By mburkit
noslliT wrote:I've never been asked, however, I've offered if they are in the armed forces and seem respectful.
Might let someone hold the gun or flip some switches, that's about it.
I haven't run into many problems or characters thank goodness.

I'd NEVER outright let someone just borrow my pack
Tillson, can I borrow your pack?
Chace, TobyMobias liked this
By Bob Wobbaz
I've been asked numerous times by people if they can wear my pack and the answer has always been a no. There's been 3 instances I can think of where someone else has worn it. Halloween 2010, I went to a zombie walk, then out to a club, not the wisest idea I know. In total I had my pack on for around 14 hours and my shoulders were screaming, the guy who was giving me my ride home was still partying. Another friend asked if I'd like the weight off my shoulders for a while whilst we were having a cigarette break outside the club. I was nervous and made sure that everything was strapped and secure but my god what a relief it was to have the pack off for 10 minutes.

Second time was at an event, a long time Ghostbusting friend of mine had issues with his pack the night before and subsequently hadn't been able to bring it. My shoulders aching after a good few hours of wearing it I was happy to lend it him, knowing that he'd take care of it. No problems, no issues, was totally fine when I got it back a few hours later, GBs know how to look after the equipment as they know what work goes into making it

Third time, our group went to a showing of the original print of Ghostbusters. We went in full gear, the cinema introduced us to the crowd, had some photos. We then put our packs and traps into a secure office room at the cinema and went to enjoy the film. After the film, this very top heavy girl in one of the sexy/slutty gb costumes asks for a photo which we were more than happy to pose for for. "You have proton packs right?" "Yeah'' " can I see them?" we ask the manager of the cinema and he's fine with her coming with us into the office room with the packs. Before I can react she's strode across the room and swung it onto her shoulder, just the one shoulder. I race over and am supporting the pack from the underside with my hands, I wasn't happy. Nothing got damaged but it easily could have. All in all I feel I've been lucky lending my pack but I'd never lend it someone who didn't have an idea of the work gone into it
By XxEctOxX
noslliT wrote:I'd NEVER outright let someone just borrow my pack
cause ur always wearing mine.
Chace liked this
By Rodimus
Jeryhorn wrote:I have only had my pack for a short time and had one of my best friends ask if he could borrow it some time, I said " I'm sure we can work something out" then I quickly changed the subject hopping he would forget :) seems to of worked out ... so far lol

Make him sign a weaver saying that any part of the unlicensed nuclear accelerator damaged will be replaced with an appropriate high graded part. For example if the thrower is damaged and it's all resin with pvc, you get an all aluminum thrower. Oh and his first born will be the next vessel for Vigo.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
Jeryhorn liked this
By Rodimus
Chace wrote:I rented a slime blower from Big D's once, but that deposit was a PITA

Good old Big Ds.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By nstevic01
My solution is having a pack that weighs 60+ pounds....nobody ever asks to borrow it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
By zeta otaku
nstevic01 wrote:My solution is having a pack that weighs 60+ pounds....nobody ever asks to borrow it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
This was the solution for my first pack :D Second pack I let no one touch (I STILL miss that Slimer7 pack fiercely) and my newest pack is only worn by myself and the fourth member of our "team" who doesn't have his own pack yet... and only when my back needs a break :D

My original pack was a beast. Heavy as hell, but solid. Even had an aluminum bumper. I was in NYC for Halloween and this kid and his mom stride over as I'm leaning against a wall with my pack off while my two friends are getting me a slice of pizza and a drink.

"Hey, Ghostbuster! My kid wants to wear your backpack." This woman is... well... sickly looking to put it nicely. The kid is in the single digits age wise.

"I think it weighs twice as much as your kid..."

"He REALLY wants to wear it. Baby gets what baby wants!"

I didn't want a fight so I pulled the thrower and held it, pack still on the ground. "Ok, if you can lift it with one arm, I'll let your son wear it." It was at this point that my friends come back and have NO clue what's going on as they watch this frail woman trying to get this thing off the ground. It was a real show... lasted several minutes and was later referred to as the sword in the stone incident. What follows is hazy at best but I do recall the kid starting to pout, so I put the pack back on, got on one knee and let him hold the thrower for a picture... which he promptly DROPPED after taking the picture...
I was at a thing last year and our host had a few too many. He was in a flightsuit and boots, and asked my buddy if he could wear his proton pack for some pics. I saw all the conflicting emotions run across his face, and I probably would have said no, but he generously consented, and then told me quietly how nervous this was making him. We both hovered very close to the guy for all the photos, and I remember cringing when he was stepping up and down a curb! But no accidents occurred, I am happy to report.

Alex
By gamera1968
The next time someone asks you if they can borrow your Pack, you say no.:whatever:

I had someone ask me back in 2009 during a Halloween street party in Wilton Manors, FL.
Even though it was a cardboard pack, it weighed about 10 pounds maybe. I had to say no,
since it took me several weeks to build, but I let them hold the wand for a photo op.

Same goes for this year, I'll most likely say no, unless its a cute girl. ;)
I've had more people just touch or grab than ask anything at all.

You're talking to a friend when that person who's been eyeing your pack all night slinks behind you. Out of the corner of your eye you can see an outstretched hand. You don't want to pull away and see them rip something off, but you don't want them to continue...

Is it just entitlement? People who can't fathom putting so much time and effort into one thing? Ignorance or stupidity? Nostalgia driven misappropriated ownership?
By PssdffJay
I've never had any issues at all. Although, I don't let people wear my pack. I have people bump me but not hard enough to do anything. Usually I'm the one knocking my N filter into a door way as I go through.
By fifth_beatle
Whenever we (the DFW Ghostbusters) have a table at a convention, we will do a "take a picture wearing a proton pack" sign on the table. We use a vacuum formed pack that is really light. We slip it on their back, adjust the straps, show them the firing button, pose for a pic, and then someone comes up from behind and slips the pack off. So far, its been a great system- fan walks away happy, we get a like on our page, badda bing badda boom.

