By neo_virus
Hey guys,

Figured I would post some pics of the current progress I have made of Irricanian's trap kit. Unfortunatly there arn't loads of progress pics but I will try to desribe as best as I can.

Firstly once I got the kit unpacked what else was there to do than to cautiously balance everything together and take a picture. :D

Once I was happy with the way everything fitted together I started by attaching the handle to the battery box and then the battery box to the backwall of the outer part of the trap. I did this by using drilling holes through the resin and then screwing in some countersunk wood screws. Whilst I will be backing up pretty much all of the screws I use with a heavy dose of epoxy 2 part glue, some I shall be leaving unglued to allow access to areas for maintance such as the battery box.

Once this was done, I then moved onto getting the sides and base of the outer casing attached, drilled and screwed. From here I then started working on the two side plates and drilled out all the holes I needed to attach the 'greebles'. It's this part of the project that really starts to make it alive and feel like a real piece of equipment :D

Once these were done I took everything off the plates and then started marking the holes out on the sides ready to drill and mount the plates too.

I then moved onto the inner cartridge and wanted to get the forward indicator attached as well as the inner cartridge 'lid'. To hold the forward indicator in place I put two screws underneath the 'lid' going up screwing the forward indicator in place.once that was done I put a screw in every corner of the 'lid' and screwed them into the corners of the inner cartridge box.

More dryfitting:

This is about all I have done so far, like I said above alot of it is just screwed into place at the moment. When I have finished assembling it with screws I will dismantle it and start adding some epoxy glue to it and then when that is done move onto filling and sanding.

Unfortunatly progress is a bit slow as I have various other projects on the go too (you may have noticed the Ecto-1 kit in one of the pics). :)

I do have a few questions though that would be great if anybody has the answers too!
  • Firstly this thing is damn heavy, and the handle feels like it 'bends' slightly when I pick it up by that. Is there anyway to strengthen and support this? Also how would the weight of this affect it hanging off Irricanian's trap holster?
  • The bolts I was given for the wheels on this have a weird 'socket. to them. Instead of them being either flathead, philips or hex they are actually just square! How would I actually go about screwing these into the axles of the trap?
  • Does anybody know how to wire the light kit up? I was given two LEDs, two resistors, a 9v battery connector and a few bits of wire.
  • Lastly, how would I go about creating/wiring up the forward indicator lights to get them to scroll from side to side?
Anyways thanks for looking and feel free to check out my uniform thread here.
By Peaugh
Looks good! I just got my MMM trap kit today and your pics were a huge help in figuring out where one of the parts went.

I'm also just a wee bit confused on exactly how to wire that LED, so if anyone tells you, let me know!
By Gareee
We are scratchbuilding traps this week, and these pics help visualize everything better.
By irricanian
neo_virus wrote:

I do have a few questions though that would be great if anybody has the answers too!
  • Firstly this thing is damn heavy, and the handle feels like it 'bends' slightly when I pick it up by that. Is there anyway to strengthen and support this? Also how would the weight of this affect it hanging off Irricanian's trap holster?
  • The weight of the trap is fully supported by the holster, no problem there. May pull your belt down a bit if it's not snug on your waist.v
    The bolts I was given for the wheels on this have a weird 'socket. to them. Instead of them being either flathead, philips or hex they are actually just square! How would I actually go about screwing these into the axles of the trap?
  • They are Robertson head bolts(red #2 squarehead)
    Does anybody know how to wire the light kit up? I was given two LEDs, two resistors, a 9v battery connector and a few bits of wire.
  • One resistor and LED are spares in cas you make a mistake and overheat while soldering
    Lastly, how would I go about creating/wiring up the forward indicator lights to get them to scroll from side to side?
    You're on your own there, I'm probably the worst person to ask about electronics :lol:
Progress looks great!

Anyways thanks for looking and feel free to check out my uniform thread here.
By Gareee
If you look at JT001's thread, you can see how the doors are attached. there are pins put in the "arms" at either end of the doors, and those fit into holes in the front angled parts, and the two raised trap door cubes. No need for additional hinges at all.

I'll just use cuts off a rod or coat hanger for those pins, since I prefer metal for them instead of wooden dowels. (You get a smoother opening movement.)

