By postmortem01
Slave1pilot and I are working on a Proton Pack that will have the measurements and proportions of the original packs but be as intended as far as finish. We understand that that's how they were but since there are some exceptional packs available, we want to make this one our own.
Last edited by postmortem01 on December 18th, 2011, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By postmortem01
I can't wait to start cnc'ing this sucker. There are a few tweaks left to do but we will start this by next weekend. I'm still adjusting some dimensions. The edge softening will be done by hand. We're going to machine this from a rigid tooling foam board made by Renshape. We're being as cautious as possible since the board costs $900 per board. That would be an expensive disaster.
By ProtonCharger
postmortem01 wrote:We're being as cautious as possible since the board costs $900 per board. That would be an expensive disaster.
you dont have 11 tries with this one.
By JoeLuna33
I can't wait to see this bad boy! I knew you guys were gonna knock it out of the park.
By postmortem01
Well, we haven't started any cutting yet so there is plenty of time to fail miserably.

Lol. We're going to be increasing the size from known Gb1/Gb2 casting size to bring it back up to "original" size.

Increase will be approximately 5%+
By postmortem01
We were fortunate enough to be loaned a descendant casting of a screen used pack. The measurements taken were based on that pack while using a set of calipers. Everything jives with this pack. The reason for using a tangible pack is that there is not sufficient photo reference to make a highly accurate model of the proton pack. Using photos leads to just as much errors as measuring a 5 generation down casting.
By Vincenzo330
This is fantastic guys! Poor Patrick, I bet he hasn't seen daylight in weeks ;) One thing though, aside from the 5% increase that you've already accounted for, the center valley of the shell that you're basing your measurements on is about 1/8" too narrow. If you can accommodate for that on the model the correctly sized accurate parts will fit and look more aesthetically pleasing. As of right now the beam-line/filller tube might not fit.
By slave1pilot
I like it so far.
postmortem and I will be going over the whole thing Friday night.
Hopefully we can get something started this weekend.
By postmortem01
I'll post some pictures of the adjusted model tomorrow. Slave1Pilot and I spent a good 6 hours redrawing and reshaping the components to get this where we want it. I think we are pretty much there with the proton pack. It's CNC time!
By postmortem01
We are aware that there are no ribs modeled into the gun box. We've removed them. In fact, none of the ribs will be machined as part of this pack. We will be adding the ribs after.
By postmortem01
I just thought that I'd throw these pictures up. We got our Cyclotron Bumper test back. It came out quite well. I think we will make a cleaner master bumper and send these out for quantity production. Yes it's aluminum.
By adsfuse
That bumper's so beautiful I want to cry. Do you accept first-born children as compensation for one of these beauties?
By slave1pilot
I hope that you guys on't get so hypnotized by the shiny bumper that you miss this part of the post; :wink:
postmortem01 wrote: I think we will make a cleaner master bumper and send these out for quantity production. Yes it's aluminum.
By janderson0719
slave1pilot wrote:I hope that you guys on't get so hypnotized by the shiny bumper that you miss this part of the post; :wink:
postmortem01 wrote: I think we will make a cleaner master bumper and send these out for quantity production. Yes it's aluminum.
You plan on starting an interest thread soon?
By adsfuse
janderson0719 wrote:I'm scared to know the price on something like that.
Me too, because I know I'll pay it, lol.
slave1pilot wrote:I hope that you guys on't get so hypnotized by the shiny bumper that you miss this part of the post; :wink:
Definitely didn't miss that portion, lol.
By postmortem01
Slave1Pilot will start an interest thread as soon as we get a new master made. Venkman71 already offered his up for production. I think we can do a short run but you guys would have to sand them yourselves. Sorry :), I'm lazy.

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances d[…]

You guys are MUCH better at IDing stuff than I am&[…]

Reboot hose attached. And Still working out a fe[…]

Thanks for making this thread - was able to follow[…]