By GhostGuy
I was looking at a pack someone was selling today and something about the ribbon cable struck me as being off.

At first I thought they might have used the ribbon cable being sold in the GBFans shop, as the clamp he's using appears to be from there, (It fits the cyclotron ring snugly.) and I wrongly remembered that cable as being narrower than the real one. (It's actually a bit wider.)

But after some investigation, I determined that he is in fact using the correct 30 pair cable, and the problem is actually with the clamp itself being too wide.

To be sure, I took my own 30 pair ribbon cable and placed it inside the cable clamp I purchased from the shop, and sure enough, it's a match for the pack on sale, but it doesn't match what we see in the reference pics. The easiest way to tell there's a difference is by looking at the bolts. On the GBFans clamp, a 30 pair cable just about fits between the bolts. But on the real packs, the bolts actually overlap the cable significantly. The end result is that the clamp appears to be something like a quarter of an inch too wide on each end.

Of course appearances can be deceiving. It's possible the clamp is exactly the right width, but for some reason, even though the cable has the correct number of wires, it's still narrower than the cables produced during the 1980's were. But that would be much more difficult to determine.

The GBFans clamp is still the most accurate clamp available in my opinion, and you could always take a hacksaw to it to narrow it down a bit, though nothing can really be done about the locaton of the bolts as they come pre-drilled. But I thought I should point this difference out so that maybe on the next run the design could be altered if neccessary. Perhaps he made it wider than normal intentionally though... seeing as the ribbon cable he sells is a bit wider than the real ones. Which I guess would make sense, but it would be nice to have a clamp sized for the 30 pair cable.
By AJ Quick
If you have a newer one of my clamps, it should be right on. I measured and proportioned it out using photos and it came out closer to the real deal. Stefans plans show the thing as being huge.. and we all know that it is now too big.
By namebrand
Yeah, I think Stefan's plans showed the clamp to be 4" wide when an accurate clamp is 3.5" (going from memory here). There was a discussion (argument) about it on Proptopia a couple years ago now (I think).
By irricanian
My clamp is 4" wide with the bolt holes being 3" on center, the ribbon cable is 3" wide so the bolt holes overlap the cable by 1/8" on either side. I'm sorry but at 3.5" wide the bolt heads would almost be touching the edge of the clamp and just doesn't look right..

Here's the PH pack
http://www.gbfans.com/image.php?url=/im ... /25/10.jpg
By AJ Quick
irricanian wrote:My clamp is 4" wide with the bolt holes being 3" on center, the ribbon cable is 3" wide so the bolt holes overlap the cable by 1/8" on either side. I'm sorry but at 3.5" wide the bolt heads would almost be touching the edge of the clamp and just doesn't look right..

Here's the PH pack
http://www.gbfans.com/image.php?url=/im ... /25/10.jpg
Actually.. That's about right.

1/4" on each side on center with the bolt.
By namebrand
The old thread on Proptopia is gone now I believe, but here are the images I created at the time showing the comparison of a 4" clamp and a 3.5" clamp. The ribbon cable itself can be used as a measuring tool. You can see that a 4" clamp is far too wide. Obviously the one screw is not as far in from the right edge as the one on the pack.

By GhostGuy
AJ Quick wrote:If you have a newer one of my clamps, it should be right on. I measured and proportioned it out using photos and it came out closer to the real deal. Stefans plans show the thing as being huge.. and we all know that it is now too big.

How much newer? I bought one near the end of November, and the one I got is 4" wide.
By namebrand
When you say "your clamp" are you addressing me? The one in that pic isn't one of the few clamps I sold. Anyway, in that pic I'd guess that the cyclotron is someone's cake pan version which most likely means it's far too small.
By GhostGuy
I took the reference pic irricanian posted above, and using an app I happen to sell which is designed specifically for this purpouse, I removed the perspective from the image. I then imported the image into photoshop, and scaled it so that the ribbon cable was 3" wide when the image is displayed at 150 dpi.

The resulting image, seen here, is 3.65" wide. Which is notably less than 3 11/16", but slightly more than 3 5/8".

I think it's safe to round it down to 3 5/8". (3.625")

All of this assumes of course that the ribbon cable is 3" wide in the photos. But there's no guarantee of that.
By AJ Quick
I looked.. and you are right.

Mine are 4" wide.

I had to of come to that conclusion from some measuring off of pictures though. Understand that ALL of these are going to be different from pack to pack as they were cut by hand. So I must of taken measurments off of the photographs and perceived them as 4".
By irricanian
The other thing to consider is whether it be a fiberglass shell or a scratchbuilt pack there may be differences on the cyclotrons radius for fit. One thing for sure is the 3" on center bolt pattern so that the ribbon cable looks correctly placed.

I wouldn't be too worried about the difference in length 4" or 3 5/8" , if its that big of a deal just take off the 3/16" from each side with some tin snips or cutoff wheel. It's really not a big deal.

