Ok guys, now that my Movie Pack is pretty much done I needed another project. So why not give
a nod to one of my favorite cartoons The Real Ghostbusters. My wife showed some intrest in
being a Ghost buster, so I thought the 3/4 scale made by joeluna33 would be a great pack
for the wife. She is small enough that it would look to scale for her and would not be as heavy
as a full size pack.

So first things first was to get the Shell. Love this shell and the quality is TOP NOTCH!

Here is what I got:

First thing I did was create a motherboard. I used some MDF board that I got at OSH Hardware (about $5).

Using a Sharpie Marker i placed my shell over the MDF and traced out the shell

You can see it traced out nicely here.

Using a Jig saw, I cut along the traced line.

Whoala you have a mother board

Now the Brackets

I used thes Corner braces. I figured since the pack is small these would work.

Drill your holes with a 7/32 drill bit. The holes on the brackets were to big for my method.

You will want to drill 3 more holes where the dimples are. You can see the dimples clearly in the pic above.
Your Bracket should end up looking like this. Here you can see that I drilled three holes.

Now lets trace the bracket on the mother hole and mark the holes.

Drill Holes with the same 7/32 drill bit.

Using 3/16 5mm Pop Rivets I braced them to the motherboard.

Did this in the best spots for me on the rest, you get the idea though. Here are some pics of that progress.

Now using kind123's method of attaching mother boards, I did the same here. Here are some pics of that.

Next up was the, what I like to call the HGA, but who knows. I used some 2inc in lenght and Diamter (i think)
PVC tube and using the left over MDF, traced out some circles and cut them using the Jig saw. Once I did that
I used JB weld, to glue them to the PVC pipe.

Now to what I call the "Booster Tube". Again I used some PVC Pipe that was to scale, sorry guys dont know
what size I used. Then got a Funnel that was the right size. get a 4 pack of 4 sizes for 1.50 at Frieght and Harbor.
Found the best size and fit it through.

Cut the tip off and Hot Glue in place.
Useing some Bondo Filler, clean up the mess. Sand down as necessary.

Now attaching the Tube to the shell. I used 2 U shape brackets and drilled holes in the PRE-DESIGNATED spots
already on the Shell :) .

This pic was before the funnel tip was cut off. But i used 1/4 nuts in the back to hold them down.

cosmetic

Holes for the Tubing..attaching HGA...

Next I got a L tube and added that to the top part of the Tubing..

using a Rubber gromet in both places to hold it in.

Lights/switches added, Tubing with Clippard barbs, Push button added to the pack

Created my Bumper, added the Shock Mount and used some HOt Glue to Hold the Tubing in place. (Use Vasoline on the tubing when gluing the tube in the hole, this will help the tube to come out once its ready for paint.)

So here is where I am now... You may notice that I have not mentioned the light on the top, as its wrong and realized that this should be a Gauge not a light with a metal peice on the bottom. If you look out our Reference pic of the RGB drawings, it looks like this, but thanks to the experts I was made aware that its a guage... so off to hunting for the right guage.
Last edited by mr0072003 on April 13th, 2013, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dred, JoeLuna33, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Looking good so far, the only elements I'll remark on are that I believe the yellow tank that's surrounded by the hose is only hemispherical, rather than a full sphere on the cross section. The other element is that if you're able to get a hold of it, some flexible metal conduit should replicate the hose that surrounds the yellow tank (and the the hose that runs along the front half of the Proton Gun) better in terms of the visual appearance than the black split-loom.

Are you planning to give it a movie colour scheme, or try remain true to the cartoon?
looking good. I love my RGB pack alot. definately a fun build and its awesome to see another one being put together. I built my own light kit for mine and it works awesome. If you need any advice on the thrower or anything with the build i am more than happy to give ya some input.
Kingpin wrote:Looking good so far, the only elements I'll remark on are that I believe the yellow tank that's surrounded by the hose is only hemispherical, rather than a full sphere on the cross section. The other element is that if you're able to get a hold of it, some flexible metal conduit should replicate the hose that surrounds the yellow tank (and the the hose that runs along the front half of the Proton Gun) better in terms of the visual appearance than the black split-loom.

Are you planning to give it a movie colour scheme, or try remain true to the cartoon?
Hahaha... Kingpin we were on the same track as far as the metal Conduit. I actually bought some of it. some thick and thin stuff, but the conduit is not flexiable enough to wrap around the HGA as it breaks before I can get a good enough bend on it. I may try playing with it later. If this does not work I will be painting the split loom to look metal like.

