For users in: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, & West Virginia.
By roopjm
This will be my first year at Dragon*Con, and I was wondering if there are any tips to prevent any major breakages on my pack.
We've all worked very hard on our props and I'm curious how you prevent any prop shattering.

Thanks!
By Tyrael
Haven't made it to Dragon*con yet, sadly, but the conventions I have attended generally have pretty respectful people who understand the unwritten hands-off policy that comes with expensive props.
At the very least, traveling in groups and the occasional death glare will help, as well.

Sent from my last remaining link to civilization
By cowbybill
only advice I can give is make sure all the stuff on your belt is secure. I had a guy at wondercon this year yank my trap off my belt, ripped the entire bottom clean off. Also watch your clearance with your pack. Sam (A member in our group) constantly knocks his N-filter off) on door jambs, walls, etc..
By roopjm
Yeah, the only trap I have is my Matty, and I am seriously thinking about leaving that at home
By cowbybill
This wasn't the Matty one thank god! one other thing you may want to consider doing is put together a small "repair" kit together to keep in your Car, Room, etc.. that way you can do minor repairs.
By bpontheair
Be extremely careful, especially on Saturday. There are tons of close spaces in the D*C hotels that get VERY crowded and tight.
By roopjm
Thanks Brock! I actually thought of the question based on your podcast, since I listened to them all today :)
By Some_Guy
Take your time when walking. Most of the time I've noticed when people smack into things is when they're speed-walking or trying to hurry somewhere. Never try to "squeeze" through a crowd either. If you have to loudly said excuse me or tap them on the shoulder, giving a small hand gesture that you need a little more room (since the halls to get very, very loud).

When I had on someone elses pack for a while I made sure I leisurely strolled around, waiting for big enough openings through people before even trying to squeeze in.
By jackdoud
The main way to prevent breakage is to make things sturdy in the first place. Quickie foam-and-cardboard props held together by tape and bubblegum probably won't even make it to the con much less survive the crowd. I'm not saying you have to pour a solid steel pack and weld it to an alice frame but Murphy's Law applies doubly to large crowds of drunk fan boys. A little common sense and caution should be all you need.
By bpontheair
roopjm wrote:Thanks Brock! I actually thought of the question based on your podcast, since I listened to them all today :)
Awesome! Thanks for listening! Anything we can do to help make your D*C trip better, just let us know. :)
By roopjm
I'm just so looking forward to PKE surge I can't control myself, very excited to know what's gonna happen and the events!!
By Undrtkrbob
One thing we made a point of doing in crowds was carrying the wand in our hands. It gives you more clearance and prevents some of the scariest Con moments I've had. There have been a few times when someone walked up to me in a crowd and helped themselves to the wand. This usually happened when we were stopped waiting on people or talking to others in front of us. While looking at the pack they go to unholster the wand and try to pull it straight out from the pack instead of in the direction of the v-hook.
By Sutton621
I usually keep Superglue, epoxy, and a tiny tool kit in my car at cons just in case. During the last con one of my l brackets stripped so my hex bolt fell out. Luckily I had superglue to put on the bolt, then I screwed it back in, it was a good quick fix. But yeah, just try and keep a little "oh crap!" bag filled with tools, that can fix any minor problems you might encounter.
By lucky12
I have two small camera bags attached to my kidney pad belt (part of the Alice frame). Inside them I carry a mini screw driver with a bunch of different head types and sizes, super glue, electrical tape, and my gerber multi-tool. This can usually cover any on the spot fixes.

The bags are small, and I know they take away from the accuracy of the uniform, but I tend to take a practical approach to some things.
By gEkX
I'm thinking of building a stunt trap to let the kiddies play with.. and by kiddies I mean adults that act like children..

"OH THATS KEWL ITS ONE OF THEM GHOST CATCHING THINGS... OH IT HAS SHINEYS ALL OVER.. I WANNA TOUCH IT.."

I mutter "I got a wand for ya right here... "

Then hand them the stunt trap and smile.
By SuperGeekGirl
gEkX wrote:I'm thinking of building a stunt trap to let the kiddies play with.. and by kiddies I mean adults that act like children..

"OH THATS KEWL ITS ONE OF THEM GHOST CATCHING THINGS... OH IT HAS SHINEYS ALL OVER.. I WANNA TOUCH IT.."

They don't even announce when they want to touch it, usually. They just grab and pull.

*innuendo intended*
By noslliT
I agree with the previous statement of holding your gun while walking around.
It gives you something to do when taking pictures and it protrudes out enough that the hose gets caught on something ow the gun hits someone.

Be very aware of your surroundings and watch your friends' back.

A good thing to do I be polite to people. People will be people in regards to grabbing at you and your props.
It really depends on how you want to come across. It's easy to be a dick and tell people to get out of the way and "don't touch me"
I'm more on the lines of rolling with it and tell people "whoa be careful with that. You might hurt yourself"
By SuperGeekGirl
Getting someone's back isn't the same as getting ON someone's back. Maybe ion arms are meant to protect us from people who get confused by those rather different phrases. Happens a lot. Common misunderstanding, especially when it comes to proton packs.
By a7percentsolution
I'm so glad you guys addressed this! This will be my first year with a full suit and pack and I've been just as concerned about something happening to it.

I also have the Mattel trap and have been debating about whether or not I should bring it considering there's no easy way to attach it to my belt. Thoughts?
By cowbybill
I'd leave your Matty trap at home unless you have a secure way to attach it to your belt. My Scratch built trap was on my belt very securely and some #@#% decided it would be fun to yank on it. Tore it right off the base plate, he dropped it and damaged the doors among other things.
By a7percentsolution
That amazes and scares the hell out of me that people would do something like that. I mean, I understand the desire to touch something that you're used to only seeing on a screen... but come on, have a little respect for people's stuff and personal space.
By cowbybill
I think people that don't do costuming/Cos Play/ Reenacting/ or whatever you want to call it don't realize the time and effort that goes into the whole process of getting the gear together and building it. People who are part of the community (if that's what it's called) are much more respectful of your gear.
I kinda chalk it up to folks getting caught up in the moment. generally most people are respectful but it just takes that one person to screw something up.
By aliencatx
gEkX wrote:I'm thinking of building a stunt trap to let the kiddies play with.. and by kiddies I mean adults that act like children..

I hear you there on that one brother, the same thing happen to me last halloween.I got mauled by parents of trick or treaters and they ripped off my ion arm amongs many other peices but thats another story.

As for the kit like many others have said carry some basics thread, glue etc and you be good.
Most people ive meet at cons have been respectful of my stuff and have always asked to see it first.
remember YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY NO but just be polite about it.
I like to use the reasoning of "Sorry you have to be licensed and resisted before handing this equipment under the paranormal protection agency act." It sounds legit enough for most people to back off.
The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]