By Coover5
As mentioned in this very informative topic http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=28595 (give it a look if you haven't. if you have, then give it another look) There was only one thrower shown to have a scrolling bar graph. That makes me think it was never hooked up to a pack. Being a fan of the films props I often wondered what happened to the thrower Egon was working on when the guys get their first call. Is it possible the thrower Egon is working on is the close-up thrower used for the "Heat 'em up" sequence?
By NickFame13
I think, for purposes of storytelling, it might have been the thrower that eventually is finished and added to the pack for use by Winston. That's just my take, though. As far as whether or not it was that particular prop Egon was tinkering with, it is highly possible.
By Coover5
Agreed for the story telling part. It seems like they might have thought "You know we have this wand sitting around doing nothing until a 2 second close up, want to use it as a set piece?" Prop wise, if it was part of what would become a full pack then they might have included more than just a wand.
By NickFame13
True, however, think about how much time lapsed in the story between that call and Winston's hire. That pack could have been at any stage of completion, and you wouldn't necessarily want to fine tune the wand while it is hooked to the pack and run the risk of an accidental discharge, even if you are certain the power is not on. Same concept as working on anything else that you would want to disconnect the power from, just in case. You see a similar instance with a slime thrower in GB2, as Ray and Egon get the call about Dana's bathtub.
By CPU64
janderson0719 wrote:I have been wondering what the hell Egon was screwing because there's nothing that would make sense for him to be screwing on the right side of the thrower....
Maybe Egon likes to see switches that aren't really there, like in the elevator scene :3
By janderson0719
Oh Egon...

I've seen some production photos of Egon working on the trap and proton pack. I wish we could of seen more on the development of the equipment in the movie.

I personally wanna eat Chinese food and drink a Coke (or Budweiser) and work on my thrower just like the Egon :smile:
By jackdoud
The thrower Egon's working on has an unpainted front knob:

In GB1 the hero thrower has all painted gun knobs:

At some point, probably during the refurbishment of the packs for GB2 the hero thrower has the top and forward knob replaced with unpainted versions:
Though the GB1 refurbished hero pack that the hero thrower is currently attached to does not appear to be in GB2 except possibly during the "shooting at the museum" scene. The thrower and pack seem to be consistent with eachother from GB1. The pack the hero thrower is attached to is the only one with a "sunken in" booster plug.

I think the thrower was always attached to the pack. I haven't done a complete pack survey of the movies (yet) but Pete and Winston swap between the hero pack and the "booster tube drip" pack on the rooftop scene of GB1, in the Sedgewick scenes Pete uses the booster tube drip. Ray and Egon are fairly consistent in what packs they use as well so the full-hero pack was only used in the rooftop scenes where the closeup happened.
By Phish4dinner
jackdoud wrote: In GB1 the hero thrower has all painted gun knobs:
I am pretty positive that is only the case for that thrower in particular. Examples...

No paint on the knobs on any of these pics
By jackdoud
Phish4dinner wrote:I am pretty positive that is only the case for that thrower in particular. Examples...
No paint on the knobs on any of these pics
Ernie's carrying the hero thrower on the hero pack in this shot, you can see the painted top knob. The shiny bit you see is the washer on the bolt holding the pack to motherboard.
By Phish4dinner
jackdoud wrote: Ernie's carrying the hero thrower on the hero pack in this shot, you can see the painted top knob. The shiny bit you see is the washer on the bolt holding the pack to motherboard.
So it's only Ernies hero with the black knobs?? Honestly I highly doubt i'de see a reflection in that pic. I really wasnt even looking at Ernies in that pic. :-?

All the other gb1 heroes obviously were not painted.
By Demon Vice Commander
jackdoud wrote: Though the GB1 refurbished hero pack that the hero thrower is currently attached to does not appear to be in GB2 except possibly during the "shooting at the museum" scene.
I believe that the Sony lobby Hero Pack and Thrower were used by Louis during the deleted scene when he's hunting Slimer. Some of the weathering on the EDA and Ion Arm Cap, as well as the extra hole on the Power Cell, all seem consistent. I'm sure this has already been discussed, though...

By janderson0719
You guys keep referring to the hero pack like there was only one....

Aren't all the packs, except for the stunt foam packs, all heros?

And wouldn't their throwers be hero since they light up?

What I'm getting at is, what's consitutes a "hero" version?

I see the word hero get used too strictly sometimes.

Not starting anything; just looking for better clarification.
By Phish4dinner
janderson0719 wrote:You guys keep referring to the hero pack like there was only one....

Aren't all the packs, except for the stunt foam packs, all heros?

And wouldn't their throwers be hero since they light up?

What I'm getting at is, what's consitutes a "hero" version?

I see the word hero get used too strictly sometimes.

Not starting anything; just looking for better clarification.
I'm using all of them as an example.

