By WShawn
Howdy:

A few months ago I had the pleasure of hanging out with a group of swell men and women from the Portland Ghostbusters group at the Rose City Comic Con. When it comes to strapping on my gear I’ve been somewhat of a loner for the past few decades, so it was nice to meet and have dinner with others who share my love of Ghostbusters and, especially, its props.

My Proton Pack turned 30 years old a few months ago (late October, 1984). I guess the age of my pretty-accurate pack is kind of unprecedented, at least according to Portland Ghostbuster Jason Groschopf, who’s more in-tune with the current prop-building community than I am. I come to this site now and then and am amazed by the accuracy and level of detail that’s being achieved these days.

For those who might be interested in how my friend Bryan Ambacher and I managed to build our packs over a decade before the internet came to be I’ve put together this website:

http://marshall-arts.net/ProtonPacks

I built the image-heavy site in Adobe Muse; it will probably look best on a desktop machine. It looks kind of cramped on our old MacBook.

Here's a photo of our packs taken in 1985:

The general accuracy of our packs can be attributed primarily to luck, in that we happened to be living in the right place (southern Arizona) at the right time (September, 1984) when we heard that Richard Edlund would be giving a presentation at a film festival in Scottsdale, hot off his company, Boss Films, completing work on Ghostbusters and 2010. On the hope that, just maybe, he would bring a Proton Pack along with him I brought a really old 35 mm non-SLR camera, a light meter, 1000 speed film and a ruler. Our hopes were rewarded, as there was a hero pack, a stunt pack, and a trap on display at the Scottsdale Center for the Arts.

Here's one of the photos I took on September 15, 1984 of that hero pack (a bit soft and grainy but invaluable):

I took 13 photos, 12 of the hero pack and one of the trap. We also took measurements, writing them down on this crude sketch of the prop:

Unfortunately, we didn't take photos of our build in progress. At the time the process wasn't as important as the outcome. To make up for the lack of in-progress photos I've created a model of our pack in Cinema 4D, showing what went into our build. It was mainly plywood, masonite and PVC pipe. Very, very heavy.

Here's one of the 3D renders I've done for my site:

There's also a video section that includes our appearance on the KOLD-TV news from November 10, 1984 when we entered the masquerade at the local Tus-Con convention.

My site has additional background leading up to our builds, plus a lot more photos and scans and renders. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Digging up our old photos, sketches and video, building the 3D model and creating the site has been kind of a labor of love for me. Bryan and I are quite proud of our packs, even though they aren't quite as accurate and detailed as those being built these days.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, Oregon
Ecto-1 fan, Master Taran, AJ Quick and 11 others liked this
By pyhasanon
This is outstanding! Thanks for sharing! Is it possible to share the other photos that you took that day?
By WShawn
I think the site is all better now. Please let me know if you have issues.

All 13 photos I took that day are on the site in the References section. I don't mind sharing the full-size scans I made of the 4x6 photo prints in the next few days.
By pyhasanon
WShawn wrote:I think the site is all better now. Please let me know if you have issues.

All 13 photos I took that day are on the site in the References section. I don't mind sharing the full-size scans I made of the 4x6 photo prints in the next few days.
Oh, duh, totally didn't bother opening the link to your site, got excited reading the rest of your post! This is fantastic! You, dear friend, are a pioneer, and totally a legend! Thanks for paving the way and sharing! =D
By spark
Awesome Shawn! Thanks for sharing!
I even love how you added the Pringles logo on the can that you used for the n-filter. Outstanding!
By WShawn
Demon Vice Commander wrote:Wow, those are some incredible photos of the Spengler Hero pack in all its GB1 glory. Thanks for sharing!
I was wondering whether someone here could identify which pack was on display at that 1984 exhibition. I'm happy that it's Spengler's; Egon's sort of my favorite Ghostbuster. I guess I relate to his oddball nerdiness.

What are the identifying characteristics of this pack? Is it where the paint's scraped off?