I'll be leaving mine as is.
By namebrand
At 3.625" it's much closer to 3.5" than to 4". As I am sure I stated in the thread back on Proptopia, the 4" clamp is visually just too wide and makes it look like the cable is tiny. Not bashing anyone's work, but in my opinion the 1/2" to 3/8" is a big difference.
By namebrand
The sections with the twisted pairs is a tiny bit under 3". Unfortunately without a straight on shot scaling isn't going to be 100%. Unless some better pics surface we can't definitively say, the absolute measurement though I tend to agree that something around 3.625" does work visually. My complaint with Stefan's 4" clamp is that it doesn't look right with the cable.
By staticbuster
i have some newer production 64-pair spectra strip cable that if two pairs are removed measures 2" 15/16". so 3" is pretty close to the right size for the cable.
By Exoray
namebrand wrote:The sections with the twisted pairs is a tiny bit under 3". Unfortunately without a straight on shot scaling isn't going to be 100%. Unless some better pics surface we can't definitively say, the absolute measurement though I tend to agree that something around 3.625" does work visually. My complaint with Stefan's 4" clamp is that it doesn't look right with the cable.
John the picture I used is real damn close to straight on, any perspective distortion is very minimal... Not saying it's perfect but it's damn close...

Another thing to consider is that there might have been variations in the clamps, especially from GB1 retrofitted packs to GB2 builds...
By namebrand
Yeah I agree that variations could easily exist in width especially considering they were pretty quickly cut on a band saw (at least partially).

Oh also, I wasn't paying attention closely enough to your photo, the straight pair section of the cable (which is where the clamp is on your pic) is a bit more than 3" wide. This would only affect the scaling a small amount. The pic you used as reference is at a good scaling reference and the numbers would appear to come out to something around 3.5625" and 3.625" for the clamp on the stunt pack at Sony (I forgot about the Sony pack pics I haven't revisited the clamp since those pics came out), it seems pretty consistent with the PH Minnesota hero pack as well. When I get around to making a clamp for myself I'll most likely use 3.625" and probably more thoroughly go over any new reference available.
By GhostGuy
namebrand wrote:Oh also, I wasn't paying attention closely enough to your photo, the straight pair section of the cable (which is where the clamp is on your pic) is a bit more than 3" wide.
How do you come to that conclusion?
By namebrand
GhostGuy wrote:
namebrand wrote:Oh also, I wasn't paying attention closely enough to your photo, the straight pair section of the cable (which is where the clamp is on your pic) is a bit more than 3" wide.
How do you come to that conclusion?
By measuring a piece of Spectrastrip at both the twisted pair section as well as the straight pair section. With my digital caliper the straight pair section is 3.101" wide and the twisted pair section is 2.928". There could be slight variations but the twisted pair section of any cable will be narrower.
By pchrisbosh1
Can anyone confirm?, but it looks like they drilled through the cable itself and put the socket cap screws through for more security, i also noticed on 4 inch cable clamps what most of us have and what most of us do is just put the socket cap screws to the sides of the cable.

Chris
By Exoray
pchrisbosh1 wrote:Can anyone confirm?, but it looks like they drilled through the cable itself and put the socket cap screws through for more security, i also noticed on 4 inch cable clamps what most of us have and what most of us do is just put the socket cap screws to the sides of the cable.

Chris
Yes the screws go through the cable...
By thor2015
I've actually noticed this for awhile but nobody seemed to care much as it was showing up on most everyone's packs. Will there be plans to release a more accurate clamp? If so, I'll be in the market to buy one. If not, I'll most likely be constructing my own. The one problem I have with using an inaccurate clamp is that if a more accurate one comes along I'll have holes in my shell that I will then have to fill or at least hope that the new clamp covers up.

Honestly, I wouldn't obsess over getting out the digital calipers. As long as the bolt holes are within the general areas of the cable as seen in the reference pictures I'll be happy.
By phantom50
Why is it that every n+1 months these topics resurface? Here are the correct cable specs:

Plates are 3.50" x 0.75", with 5.00" radius. Drill through the cable or don't. Cut the cable under the aluminum plates. Or do what I do and tap the lower plate and sandwich the cable with the bolts.

Brock
phantom50
By namebrand
thor2015 wrote:Will there be plans to release a more accurate clamp?
When I used to make them I made them 3.5" wide, I think the ones AJ was selling were also 3.5" wide.

Like Brock said, it doesn't much matter if you put the bolts through the cable. I would personally just notch the cable, which makes it harder to pull out of the clamp, but is easier than trying to put holes into the cable.

I do disagree with Brock's measurements though. ;)
I feel they should be 3.5 to 3.625" wide by 1" with the 5" radius. I do plan to research it more to see if I can determine if the 3.625" measurement, mentioned in this thread, fits better with the screen used packs.
By pchrisbosh1
Any chance of someone releasing a more accurate cable clamp? i know me plus many others would be in the market for one.

Chris
By thor2015
namebrand wrote: When I used to make them I made them 3.5" wide, I think the ones AJ was selling were also 3.5" wide.
I will get home and measure the one I have which I purchased through the GBFans shop quite some time ago. AJ did post earlier that the clamps he has are 4" wide. I could cut some material off the side, but there are still the holes in the clamp to deal with. I'll probably end up scratch building these, but I may see what a shop would charge to make these as well. Since most shops deal in quantity if I am able to get such a project going I'll post for interest to see how many people are interested and then go from there. However, since I'm a ways from any shop that I know of if anyone else wants to undertake this project, don't let me stop you. I'd rather see this project get going than to have it held up because people are waiting on me.

Also somewhat related question...I don't see giz[…]

Hey guys I've been doing some updating and adding […]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]

To repost what I said in the other thread: I don'[…]