By julz

Ok this has been quite a long time coming for "operation get Julz a proton pack"
I've been on this site since 2004 and still no pack! not from lack of trying you understand... Ghostbusters prop making is like a virus, once you start a build and start learning, new information comes in and all of a sudden your pack is all wrong. You find yourself loosing countless hours out of the day obsessing over reference pictures trying to decide if bill murrary's proton pack has 2 scratches on one side or 3 :sigh:

I started out originally with an exoray/Venkman71 shell. This was going along quite nicely... That is until I met a man on here by the name of Vince showing off his newly cast bigi shells. That's where this entire hero obsessing nonsense started and here I am on my 3rd shell with 2 hero builds on their way to completion. So really when I think about it... I totally blame Vince for all this pain in my life as well and the impact on my wallet.

Through my time on here I have met quite a few upstanding people and have made quite a few good friends on the book of face. You guys are all pretty choice and have inspired me to better my builds or pitch into help the community in some way or another. These outstanding gentlemen have always helped me when I need info and continue to do so much for the community.
You all know who you are! Nawww

Huge thanks must go out to AJ for making this site and all the work he puts in behind the scenes, as well as providing a place for us all to play in. For gb nerds you simply can not beat this place. People have come and gone in my time here and gbfans has been under attach from time to time, but no one has managed to make a ghostbusters fan site quite like this one.

Strangely enough, collecting parts and building these props over the last 3-4 years has really helped me through some of the toughest times of my life. So many many thanks to the community and to all my gb nerd friends.

OK thats enough of an intro ... ON WITH THE THREAD I SAY!
Last edited by julz on February 9th, 2018, 3:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
abaka, rays_occult, Kingpin and 4 others liked this
Over the last few years while collecting parts for my builds I have been able to contribute a little to the community. New gbfans Dry rubs with Vince, a new fuse lable for Joe Luna, and my favourite bit of research... the Spengler vhook :) "Jimbo's awesome 3 piece Vhook featured"

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, Sutton621, jimbo7 and 1 others liked this
On with the pack builds already!!!!

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is how my bigi330 looked when it started out... I think the writing on the back is the best part though...

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincenzo330 liked this
Sadly I never took any photos of Chris's shell when it turned up, so I'm going to borrow some from his thread... Hopefully Chris won't mind...
Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ok, This is where Julz gets slack of taking pictures :walterpeck: But during this gap I cut off the 330 nfilter and attached one of Vince's awesome metal ones. I mounted both shells and both times I have decided to go a different route to the accurate think aluminum brackets and went with thick steel brackets. I had to measure them up and cut them out with my dremel and to say it was a large amount of work would be an understatement. But in the end I think it's worth it and I shouldn't have to put up with thread stripping issues!

I used my own speaker template to drill out a crap load of speaker holes in each motherboard and all the parts have been dry fitted apart from the Chris shell nfilter.

Most of the bigi330 was finished outside of camera coverage sadly, but finally I started taking pictures again... :nicejobyoudid:

5....4....3....2....1 BOOM

It's amazing what the difference of quite a few months makes...

Special things to look for...

Vince's hugly accurate aluminum parts... possibly the nicest welds i've seen yet
Real gb1 and gb2 bellow
Venky bumper and ladder frames
Nick a tron gb2 murrary bumper
Chris injector tubes
RJ "Freaky Geeky" thrower
Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abaka, Kingpin, Sutton621 and 3 others liked this
halfmoon spacer cut out of wood...

Then moving onto attaching Jimbo's lovely Vhook, I came up with the idea to drill four corner support screws to hold the mounting block in place from the inside similar to the ones on the sony loby hero.

Then made a drilling template for the shell

Drilled some holes n stuff

aaaaannnnd tadaaaa

Just like the Spengler Vhook if I do say so myself... :roland:

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, Sutton621 liked this
One thing I have always done for support reasons is epoxy in a thick bit of metal on the inside of the gunmount. I never want my hook breaking off ...
Here is my mini mold keeping the epoxy in check

And the result

Well since I got the Vhook on there I might as well attach the thrower and hose ;) ... You can see Vince's handy work again on the booster tube...

As well as my vintage lc1 alice frame

And if I've made it this far there is something we all must do at this point...

PUT IT ON!

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think around this point this showed up in the mail... :crunch:

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots and lots of drilling :walterpeck:

But it looks nice.. so I'm happy for the effort I put in.
Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin liked this
At this point I started thing about how I was going to install my electronics. I had seen Bigi's amazing build and his sense of design and tidyness impressed me so I wanted to do something similar, slightly keeping in the same flavor to the real interior of the sony hero but with my own twists.