As for the Color... thats a big debate in my house right now. I really want to give it a real color scheme...BUT the wife really wants a theme pack (i.e HK, or some sort of Sanrio element.... :whatever: But I really want to try and nail down a realiztic version of this pack!
Nboucher2392 wrote:looking good. I love my RGB pack alot. definately a fun build and its awesome to see another one being put together. I built my own light kit for mine and it works awesome. If you need any advice on the thrower or anything with the build i am more than happy to give ya some input.

That would be great. Your thread was one I tried looking at for research, but your links were broken.
awwww, i see your point. i did some spring cleaning to my photobucket account and did not realize the links got all messed up. Thanks for the heads up.
i readded all the pictures back to that post. You can check em out now. They are all in the last post. the second to last picture is actually a video of the lights working in the pack so you just need to click the picture to see the video.
OK guys, a little update from my work the past few days.

ALICE Suspenders attached and added.

Red light added to the top of the pack. I was going to use the Trap lights for this, but I felt it was too small and got lost on the pack. Went to Radio Shack and got something a little bigger.

Next up was the part that goes on the side of the pack. I have watched a few episodes recently and still not sure if its a light or not. I decided to take some liberty in making my own touch to the pack and making it a fuse holder. WDYT?

Finally I got rid of the light on the top right of pack and added a Guage. Cool thing about it, is that it was like $5 and it says slime on it. I will be adding some red Gel over it to get the red look later.

JoeLuna33 liked this
I agree the fuse holder is a nice touch. The gage is pretty nice to. I am actually going to be changing my gage out and some point when i build a modern style RGB pack. My pack right now, the gage i have is actually connected to the batteries i use an displays the current voltage. When my plan for my Modern RGB pack is use a digital volt meter they use for the street racers. Its actually pretty nice cause its round hand its the same size. But thats later on. I am truly digging your build so far.
I bought one of these off of Joe as well to build for my son and I just received it in the mail today, I'll keep an eye on this thread and will eventually start one of my own as I start to build mine.
JoeLuna33 liked this
Small update on the pack...

I have switched out the ugly Pep Boys Horn Button for a more authentic looking one while still trying to keep the generel RGB be look down. I sadly got the wrong color shipped to me from the buyer, but I can paint the color I need when I begin to paint. I also added the Red Gel over the gauge. Many put it on the bottom, but my version will have on the top. I have seen to many pics and references that when the red does show up on the packs, its either a full red or the top shows red while the bottom is black. So I opted for what you see in the pic below. You can still see the word Slime this way too :cool:

For now enjoy!

EDIT -
Here are some close ups of the gauge with RED Gel. I did it both ways...which way looks better?

On top

Or Bottom!
Kingpin, JoeLuna33 liked this
I think the red on top looks good, I'd like to get my hands on one of those exact gages when I put my sons pack together where did you get yours from?
Hmmm, don't know if we have Pep Boys in Canada. I'll just have to keep my eyes open.
mr0072003 wrote:Basically any auto parts store. Search for Slime Air Pressure Gauges on the interwebs!
Cool, thanks for the assist!
Ok more updates. This time its the gun. Please note that it is still in the R&D stage so things are still not set in stone, as I am still figuring out scaling and look.

Edged out the side too

The left side is just a test part, it will be made better later..

Testing out Knob sizing and placment

Come Homward Ray Lights at the bottom of the base

Barrel Hose

Comments and suggestions are highly encouraged!
Kingpin liked this
thats looking pretty good. Are you planning on using a hook for the gun to connect it to the pack or are you wanting to make it more RGBish. if so the sloped piece on the left side of your gun will need to be strong enough to hold the gun.
Thats good info Kingpin... I was wondering how the hook held the RGB gun. Now i know. Yeah the rear handle is juat there for placement. It will be changed out soon. Thanks for all the compliments hope to have this thing completed soon. Well sort of. :p
I have seen that before, but i have also seen the side piece used as the *hook* for the gun. I have my hooked to the main body of the gun to the pack. i did it that way because it felt alittle more sturdy when walking with it. But i am definately digging this build. The reason i asked how he was going to do his was to offer some options. here is a quick sketch i did in Paint. Kinda pointing to the few ways i have seen how the thrower is hung to the pack.

The RGB thrower had a hook on the bottom. If you look up the DIC original thrower drawing it shows a folded hook. Kingpin is correct about the cradle for the rear handle but the main support was the hook.

Using rip-stop cotton and custom dye for each char[…]

The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]