By Exoray
The story of the V71 Mark X (V71-X)

The story starts to unfold about a year ago when I decided to make my own pack shell and create a mold to make fiberglass copies... Having the skill set and full 24 hour access to a fully stocked and operational cabinet shop I was about to embark on the long journey...

But, before I left on the long journey a very generous offer was made to me by a fine outstanding gentlemen (you won't find many this dedicated and generous) of this community... To make the story short he was willing to provide me with a copy of his newly created masterpiece to use as a building block and base for my creation, complete with full permissions... How could I say no... It would give me a huge head start and knowing the reference used to create it, it was undeniably the best building block I could have ever expected or dreamed of...

So the journey took a new path, the masterpiece arrived and I looked it over like a kid in a candy store... Then sadly it was tucked into dark storage while I worked on other projects... It seemed like it was tucked away for an eternity, and it seemed ashamed to dig into it and only use it as a base to create my own... It was perfectly fine on it's own... But, none the less I had set out to bring my own vision to reality and it was donated to the cause so off to the operating room it finally went...

The initial stages of the operation were done at the Tattoo shop, in the basement since it's the slow season and nobody would really be bothered... This proved slow as progress was halted as customers arrived... So out to front of the shop on the sidewalk it went on several occasions, even drawing the attention of the local PD that probably wondered what that awful noise was at midnight... No worries he just did a drive by, made eye contact and had that "Yeah OK, silly Tattoo shop guys" look on his face... After initial surgery it was off to outpatient services, this included my driveway, and when the weather suddenly went south the girlfriends dining room table and garage... It wasn't all smooth sailing, there were many times when I literally asked myself WTF am I doing to this poor thing... I was going to take progress pictures but the horror was simply too much...

Gentlemen we can rebuilt him... We have the technology... We have the capability... Wait, wrong story...

But, rebuilt I did... Some changes were subtle, some you will never see and yet others were more drastic... In all there was nothing wrong to start with so every modification was carefully thought through... Pretty much every inch of the pack has been worked to some degree, be it a little sanding or attacked with a cut off wheel...

I believe the end result still has it's original heritage, while incorporating my visions, and came together quite nicely... It's still an idealized build but I like the way it came out... All the sanding and intricate work destroyed my wrist, damn tendinitis, but I feel it was worth it, you be the judge...

Some things to note, due to it's heritage this was not built to anyones plans, thus it's unique in pretty much every aspect... Any changes I did were idealized changes based on available reference photos...

A satisfactory fit to the current laser cut motherboards can be obtained with a little filing, but it's not a 'perfect' fit... I have contacted MMM and if there is enough interested he might be persuaded to do a custom run of motherboards... But, I believe most people with a little work can make the existing motherboards fit more then good enough, at least as good as the originals...

You will notice the booster tube sits slightly recessed in the PPD, this should provide a more stable mount and help keep the seam from cracking open on those less then perfect angle cuts...

The shell incorporates many of the newly discovered details, those being the different size cyclotron rings, the 15th cosmetic plate, the shelf on the powercell fin, the one piece segmented strip on the lower crank generator, and the tapered corner of the PPD...

Sorry about the glossy paint job, bad for pictures, good for a final wet sanding, buffing and waxing prior to molding...

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Exoray on November 24th, 2008, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gbrob
I'll just copy my reply from Proptopia:

That's awesome man... congrats on the build!

Oh and a fitting name for the shell...

:D
By takimeta
Flynn.

Are you a GOOOOD???

*waits for answer*

THEN... *turns around with arms outstretched*

Keep up the great work! I can't wait to throw my money towards you already for a shell! :vinzclortho:

//tomasi
By gunza
simply amazing! put me on the list :-D
By staticbuster
dude, that is pure SEX. very nice, clean work. i gotta know, what is the base material? i simply cant tell knowing that it is painted once, i assume the color is from the paint?
By Exoray
staticbuster wrote:i gotta know, what is the base material? i simply cant tell knowing that it is painted once, i assume the color is from the paint?
I believe the original buck was made out of bass wood, but I was provided a fiberglass shell to work and build upon...

I fibbed a little on the progress pictures, here is the only progress picture I did take, this is right before the first primer coat, there are 4 coats of primer and tweaks total on the shell as it sits now...

By staticbuster
awesome. likewise, i cant wait to see how these [yours] turn out!
By UltimateGBfan
Wow Flynn,that is one nice shell.