Even stunt packs had lights. They just arent as "flashy" as the heroes. They were basically just an on and off switch and had no sequence to them

Especially in GB1.. Pretty much anything in the main scenes. They had all aluminum fixtures and throwers with all real parts. Everything else were stunt packs.. I could be wrong but common sense tells me the Semi-Heroes with some parts like the Booster Tube did not come around until GB2 as they were casted off a gb1 originals. They were made so the actors didnt have as much weight on the shoulders

I agree ;)

I hope that helps clarify, and nobody thinks you're starting anything. This is a friendly discussion :)
By jackdoud
janderson0719 wrote:What I'm getting at is, what's consitutes a "hero" version?
We're making a distinction between the close-up thrower and the other throwers on the hero packs. AFAICT all 4 GB1 here packs were essentially the same in build and electronics but one had "upgraded" electronics in the thrower which we're calling the "hero" thrower as hero props are the "pretty" ones you get to see a close up of. The other "hero" throwers are built the same they just don't seem to have the same lights setup the few minor cosmetic differences we're discussing.
By Phish4dinner
Demon Vice Commander wrote:Perhaps we should refer to the thrower with the scrolling bar graph as the "Super" Hero Thrower.
I love this idea. +1

at least until the day we can prove whether or not the other heroes did the same thing.. I think it's time we harass Sony to let us turn them all on. If somebody knows the answer PLEASE SHARE!! We are all ears! :cool:
By jackdoud
Phish4dinner wrote:If somebody knows the answer PLEASE SHARE!! We are all ears! :cool:
Cyland claimed all the packs worked the same but never supplied any proof. Until someone can get their hands on both the "hero" hero pack and a regular hero pack to compair we'll probably never know.
By janderson0719
jackdoud wrote:
We're making a distinction between the close-up thrower and the other throwers on the hero packs. AFAICT all 4 GB1 here packs were essentially the same in build and electronics but one had "upgraded" electronics in the thrower which we're calling the "hero" thrower as hero props are the "pretty" ones you get to see a close up of. The other "hero" throwers are built the same they just don't seem to have the same lights setup the few minor cosmetic differences we're discussing.
I completely understand the difference between the scrolling thrower and other throwers.

But just how u you used "hero" for two different throwers is where it could get confusing for some.

I like "super hero" :smile:
By janderson0719
Well I've done some researching in the movie and from what I can tell, the bargraphs all seem to be static and non moving.

One of the best shots I can thing of is when Venkman turns around and says" successful test" from when they proton the maid. Look at Egons bargraph on the thrower; it's not moving and just lights up.
By jackdoud
janderson0719 wrote:Well I've done some researching in the movie and from what I can tell, the bargraphs all seem to be static and non moving.

One of the best shots I can thing of is when Venkman turns around and says" successful test" from when they proton the maid. Look at Egons bargraph on the thrower; it's not moving and just lights up.
One of the problems is the theory that the bargraphs fully light when the vent light is on. There are times that the bargraphs are seen fully lit when the vent isn't on and IIRC there's at least one time when the vent is on and a bargraph isn't lit at all. One of these days I'll get around to doing a fully survey and screencap of the pack lights in the movie.
By janderson0719
It's hard to tell because of faulty electronics through out the movie.

I like to think that when the pack and thrower is activated, everything is on except for the vent light. That has a switch of its own. I guess going by what the movie presented with the "scrolling hero", the packs were already on, but the thrower won't function fully until that vent light is switched on. HEAT EM' UP!
By gdonovan
There was a diagram of one thrower showing two lamps (in a half moon shell) with a grid pattern.

This was used in some of the throwers, not sure which movie though.
By kevinj319
All four throwers are visible here and the knobs look unpainted on all four.

This is my theory on the "Super" Hero Thrower. The thrower was modified after principal shooting and the scrolling bargraph was either added in or switched on (depending on if you believe all throwers had the same electronics). The thrower was probably beat up quite a bit at this point, so someone decided to repaint it. However, they didn't bother to remove the labels or the knobs, covering them in paint. Then the shot we see in the movie was filmed by the secondary unit, as shots like this typically would be, and the person operating the thrower in this shot is not any of the principal actors.

So as I see it:
  • The insert close-up shot of the thrower was almost certainly shot at a different time, without the actors, by a different camera unit
    The Super Hero Thrower, so far, cannot be clearly proven to be seen anywhere else in the movie
    There is no evidence that the Super Hero Thrower was a 5th prop in addition to the 4 heroes.
To me, this evidence supports the theory that the "Super" Hero Thrower was a random thrower pulled into the shop and modified between principal and secondary shooting.
By Kingpin
From the desk of Ken Huegel, rescued from the original dissection thread:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ken Huegel wrote:Picture a mini hockey puck about 4cm diameter and 1cm thick. Slice off one end to make a flat edge. That's about the size and shape of it. Stick two inandescent bulbs through the round side, and sandwich the plastic sheets onto the other side, and voila! Instant "Cheap Version" wand power meter.

In reality, this gizmo was an indiator light for any number of applications, probably automotive or elevator, etc. The plastic sheets slide in and out of a track so you can replace them with printed words, which they probably started off with.

In fact, I dimly remember holding this same type of item in my hand during a 1986 jaunt to Apex. Back then, anything small that lit up was an immediate attention getter. Did I say "back then?"

Anyway, rather disappointing, to say the least. The gun power meter with its circuitry and vacuum-flourescent display was the main thing I was keen to get hold of (model numbers, etc.). From all the "corner cutting" I expected to find in this version pack, this item was about the only thing that took me by surprise!
By Phish4dinner
Great info for sure.

Thats from a semi-hero gb2 resin thrower made over 8 years later. So anything is still possible with the gb1 and converted gb2 hero. I would expect those to be much more intricate.

Even if we figure this out someday and it turns out to just be a still light, I'm still going to want a moving bargraph. :lol:
By Kingpin
janderson0719 wrote:If he bought that pack, why is it in display at Sony?
It isn't, most of the story is already detailed in the thread on the old version of Proptopia that I'd linked to, the short of it is that a screen used Ghostbusters II Proton Pack was auctioned off on ebay and bought by a collector, Sean and Ken Huegel arranged a trade/purchase and Ken took hold of the pack in question.

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]