Great Job Grimmy! Everything is looking great!
Grimmy GB liked this
thebigone2087 wrote:Great Job Grimmy! Everything is looking great!
Thanks brotha! The further along I get, the greater the anticipation. I can't wait to join the cool kids club!
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Looking awesome! That first time you wear in on your back has to be the same feeling as holding your first born child. (But I'm assuming more satisfying)
I have now experienced 1 of the 2 listed. :D And thanks man!
So this happened today. It was a bit weird trying to find "center". It might not even be centered for all I know lol!

Sanded the seam line on the bumper. Used the dremel for the big stuff and used drywall grid 180 grit for the rest. I ran out of 400 grit or it would be done. I really like the pitting on the side portions, so I'm not touching those. I'll fill in the ones on the top though

According to Stefan's measurements, the thrower track side was about 3/16" too low

You see my solution. U.S. pennies are 1/16" thick

Measured plumb. Side perspective

Top perspective

Doneskis. I used 1/4' - 20, 1" screws
Wow! So impressed by the lengths you went through to ensure an accurate placement of your bumper. I just eyeballed mine - then again, if I had as sweet a bumper & shell as yours, I'd want it to be super accurate as well! Amazing work, dude!
Grimmy GB, alphabeta001 liked this
Naptime wrote:Wow! So impressed by the lengths you went through to ensure an accurate placement of your bumper. I just eyeballed mine - then again, if I had as sweet a bumper & shell as yours, I'd want it to be super accurate as well! Amazing work, dude!
Thanks bub! I actually had to somewhat eyeball it, but tried measuring with what little knowledge I have. Honestly, I wish I had your abilities with your builds. You have several of us jealous ;)
You did a great job! I found mounting the bumper the hardest part with my ocd trying to get it perfect. Who's bumper are you using?
Grimmy GB liked this
PssdffJay wrote:You did a great job! I found mounting the bumper the hardest part with my ocd trying to get it perfect. Who's bumper are you using?
Thanks Jay! I actually used your posts a bit. I forgot to reference you...so thank you for posting. I'm using Nick's bumper :)
PssdffJay wrote:How much space is between the bottom of the bumper and the cyclotron. I think mine was 1/2" to 5/8".
With a quick measure, it looks like about 3/8".
Every update yields more awesomeness.
Grimmy GB liked this
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Every update yields more awesomeness.
Awww, you're too kind amigo! You are one of the ones setting the standards bish.
Grimmy GB wrote:
PssdffJay wrote:How much space is between the bottom of the bumper and the cyclotron. I think mine was 1/2" to 5/8".
With a quick measure, it looks like about 3/8".
Could be the difference in the shells. Looking great either way!
Grimmy GB liked this
PssdffJay wrote:
:D So when are you getting your thrower back so you can get back to your build?
Grimmy GB wrote:
PssdffJay wrote:
:D So when are you getting your thrower back so you can get back to your build?
I have it back, I just need to paint and then do electronics. Bad news is, it just dumped 8" of snow last night and were looking at -10 degree weather for a while.

All I can do is watch your epic build until I find a heated garage.
Grimmy GB liked this
PssdffJay wrote:
I have it back, I just need to paint and then do electronics. Bad news is, it just dumped 8" of snow last night and were looking at -10 degree weather for a while.

All I can do is watch your epic build until I find a heated garage.
I'll try to deliver ;) And keep that 4 letter white stuff up there, would ya? :walterpeck:
You could always heat up a box! I'm lucky that my job has warmth and ventilation. I just have to find time to pull away from office work :(
Ten packs now and I still am never happy with a mounting job I have done on a bumper. That part is as awkward as a hippo riding a unicorn. You get it right from two angles and the other angles look wrong. At some point you just have to find the closest happy place.
Grimmy GB liked this
Alan Hawkins wrote:Ten packs now and I still am never happy with a mounting job I have done on a bumper. That part is as awkward as a hippo riding a unicorn. You get it right from two angles and the other angles look wrong. At some point you just have to find the closest happy place.
Alan, 10 builds...holy...crap
I do believe that's the best advice (and description) anyone could possibly give on mounting them. I wish there were a template we could use but with all of the shells varying, it's just not feasible. I wish I lived closer to you so I could borrow your super power abilities :P
Hehe! The wife is collaborating a Ghostbusters inspired pin-up outfit for the burlesque show. She's giddy about attending everything that weekend ^^
Alan Hawkins wrote:For Kiss Kiss?
You know it! I'm also looking for a flight suit (and the fixings) for her too for the parade ^^
So I have been staring at my bumper for the past few days. Something didn't look right. I made this template making a rectangle at the widest and highest portions of the shell. This might help someone for finding the mounting center or not.
It turns out that the bumper was approximately 3/8" too low (or high depending on the adjustment side). That's not much, right? It is when you're OCD!
I kept the gun mount/HGA side stationary and adjusted the powercell side. The measurements are now more precise. I racked my brain trying to come up with a way to do this and here is my solution. Does this make sense to anyone?

I will now re-drill the holes.
I thought I was OCD, but I think you must be CDO. Get it?

That actually is a really smart way to do it. Can't believe I never thought of that! How does it look in application. Even if it lines up by the measurements, it should still look right on the shell.
Grimmy GB liked this
PssdffJay wrote:I thought I was OCD, but I think you must be CDO. Get it?
*sees OCD instead of CDO* LOL!
PssdffJay wrote:That actually is a really smart way to do it. Can't believe I never thought of that! How does it look in application. Even if it lines up by the measurements, it should still look right on the shell.
It actually lines up perfectly all the way around! It seems that this *might* be the way to go on my future builds. What I'm worried about is (kind of what you are eluding to) that each shell make is different; meaning this might not work every time :sigh:

I forgot to mention that in order to get the marks to line up, I had to run a ruler (vertically) down the sides of the bumper. Only after I made thick lines I learned that I needed to do that. So I used a silver sharpie over the black lol.
I feel like I'm confusing myself. Too much caffeine!
Lowberg wrote:Almost forgot about this thread, looks amazing! Can't wait to start on my Bosh shell, though I doubt it will be as nice as your build!
Thanks man! And I would like to beg to differ...judging from your turd polishing you've been doing. It's the best polishing I've ever seen on one of those!

I have this week commenced my most ambitious proje[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]