I can't wait till you start offering these,gonna have to save me some money for this bad boy.
By loly2kn2
Nice work on that!

Just a suggestion... I think there is a curve between the top of the Gun Mount and Gearbox... I remember seeing it in a pic and making a note of it, but I cant find any reference atm...

Looks great though!

Lawrence
By Luke R
A beautiful shell!

Clearly a lot of love, elbow grease, and thought has gone into it.

The drill bit guides for hole cutting in the cyclotron rings are a great idea.

Even a monkey should be able to turn out a stunning pack with this as a base.
By Luke R
It's the final rectangular plate identical to 14 others that encircle the cyclotron/ spacer.
It sits behind the ribbon cable clamp.
By Exoray
Luke R wrote:The drill bit guides for hole cutting in the cyclotron rings are a great idea.
A ridiculously over tooled tweak... I actually made a custom drill guide on a lathe to accomplish that, and it's was machined out of some leftover high tempered steel... Way overkill but it got the job done...

It's the final rectangular plate identical to 14 others that encircle the cyclotron/ spacer.
Well I don't believe any two of the plates are identical on this shell unlike the common plans... But yeah it's the often left out and not included on plans 15th plate under the ribbon cable clamp...
By Charlie Richter
well there ya go,
I seen that extra panel and thought, hmm looks like there is one too many? ha.

Damn, now i have to add another one to my freshly finished spacer.
By Exoray
Charlie_Richter wrote:well there ya go,
I seen that extra panel and thought, hmm looks like there is one too many? ha.
Nope, rest assured it's there on the real packs, if you look real carefully you can catch a glimpse of it on some of the reference photos on this site...
By Charlie Richter
Heh, i beleive ya man.
that was my thought when I first looked at your shell.

fricken good job, ive almost finished my first build out of core foam.
By takimeta
Hey Exo,

So, when you mentioned that most MB's possibly need to be reworked to fit the shell pulls, did you mean that the shells themselves are going to be smaller in some areas and bigger in others?

//tomasi
By UK Ghostbuster 89
wow! :cool: good job on the mould there m8, seriously good job.

the first pics of the mould look like a chocolate pack, what u would get out of a ghostbusters xmas advent calender lol
By Exoray
takimeta wrote:Hey Exo,

So, when you mentioned that most MB's possibly need to be reworked to fit the shell pulls, did you mean that the shells themselves are going to be smaller in some areas and bigger in others?

//tomasi
Since the shell was built with mostly measurements taken from a real pack vs any of the currently available plans it differs in a few areas... Nothing huge, mostly just a smidgen here and there...

When I get the mold made and a new pull I will outline it in more detail with pictures... But, before then the laser cut boards made to Stefan's plans are real close, but there are little areas here and there that are not 'perfect' a little shy here and there and a little heavy here and there, the only real noticeable big issue is the little block on the bottom left where the injector hoses go into, it's shifted about 3/16" or so so on one side 3/16" of it will need to be filed off the motherboard, and in all honesty the little bit it's shy on the other side is not noticeable unless you really look..

The rest of the shell fit to the motherboard is give or take 1/16" or so, easily as good of fit as the originals...
the first pics of the mould look like a chocolate pack, what u would get out of a ghostbusters xmas advent calender lol
It is Wal-Mart cheap walnut colored paint, it's much more 'orange' then what I thought it would look like... I let the girlfriend pick the paint as it really had no bearing on any thing at this point and black just seemed too generic for the master... It's all dull now anyway as it's in the process of getting a complete surface wet sand, and then a wax job so it's not going to look all that pretty since I'm not buffing it back to a shine...
By Ectofiend666
UltimateGBfan wrote:
I can't wait till you start offering these,gonna have to save me some money for this bad boy.
*DITTO...MAJOR DITTO :cool: ...

*Cheers.
By Ectofiend666
*Even though you appear to be finished, do you/did you plan to incorporate this cosmetic piece [that was pointed out by someone else in a different thread]?:

*And if not, does anyone have any better pictures of this piece? I obviously don't see it hard to replicate it and add it to a pre-existing shell, but need better reference to achieve the best results if I have to go that route...

*Cheers.
By Cole Funstuff
That's not part of the shell. It's an L-bracket used to take the stress off of the injector tubes.

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?