I wanted to start a thread, but let's call this a LIGHT build thread. I am pretty bad about taking progress pictures but if I can provide any information to anyone who wants to build their own pack than I figure it's worth it to update this thread as i go along.

The first thing that I want to say is thanks to anyone who has helped me out so far by providing info. parts etc. We all know that these builds are truly collaborative efforts.

I have been gathering parts for a few months now and am just now getting started. I am still waiting on various bits and pieces and will be ordering my GBFans shell next week. My first purchase was the new Throwing Chicken V3h kit. Man does this guy make it easy to make a noob like me look like I know what I am doing. If you are looking for an amazing thrower kit that is easy to build and insanely accurate, I'd go with TC!

After basic assembly I started my fake welds. I made the mistake of first using regular plumber's putty and a day later realized that the stuff never sets and stays gooey. After a bit of research I removed those welds and moved to the good stuff. Moldable Plumbers Epoxy. Much better! I used Throwing Chicken's method of rolling tiny balls of clay and applying them individually. It takes a little bit of time but the end result is really cool. I am happy with my fake welds for a first time try.

So I am maybe 70%-80% done with my thrower. I still have some touch ups to do on the pain and than a little weathering. I did a coat of "Rust-Oleum Flat Gray Primer" and than two coats of "Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish". After that was two coats of "Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Black Satin".

I did a little bit of light weathering as the second coat of Black Satin was drying and am pretty happy with the results so far. I will try and get some more detailed photos as I go.

Once everything was dried I installed my aluminum gun knobs (Thanks to Colin @ MMM). If you are going to make one upgrade to your TC kit I would go with the aluminum knobs. I'm still waiting on my tap and bit for the 4-40 screws so I have not put the top knob on the gun yet. I also added the dry rub transfers thanks to the GBFANS shop. I still have to add the label to the side of the light bar, I will be doing that this week.

ALSO: The Clippard valve on their right now is my 331. I need to switch it out with my 701 once is arrives.

Like I said I have some more work to do on the gun like adding the banjos and red tubing. I have not picked up an aluminum gun knob yet so that will happen soon. I am also going to change out the green tubing on the side lever so that it matches the one that connects the two barbs on the other side. I am also adding the hat lights from the GBFANS shop.

On to the pack as I said before I have not gotten my shell yet but it will be here soon. I have a lot of parts gathered right now and am only missing my GB1 Ribbon Cable and Clamp, Bumper, Bellow, and ALICE Frame. Everything else has been ordered or has already arrived.

The Resin pieces that you see in the photo are all from CRIX's Resin Hero Parts Kit. They are awesome parts and the next best thing to all aluminum parts. The booster tube is also from that kit. Big thanks to Crix for these!

Clippard 331 (eBay)
Ion Arm End Cap (GBFANS)
Red and Blue Lenses (GBFANS)
Aluminum Ribbon Clamps (GBFANS)
Dale RH-50 (eBay)
Dale PH-25 (GBFANS)
Sage Resistor (GBFANS)
4mm SMC Elbows (ebay)
Crank Knob (Wiz-GB008)
Booster Frame(Wiz-GB008)
Legris Straight Replicas (Wiz-GB008)
Clippard Elbows (JackDoud)
Aluminum L-Brackets (Ejgunth87)
Motherboard (GBFans through Lewis Tully)
Last edited by YHSCraig on May 24th, 2014, 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
I simply used a primer for mine, Rustoleum filler primer I believe. Check out my build thread, last page it should have a photo of it.
Thanks for the nice words guys! I got some more of my parts primed and painted. I'm glad to finally get going on this stuff.

I got my aluminum pack labels in from the new run and they look great! I also got my smc 4mm's painted and worked on the HGA and Iron Arm.

I finally got some more of my dry-rub transfers on to my gun as well has the top knob installed. It took forever to get my 4-40 tap in that I bought on eBay.

PssdffJay, rays_occult, Sutton621 and 1 others liked this
Well here's what happened. I ordered a set of dry rubs from GBFANS and when I went to peel off the circles they all came off of the paper. I notified AJ of this and he sent me 2 replacements. So my worst case scenario is that if after electronics installation I F them all up I can reapply them with my backups.
I finished up working on my ion arm last night. I almost screwed this up about 5 different times. Overall I am pretty happy how it turned out. Some epoxy leaked out from underneath the round resistor (I kept getting distracted watching the news coverage of the missing plane, so crazy and sad?)

I still need to do a little more roughing up of the end cap as well as straighten out the square clippard elbow.
I can't stress enough how great Crix's resin parts are. Great alternative to the aluminum pieces.

