After months of prep work and a heap of various parts sitting here in various stages of completion, things are finally coming together! The Ion Arm is painted and the resistors attached. Also got some tubing cut.

Question. On the smaller RH-25 resistor, what is done with the top lead that does not connect to anything? Leave it? Cut it?

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat wrote:It depends which pack you look at; some appear to be clipped off and some still have the stud. I would be tempted to leave it on
PssdffJay wrote:I left mine on my resistor.
Thanks guys. I'm gonna leave it on. Preserve my options. :)
GohstTarp wrote:Just finished reviewing your thread again to prepare for my build. It's full of great ideas and will definately be using your 'MagSafe Vacuum Line Gearbox connector' system.
Thank you my friend. Most things I just copied from others. Hope to see you start your build soon. It's great fun. I will be watching!
GohstTarp wrote:Looking forward to connecting my Vacuum Tube Hose with a...
A magnet meme! Love it. Definitely need more packs with magnets!
Finally got around to painting nick-a-tron's awesome resin shock mount (bellows). This version includes brass powder in the resin but I decided to apply my own paint to get the finish I desired.

Two coats of metallic copper base, a light misting of metallic gold with polished aluminum for the top washer thingy. A wipe-on & dabble of black/sienna glaze tones down the shine. I am trying to achieve a look suggesting a used & aged part. I also applied glaze to the stove bolt to match.

Another "all-fired plain-vanilla" feature.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will be installing pack electronics so I need a place to mount the PCBs. I am using black ABS for the board because it is cheap and easy to work with.

I outlined the ABS and used a Dremel with a router attachment and a cutting bit.

Before drilling the motherboard, I estimated the location of the "Danger" label to avoid placing holes in this area.

I mounted with (5) 1-inch 10-24 button head bolts and 1/2-inch nylon spacers.

And a coat of metallic aluminum completes the PCB mount board.

Another "all-fired plain-vanilla" feature.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now that most of the holes are drilled (still need to create & position a bracket for the Power Cell lights), time to paint the Motherboard. I have an "all-fired plain-vanilla" plan for the inside so I taped I margin around the edges.

Once that was dry, the backside got its first coat.

The moment I've been fearing and anticipating has arrived... painting the shell.

I decided to incorporate a combination of the methods I tested a few weeks back. I want the supporting areas and Cyclotron to have a rough texture while others remain smooth.

First step, tape the shell and spray on the selected texture. An advisory to other green Frog tape users... something in this paint reacted with the adhesive and it released from the paper, leaving behind a sticky residue that I had to clean off.

I let the paint cure for a week and then sanded, knocking down the rough texture until it was smooth and bumpy. Next step, use an air hose to clean off the dust for painting.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
An undercoat of black primer followed by a flat black topcoat.

After drying overnight and some light cleanup, the shell is ready for mounting parts.

Some details...

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks guys! There was definitely much hand wringing over this step. Glad I made it through. Now on to hanging parts!
I'm gutted that I won't be able to texture my pack as the only thing I could possibly use is stone effect paint. I've read some horror stories about it and no thanks. You really did nail it Bish, love this build
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I'm gutted that I won't be able to texture my pack as the only thing I could possibly use is stone effect paint. I've read some horror stories about it and no thanks. You really did nail it Bish, love this build
I used Krylon's "Make It Stone" obsidian. Take the risk, it might turn out better than you expect. :)
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Don't do this to me :D I've just spent the best part of 2 months talking myself out of it lol
Understand there is much commitment to layering and sanding. Not sure what products are available in the UK but if you have a change of heart & mind, I will divulge my secret SWAG* texture method. ;)

* SWAG = silly wild-assed guess
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Don't do this to me :D I've just spent the best part of 2 months talking myself out of it lol
Understand there is much commitment to layering and sanding. Not sure what products are available in the UK but if you have a change of heart & mind, I will divulge my secret SWAG* texture method. ;)

* SWAG = silly wild-assed guess
I see what you did there ;) Thanks buddy, really appreciate that. Yeah being UK based means its pretty much stone effect paint or nothing from what I've researched.
Mat wrote:It depends which pack you look at; some appear to be clipped off and some still have the stud. I would be tempted to leave it on; I tried to find a screen shot, but couldn't find a clear enough one.

This one has the stud

And this one doesn't!

The first one is a hero pack and the second one is a semi hero. The semi heroes used resin resistors which is why there's no stud there.
bishopdonmiguel liked this
abaka wrote:The first one is a hero pack and the second one is a semi hero. The semi heroes used resin resistors which is why there's no stud there.
Ah, now that's very interesting! Doubly glad I did not snip it off. I learn something new nearly every time I visit this site. Thank you!
abaka wrote:
Mat wrote:It depends which pack you look at; some appear to be clipped off and some still have the stud. I would be tempted to leave it on; I tried to find a screen shot, but couldn't find a clear enough one.

This one has the stud

And this one doesn't!

The first one is a hero pack and the second one is a semi hero. The semi heroes used resin resistors which is why there's no stud there.
Is it me or is there a casting line along the ion arm and the side of the EDA?
Hijacker wrote:Is it me or is there a casting line along the ion arm and the side of the EDA?
Not you, definitely there. Looks like it might run all the way to the back of the shell.
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Hijacker wrote:Is it me or is there a casting line along the ion arm and the side of the EDA?
Not you, definitely there. Looks like it might run all the way to the back of the shell.

That shell is a semi hero so the ion arm is cast into the shell, it wouldn't be a seam line as it was cast directly from the Venkman/Murray hero pack which didn't have a seamed line. Probably just a line in the mould that casted over.

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]