PssdffJay wrote:How long does the smoke last with this setup? As in, if you let it go until the smoke stops, how long does that take?
Not sure how long it would last to be honest, although I'm pretty sure the voltage would run below 5 volts before either of the 50/50 glycerin/poly-glycol mix reservoirs (refillable) run out. The coils (replaceable) are alternating on and off at 2-3 secs each so coil burn out is a non-issue. I've left them on continuously for 2-3 minutes at a time and with anywhere from 5 - 10 demo runs in a day with no problems encountered. It produces a huge volume of smoke/vapor very quickly and does not need to remain on long to achieve the desired effect. Never felt like running it straight until it ran clean or the battery drained below operating voltage to find out what the limits are.
PssdffJay wrote:How long does the smoke last with this setup? As in, if you let it go until the smoke stops, how long does that take?
Still refining the setup, now using smaller 3v pumps and 6v on the ecig cartridges, putting out even more smoke than in previous video. Measured about 2amps with fan, pump and cartirdge running, so would expect close to 1 hour of running time with the 1800MAh battery now installed. I also put 12v fan on separate switch with variable voltage for speed control so smoke can be cleared out of trap after pumps are turned off. A lot more room now with smaller punps and my scratch built mini version of the Vellman timer module and the UBEC 6v switching regulator (from RC plane supply). Reduced the 6v to 3v for the pumps by soldering 4 small diodes in series covered w heatshrink to the pumps, each diode drops about .7v. Had some 3v regulators from ebay but misplaced them so this solution works for now.
I wish you weren't six hours away from me. I would totally have you come to visit whenever I actually shoot my GB fan film, and this would be the 'hero trap' for closeups. Then when you had to leave, I'd just use a Matty trap for the long shots.

I already knew this one was gorgeous, but now seeing the smoke effect, it's just the icing on the cake.

Alex
Sephiroth liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:I wish you weren't six hours away from me. I would totally have you come to visit whenever I actually shoot my GB fan film, and this would be the 'hero trap' for closeups. Then when you had to leave, I'd just use a Matty trap for the long shots.

I already knew this one was gorgeous, but now seeing the smoke effect, it's just the icing on the cake.

Alex
Hey Alex

Let us know enough in advance, Charles and I are always up for a road trip, maybe around the Phoenix con.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with yet on the trap is the level of noise from the pumps, looking for ways to reduce the vibration noise or finding pumps the same size of a different design that are quieter, currently scouring ebay
Alex Newborn liked this
Seeing how the e-cig setup worked very nicely for our ghost trap, we decided to also integrate it into my proton pack's N-filter for the overload and manual vent smoke effects...

This will allow the venting effect to be used safely indoors and around people with none of safety hazards associated with the more common CO2 setups. This also allows the vent effect to be used over and over with no worries of having to replace a costly dust can every 30 vents as the the e-cig cartridge is good for at least a 100 full vents if not more. It is compact in size and frees up more space within the pack. We are looking at adding a strobe light to the inside of the N-filter that will be synced to the fan to enhance this feature.
OMG!!! That is so epic, I personally think this is so much more better (grammar? =P) than the phoenix pack... You should create a tutorial, because this is something I'd really like to have in my future build... More power to you guys, you're both doing an amazing job!
Sephiroth, momeraths24 liked this
pyhasanon wrote:OMG!!! That is so epic, I personally think this is so much more better (grammar? =P) than the phoenix pack... You should create a tutorial, because this is something I'd really like to have in my future build... More power to you guys, you're both doing an amazing job!

Yes yes infinite yes, I would LOVE to give the venting action on the GBfans board some action to go with the sounds.
Sephiroth, momeraths24 liked this
Sephiroth wrote:Seeing how the e-cig setup worked very nicely for our ghost trap, we decided to also integrate it into my proton pack's N-filter for the overload and manual vent smoke effects...

This will allow the venting effect to be used safely indoors and around people with none of safety hazards associated with the more common CO2 setups. This also allows the vent effect to be used over and over with no worries of having to replace a costly dust can every 30 vents as the the e-cig cartridge is good for at least a 100 full vents if not more. It is compact in size and frees up more space within the pack. We are looking at adding a strobe light to the inside of the N-filter that will be synced to the fan to enhance this feature.

This is absolutely ingenious!
Outstanding work... I may have to incorporate this into the new pack I am building!!! I was wanting something different than the duster spray version and this looks exactly what I have been looking for. :)

For you! :crunch:
Sephiroth liked this
This trap is awesome. I just joined the forum, I am constructing a trap out of styrene and foam core right now. Your trap looks a little bigger did you use the measurements from any plans on this site? Or do you have some basic measurements for your build?
Thanks!
slimerstan wrote:This trap is awesome. I just joined the forum, I am constructing a trap out of styrene and foam core right now. Your trap looks a little bigger did you use the measurements from any plans on this site? Or do you have some basic measurements for your build?
Thanks!
I printed out the PDF's from stefans plans to full size from the 1:2 sets he has posted and referenced high resolution pics from original traps from GB1. The GB1 trap definitely is a good bit larger than the GB2 and other stunt traps that the Matty trap is based on and a lot of commercially available trap kits.
I had to play around with a couple of programs to get my printer to print the plans at 200% to get full size plans, they will print out across 6 tiled pages, then you can tape them together for full size reference. BTW the actual measurements are printed on the plans so you can double check the accuracy of your print out

I made most of my trap from foam core and styrene, but if i do another I'll probably use the plywood sheets available at
Hobby-Lobby that I used on my grand daughters 3/4 scale trap. It's slightly heavier than the foam/styrene but much stronger
I provided the plans for the doors to Franchesky and he can make the aluminum doors to fit the GB1 hero trap at a good price

jim
Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]