Only a small update today. I got in a few parts. The shell is being ordered next Wednesday and after that I will really get this rolling. I did get a chance to paint my injector tubes and tab them for hose barbs. I have a few more bars on order. I also started working on a custom belt gizmo, I'll have pictures up soon.

I got in my labels from heavy props as well as by GBFans banjos and another hat light

Now maybe I am a complete moron but do the holes in these banjos need to be drilled bigger to properly fit these screws or what? Either way, i test fitted the banjos with some 10-32's I had lying around from my clippard 331 valve. I just want to figure out how to put the correct screws on. Any help would be great.

I know that the screws there on the backplate not supposed to have a nut or a washer, I'll probably take it off, but it's staying for now.
Are those the replica banjos from the shop? If so, I have the same problem with the set I just received. I spoke to AJ and he says there was a mix up with the plans. He's working on a solution. In the meantime, I had the same idea you do. Any decent screws will do just fine holding them onto the thrower.

Yours is looking great! I'm waiting on my TC kit right now... Hoping it ships next week! Ah!
YHSCraig liked this
Yeah they are the ones that just came into the shop. My first idea was to just drill the holes bigger to try and fit the banjo screws in but that went south quickly. I guess I will shoot AJ an email and figure it out. In the grand scheme of things it's really not that big of a deal but I would like to get the accurate screws in there before the packs done.

Congrats on getting the TC kit, you won't be disappointed!
A few quick updates. I received my v-hook this week from ejgunth87 and it's a beauty! Since I still don't have my shell I just went ahead and attached the female plate to the gun. The v hook came with all of the necessary screws so it took me all of 5 minutes to drill out two holes and tap them with my 6-32 tap.

I am slightly annoyed with myself because the v-hook is slightly crooked, and I mean a centimeter or two, on the bottom but I don't think it will make much of a difference when the gun is mounted on the pack. We'll see on that one.

I also got in my bumper and shock mount from KCGhostbuter. Both are really quality parts. I did a light sanding on a few edges of the bumper and went ahead and primed. I am leaving the screen-accurate seam line on the bumper, I think it looks really good.

I am really impressed with his shock mount as well! I really wanted a metal one but was having trouble finding one that was accurate/affordable/etc. I went for his resin cast one that came pre-weathered and painted. It looks amazing and I think it was like 15 bucks. I definitely am recommending it to anyone looking for a shock mount.

The incomparable AJ Quick sent out my banjo replacements in no time at all! These ones have the proper size holes for the accurate banjo screws and I can't thank him enough for the replacements!

Lastly for today, I got my injector tubes painted and tapped with 10-32 holes for the clippard barbs. I know some people use the barbs and some jut feed the tubing right into a 1/4" hole but I like the look of this and I had the extra barbs anyways.

I ordered my LC1 Alice pack and my Clippard 701 from the GBFans shop this week. Shell order is coming next! After that I am planning on ordering Crix's light/sound kit and I should be finished with this thing by June/July hopefully!
rays_occult, Sutton621 liked this
Great job on all the parts so far, the injectors look really good! Yeah I shouldnt worry too much about the angle of the hook on the thrower, it shouldn't be that noticable as you said. You can always plug the hole with epoxy putty and re-drill if it is. Great to see everything coming together!
YHSCraig liked this
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Ha. The dry sense of humors never translate well on message boards! The batman logo isn't screen accurate but if you want one for yourself it's a dollar placemat from Target.
I don't care so much about screen accuracy as I do about being in the ballpark, IE knowing what it is. But cool, I'll take a look next tiem I go there.
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Ha. The dry sense of humors never translate well on message boards! The batman logo isn't screen accurate but if you want one for yourself it's a dollar placemat from Target.
That's why you have to use the winky face. ;)
YHSCraig liked this
Mat wrote:
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Image
Something about the part as well as the background makes this Epic. :mrgreen:
That would be Lady Hatred's Louise Belcher signed 8x10. It's been watching me build.
rays_occult liked this
I got the bumper painted today and put on my aluminum label! I need a better camera, hopefully will be upgrading from my iphone-4 to at least a 5 sooner rather than later. I should get some better quality photos from that. I attached the shock mount with a 1/4-20 cap head just to test fit it. Once I get the shell I will run a longer bolt through the cyclotron and bumper to the shock mount.

Also a question to anyone who can help. When attaching resin parts (booster tube, ion arm etc.) through a GBFans shell what length bolt/screw should I use. I have a bunch of 1/4-20 X 1" but I am thinking I might need 1 1/2" or longer. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]