Shawn
By rays_occult
Amazing thread Shawn, your packs and the website you have created are amazing, thanks for sharing!
Yeah all of the packs have certain differences from one another, usually the type of resistors used or the twist of the ribbon cable as well as the placement of the fittings on the HGA. The main thing that identifies it as the Spengler pack is the horizontal welded bar that links the ion arm to the booster tube. None of the other packs have that, they have a different weld.
By Alex Newborn
Wow! Awesome bit of archeology here. I'm just a few pages in on your site and my head is spinning.

I guess this pic can lay to rest the 'half-moon spacer' debates once and for all.

Glad to see my Clippards are facing the right direction, too.

Alex
By bishopdonmiguel
I can't decide what to be most impressed with... your totally awesome groundbreaking scratch built pack or your appearance in "Revenge of the Nerds." I'm not worthy and I bow in humility to your greatness.
Grimmy GB, Sutton621 liked this
By ghostfan003
What amazing attention to detail! I'm inspired by your dedication and accuracy. :D
By Grimmy GB
Man...I can't believe you guys MADE you ALICE frames also! I also like that you were labeling some of the items "radiators". It kind of makes sense. SO.MUCH.WIN.
By Parflagush
Man, just looking at some of those photos takes me back. I love the 80's! I built a pack back then too when I was just a kid. All I had for reference was a grainy VHS taping (on SLP speed) of the the behind the scenes featurette, so my pack only slightly resembled something you might catch ghosts with. You're so lucky to have had access to the real thing back then when GB was fresh and new. Terribly jealous of you, man! Still, really cool of you to share that. Thanks!
By WShawn
Lowberg wrote:This thread is SO COOL. Wow! What a story and great pack!

Also maybe the senior members can correct me if im wrong.... but these are the only "reference" photos of a GB1 Pack! besides screenshots?!!
Thanks for the kind comments from everyone. I'm glad I finally got around to sharing this stuff. Had I known that shots of the GB1 packs were so rare I would have posted them a decade or more ago. I guess I felt that there were so many much clearer photos out there that the ones I took weren't that valuable from a reference standpoint. But they are cool from a historical standpoint.

As I wrote on my site, I have no idea how long those props were up on display at the Scottsdale Center for the Arts in September of 1984. The film festival ran groundbreaking special effects-ish movies on the weekends from September 6th through the 30th, with major guest programming occurring on September 14-16 (Friday-Sunday). In addition to the two presentations we saw with Edlund and Greg Jein there was a tribute to guest of honor Robert Wise, an AFI film preservation event with Wise and Eddie Albert (who was wandering around the venue), and presentations focused on film in Arizona. So maybe the props were on display for all three weeks of the screenings, or maybe they were there just for those three days of the main events with the speakers. Something makes me think there were other special effects items on display, like miniatures and matte paintings, but I have no concrete memory of such things.

As I've repeatedly written, we lucked out. Even the most skilled craftsman can't replicate a prop without decent reference materials. Given the same opportunity I'm sure a lot of people who frequent this forum could have produced comparable, if not superior, replicas. I sort of got to the point of, "Well, it's 90% there; I'll leave it at that."

Cheers.

Shawn
By WShawn
Volguus wrote:This is also you?
Yes, that's me, or at least my work. That piece in the 2nd edition of Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy was a reprint of an article I submitted to Finescale Modeler that was published in the March 1994 issue of the magazine. I had no idea they were going to reprint the article until I received that book in the mail along with a check for, like, $50. That was quite an honor since I'd long-owned the first edition of Famous Spaceships. I think my article in FSM was voted a reader favorite for that year.

Another slice of my fifteen minutes.

That Enterprise model resides in our office along with my pack and other goodies. Here's a staged photo:

The bummer thing is I've had almost zero opportunity to work on these hobbies since moving to Portland in 1995. Just too busy fixing up our house and attending to our motion graphics/3D animation business. I'm really hoping I can finish my new and improved PKE meter that I've been working on since before moving up here sometime in the next few months. Unfortunately, I was saying the same thing ten years ago.

Cheers.

Shawn

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]