However...this is probably not the same as borrowing. Borrowing entails giving over the item and having it leave your sight for an hour, a day, or maybe up to a week. I HAVE done this in the past, but only to people that hold a lot of clout (comic convention organizers, movie theater marketing directors, etc.) that I can, further down the line, get something exclusive from. An "I'll scratch your back..." mentality. And this, too, has been very lucrative in the long run.

I will also lend my pack to members who have not finished building theirs...within reason. Newbie? No way. Fellow member that is like a brother? Any day of the week.

So, in essence, use your best judgement. Stay fit, keep sharp, make good decisions...
TK5759 wrote:I certainly don't plan on letting anyone wear my pack, maybe pose for a photo holding the wand at most. My pack is extremely precious to me and I'm mostly worried about some drunk nar-nar at the bar trying to grab it.
For me, this has been the biggest issue. I don't know what it is, but I seem to attract the drunkards. Thankfully I've never had anything horrible happen to me or my equipment (knock on wood), but I'm also extremely careful.

I have friends who like to frequent a bunch of bars for Halloween and always want me to accompany them for costume contests. "Walk in and win." But I've refused upon seeing the crowd or venue before because it wouldn't be worth it to me.

I'm really not trying to be an alarmist. Being in public in gear can be one of the most rewarding things in the world and good experiences vastly outnumber the bad. But you have to think Spider-Man:

With a big Twinkie comes a big responsibility.
By crydrk
LandoSystem wrote:I loan both of mine out all the time. If they break or damage something, I can fix it.
Damage just gives me an excuse to tinker.
While I am in the camp of being too scared to lend out my proton pack, I like your attitude on it. :crunch: [edit: Am I missing something about how to post smilies?]
By goldenhawk
fifth_beatle wrote:Whenever we (the DFW Ghostbusters) have a table at a convention, we will do a "take a picture wearing a proton pack" sign on the table. We use a vacuum formed pack that is really light. We slip it on their back, adjust the straps, show them the firing button, pose for a pic, and then someone comes up from behind and slips the pack off. So far, its been a great system- fan walks away happy, we get a like on our page, badda bing badda boom.

However...this is probably not the same as borrowing. Borrowing entails giving over the item and having it leave your sight for an hour, a day, or maybe up to a week. I HAVE done this in the past, but only to people that hold a lot of clout (comic convention organizers, movie theater marketing directors, etc.) that I can, further down the line, get something exclusive from. An "I'll scratch your back..." mentality. And this, too, has been very lucrative in the long run.

I will also lend my pack to members who have not finished building theirs...within reason. Newbie? No way. Fellow member that is like a brother? Any day of the week.

So, in essence, use your best judgement. Stay fit, keep sharp, make good decisions...
My first Proton Pack that has cheesy lights and no sounds has been our "You can try this on and be a Ghostbuster pack" for a couple of years now. That thing is probably getting to be 10 years old and is still going strong.

The other thing we do is tell them they can try on the Slime Blower. Most people decline this. Either the size of the Slime Blower scares them or the Slime Blower gets no love.
alphabeta001 liked this
By Kingpin
crydrk wrote:[edit: Am I missing something about how to post smilies?]
You aren't. The forum's been experiencing issues with the emoticons for several weeks now where they'll suddenly stop working, and a process has to be reset in order for them to be recognised again.

To date I hadn't had anyone ask to borrow mine, but there are two instances that come to mind:

1) Back when ATARI was promoting Ghostbusters: The Video Game in London, a fellow U.K. Ghostbuster and I were on site and ended up doing some pro-bono promotion for the game, stood beside a replica of Ecto-1. At one point my colleague Mark had taken off his Pack for a fan to wear it, and when the fan put it on, and removed it, they were extremely reckless with it, and could've caused significant damage.

Said fan also eventually joined the UKGB and during his very brief span before getting banned, he bought two Proton Pack replicas. The first he ended up giving to a friend because it had received damage after a convention appearance, the second, we never really learned the fate of... but given his lack of care, it probably ended up going the same way.

2) Ghostbusters was back in cinemas here, and I'd approached my local and offered to appear in costume. Unfortunately one of my other U.K. Ghostbusters colleagues was unable to attend due to a bad bout of food poisoning, so I was on my own. Most people who interacted with me were good sports, but this one chap, whilst posing for a photo op, insisted on taking the Proton Gun out of my hand. In order to not cause a scene, I grimaced and bore it, and eventually the jerk went on his way.
alphabeta001 liked this
By AlexC
What's really fun is having your fiancée take your pack to school with her without asking and giving it to a group of rambunctious Japanese 4 year olds.

And THEN finding out that it survived the kids but not the drop on the sidewalk while it was being brought back home.

Still smarts.
By Enigmapc
I just attended my first con and it was so much fun! Most people seemed scared to touch the pack. I had to ask for help to get the proton gun back on the v-hook, and the people that helped were very cautious. I'm glad this thread is here because it presents scenarios I'm sure I will encounter.
My pack is near completion and I think the only way I'd let someone else wear it (who doesn't already own a pack) is sober and in the comfort of my own home. Even then, I'd be incredibly cautious with who puts it on. I would never let anyone borrow it, sans an incredibly high refundable deposit.

No when I turn it off it still keeps firing even t[…]

Awesome! It's a complex but very fun build... Went[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]