By Alan Hawkins
It's that time a year again! Wizards World Chicago is two weeks away and JUST like last year I am trying to whip together a pack for a friend in less than 40 days. (I honestly don't know why I keep doing this...) This time we needed to replace the last of our original Styrofoam packs. We sold that for $600.00 which then became our budget for this build. I had already been stashing away parts to build a stunt pack for myself so I decided that I would donate those and scratch build everything that I could. I also got a lot of AWESOME parts from Jack Doud. Lights and sound are coming from the GBfans kit and of course a Studio Creation shell.

I have to say, I am actually pretty impressed with this. I expected the shell to be more flimsy but it was actually firmer than I thought it would be.

Joined the two halves and then fiberglassed the back. The was my pal's first time fiberglassing. (Give a man a fish... yada, yada.)

I had some quite time one night when the wife and kids were gone so I GOT BUSY! Made all of this in one night. Not perfect, but.. Not bad.

I had made a Pep Ion Arm for this pack, but it was a bit wonky so I whipped up this.

** Please, don't ask me for these files. They are not mine to give out and the original creator (Proton Charger) has removed them from the web.**

Starting to come together -

I decided to attach the Ion Arm and Boother Tube as one unit (via bolts and Industrial Hot Glue) and then place expoxy putty welds. Ala' a GB2 semi-hero. So this is my slug. Just needs epoxy welds.

The only thing that gets me about this shell is that to make it so the the shell would release from the buck, all the walls are slanted. Which makes getting parts to line up a bit of a grind.

N-filter -

I had the bumper from my Pep pack hanging around (I got a used Exoray bumper from a buddy and used that) and I whipped up a thrower body for him.

After a little bit of bondo work and paint -

We made a motherboard out of 1/8" hardwood and rough cut some aluminum brackets.

I'm putting him to work...

Motherboard attached and most of the parts are on -

And now for paint!

I don't have the time to make a styrene bellows like I have in the past so I went with the washer method. But, the looked... Off. So I decided to add a little flare -

Originally, I was planing on swapping this out for a better one. But I kind of dig it now.

I think this looks BAD A**!

And where it stands this morning. I have 14 days to finish this and the thrower. Yeesh...

ProtonCharger, Vee, Carpeteria and 2 others liked this
Durstlimpbizkit wrote:Lookin good man! I'm thinking of ordering those elbow connectors from the shop... got some resin ones but they look pretty bad.
Yeah. if you are not specifically building a GB1 pack then these are the way to go. I put them on three packs so far.
ProtonCharger liked this
This is looking awesome man. I really like the SC shells. One of our guys has this particular version and its a damn decent shell for the money. Heck, I've been thinking of buying one and retiring my current (heavy) wood one. Can't wait to see this bad boy finished!
By abaka
Durstlimpbizkit wrote:Lookin good man! I'm thinking of ordering those elbow connectors from the shop... got some resin ones but they look pretty bad.
Interested in knowing where you bought the resin elbow connectors. The only person I know who's selling them atm is Nick and I've never heard anybody refer to his parts as bad.
Checking the placement of the speakers -

Drilled my grates for the speakers.

It's a WAY easier task on hardwood than aluminum! Next up, placing the GBfans sound and light kit. I hope to have it running by Monday night. As a temp fix I will just be putting some static LED Christmas lights in the thrower until the new kit comes out.

12 days until Wizards World... :shock:
Everything was going swimmingly on this build until this BIG BLUE T*RD came in D.O.A. from China (They are sending a replacement but doubtful it will be here before Wizards World.)

I made a mount for the Power Cell lights. Normally I have been mounting these in the shell. But I like this better.

This is where it stands as I wait for more parts to come in.

As I am waiting I decided to replace the Belt gizmo I have made for my buddy for his birthday a last year. It has fallen apart. So I found a Craig 4506 (Which, btw... Would make a great kid Belt Gizmo!) it small but still has a good look. I whipped up a Sanyo motherboard and pop-riveted the smaller board to that. $10 and some scrap styrene. Not bad for a one day build.

Glenn Frederick liked this
Light and sound test of the GBfans kit. Since our blue battery is DOA, we are going to limp by with a 6xAA battery set up for the con and try to keep the pack limited to just lights. (My lovely assistant is my 2 year old daughter that HAD to be involved...)

Worked on the thrower a bit also -

Getting there. One week to go!
ProtonCharger liked this
Well, it's DONE! Here is the last of the build.

My buddy got to come over and try on his new pack -

Now it was time to get the thrower together. This thing is a purebred MUTT! Parts from Nick, MMM, Slimer7.

One of my buddies on GB:CD had a pair of grips from Slimer7 and gave them to me, but I have a sneaky suspicion they were made for one of his 3/4 scale packs since they are almost a half inch too short.

But, you know... FREE! So I measured my own grips and then went about adding the extra length. Here's what I ended up with...

And on the thrower -

FREE GRIPS!

And now painted -

And here it is. Still two days away from Wizards World. Final cost was under $700 with lights and sound. Now I can't wait to see him showing it off. Good deed, DONE!

ProtonCharger liked this
Thanks man! I feel like we have been doing parallel builds!

If you search "12v 9800mah" on ebay a lot of them pop up. There is a seller called shcfstore that I got my original one from. I mount it to the motherboard with 3m tape. Just now that once you place it, it does not come off easy.
By Letmebleed75
Probably the best sc build I've seen. Awesome job
Alan Hawkins liked this
Noob question what did you use to reinforce the back and the gap in the front. I know it says fiberglass but what kind/type where can you buy it ? I just got a sc shell and I'm wanting to get the right stuff to work with .
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]