Waster wrote:Now, to my knowledge there's no canon reference pics for what powers the pistol (please tell me if I'm wrong)
For Infestation, there's no clear indicator of power source, however in Ghostbusters Monthly #6, it appears that the Proton Pistol is linked up to the Cyclotron of Winston's Proton Pack, with the hose entering near the hose that leads to his Proton Gun.
By Harry Bardwell
I believe its implied that its the proton pack in Infestation, I think the cord looks like it would lead there, and in the new mothly it is the proton pack. However, Kylie in EGB has a belt mounted pack, and there are the arm mounted ones in Tainted Love so its established that you can have something that small as a power source. Btw, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Looks like it has a lot of potential.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]