So I started cutting and drilling a speaker shelf

Here it is installed and I have also installed the powercell bracket

Then I moved on to my main electronics and how I wanted to display/install them. For my sound and light setup for good or ill I went with the now Infamous Mighty which I frigan earnt out of blood money for lack or a better term. I don't really want to get into too much over the mighty trainwreck, because I get really angry. In the end I felt that I went through too much shit to not use it. But a storm cloud comes over my head when I think of the whole kickstarter expierence.

Anywho... I knew I wanted all my electronics in my pack and in one tidy location. In order to achieve this I needed to teach myself how to solder, so I could extend all the wires.
I designed a rough shelf template based on the space one has inside of a shell and then printed it out and started figuring out where the electronics would fit...

Then made my shelf out of aluminum

I covered the shelf with acrylic plastic so I could glue the electronics straight to it. You can see I made some brackets going over the top of the main speaker to house my cyclotron lights as well as act as reflectors for the lights

Then started testing and debugging the lights vrs my small amp

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little bit further down the line... I replaced the shelf plastic with caution stripes and covered it with clear acrylic plastic.
You can see I have made use of all the space under the main speaker shelf with 2 sets of batteries...

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First round of painting...

I painted the aluminum parts with black etching primer and I added the halfmoon spacer in during the painting so I could get the unpainted block effect on my gb2 330 build :cool:
Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphabeta001 liked this
Currently taken over the house... Flatmates not impressed... nope nope

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphabeta001 liked this
This thread just made me scoff at my build. Beautiful work sir. Beautifully done.
julz liked this
By drjameshouse
Great start! I love great builds like this. Question, what are you going to use that pan for? I am sure it will be amazing!

EDIT: Also what have you been using to bend the aluminum? Those are very nice bends ;)
drjameshouse wrote:
EDIT: Also what have you been using to bend the aluminum? Those are very nice bends ;)
Check out my build thread. I went into detail on how to bend then based off of advice from Julz
Cheers for all the replies guys :) I still have a back log of stuff to spam you with. I haven't finished my builds yet but I am a bit further along.

Cheers for the comments Kingpin. I've been a bit lazy on the early part of the document side, but on the other hand I figured people have seen all that stuff before.

drjameshouse - I'm guessing you mean the cooking and wok pans... They are used... for cooking, our flat has too many pans and they spill out onto the table...

Aluminium crafting is actually not that hard. You just need 1.5 or thinner sheet metal and a good vice. Aluminium cuts easy with a dremel and a jigsaw... you just need plenty of crc lube ... haha I said lube.

AJ and Pat... I am a sexy bastard of a Wizard ;)
I did a little comparison a little while ago between the gbfans bellow and a real one. AJ really did a great job with his replicas... pretty frigan close if you ask me! :nicejobyoudid:

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJ Quick, alphabeta001 liked this
REPRESENT Jimbo! ;)

Thanks spud! :)
Okkkk - Hero nfilter time

This is my take on how I think it was attached. I think they were all attached with welds and the Spengler nfilter broke off and was then epoxied back into place.

So starting off... I had to figure out how to cut out the correct negative space from Vince's Nfilter. I came up with the idea of using some 3" OD cardboard tube, then taking measurements of all the main lines from the cyclotron I drew lines on the cardboard tube in order to make a template for my final metal nfilter. Once I cut away the cardboard while regularly checking it against the shell I then filled the complex rounded gaps between the tube and shell with masking tape, finally running a pen around the edges and cutting the excess masking tape off.

Then I was able to sleeve this over the metal nfilter and cut it out. There was still a tedious process of having to cut out more and more of the metal until it fit just right but I think overall the process worked really well :cool:

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gEkX, Kingpin liked this
I then grabbed a crap ton of Murrary pack reference pictures and jumped into maya to make a 3d model to help figure out where all the irregular nfilter holes sat and then used that info to make a template for my hole cutting. I printed this onto a sticker and stuck it to the nfilter for cutting.

Then using a nifty trick from Vince I cut the holes out with a stepped drill bit.

One of the main tell tails of the Murrary nfilter are the top 2 holes are quite close together than all the other holes and the right hole sits under the right cyc hole.

Last edited by julz on February 3rd, 2018, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin, alphabeta001 liked this
Julz, this is an amazing build! I'm still in the parts collecting phase of my build. This is truly inspiring to me as a prop building newbie. I will definately be using this thread as another reference once I begin building. I hope to document my build for the community as well as you have so far!

Well done!!
julz liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]