Rods are superior to coat hanger cuts, just because you don;t get that paint flaking off issue, unless you have non painted coat hangers.
By Peaugh
Gareee wrote:If you look at JT001's thread, you can see how the doors are attached. there are pins put in the "arms" at either end of the doors, and those fit into holes in the front angled parts, and the two raised trap door cubes. No need for additional hinges at all.

I'll just use cuts off a rod or coat hanger for those pins, since I prefer metal for them instead of wooden dowels. (You get a smoother opening movement.)

Rods are superior to coat hanger cuts, just because you don;t get that paint flaking off issue, unless you have non painted coat hangers.

Yeah, I said hinges, but what you just described is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing. Glad to see I was right.
By Gareee
Odds are we'll be tackling that today.. the main bodies are already glued, the handles are done and painted, and the bases with bearings are done as well.

I hope to get the tops n doors done today on both packs.. but its 45 outside right now.. 8(
:crunch:

You've earned it!

Looks great Peaugh, well done!

As far as weight goes there's really no way to lighten a resin kit unless it's made without removing some of the inner cartridge material (remove whats not seen from outside) other than that...foancore or styrene? However they would not be as durable and you're right it does feel real. I wore mine for 8 hrs at the last Con I went to and never even noticed it was there. Holster supports it perfectly.
By tk7209
Personally I like the weight, It feels and looks more realistic, the way it pulls you belt down.

As for picking it up with the handle, I've avoided that so far. it's a lot of weight for a resin handle to take and it is after all, a prop.

Great kit though, easy to put together and looks great when finished.
By Peaugh
irricanian wrote::crunch:

You've earned it!

Looks great Peaugh, well done!

As far as weight goes there's really no way to lighten a resin kit unless it's made without removing some of the inner cartridge material (remove whats not seen from outside) other than that...foancore or styrene? However they would not be as durable and you're right it does feel real. I wore mine for 8 hrs at the last Con I went to and never even noticed it was there. Holster supports it perfectly.

My first Crunch! Woohoo!

Yeah, the kit is outstanding. I pretty much spent every free moment over three days putting it together. And I spent the last half of yesterday carrying it around and holding it up and telling my family they had a class-5 free-roaming vapor. :lol: I love the weight, myself. Like I said, it feels real and it's not noticeable at all on the belt. The holster takes a lot of the weight in the same way the ALICE frame supports the Proton Pack. Just all around awesome. Thanks for making these available, Colin. Can't wait for the pedal and gun bits to get here this week! :cool:
As for the weight on the handle, I find that if you a) use a wood screw and glue when you put the two together and b) hold the handle with your index finger hooked over the end resting on the square down tube it takes the strain off the round handle and distributes the weight a little better than having it all rest on the round handle and stressing on the joint.

It's great to see these kits going together so well, I only wish I had more time to get more out before Halloween :(
Ah well, there's always post-Halloween.
By Peaugh
nick-a-tron wrote:fantastic build up Peaugh! and of course it helps that Colins trap kits are awsome!
Thanks! Most of the props really should go to Colin. It turned out this well because I was working with a great kit. It's almost impossible to screw up, god knows I tried!
By neo_virus
Firstly thanks for all the great responses and comments guys :D Sorry for the slow replies, been with the other half all weekend (who also fully supports and loves the trap :cool: )
Peaugh wrote:What do you plan on using for hinges to attach the doors? I've got plenty of woodscrews, but nothing I can think of for trap hinges. Maybe bits of a thick wire coathanger?
This maybe a bit redundant now seeing as you have finished your trap, but I got some brass pins that will be going into the ears and some screws that will be going in the other end (leaving a wider hole on the cardridge end to let them open ok.

What diametre rod did you use Peaugh for the doors?

Also your trap looks awesome, can't wait to see mine come out like yours has! With your doors did you sand away at the edge to give it that indent in the middle? Also how did you secure the switch and hose connector to the battery box? My current planned method is to drill out a hole, glue with epoxy and use filler/putty to support that area.

Here you've earned it :D once again congrats on the trap!
tk7209 wrote:Personally I like the weight, It feels and looks more realistic, the way it pulls you belt down.

As for picking it up with the handle, I've avoided that so far. it's a lot of weight for a resin handle to take and it is after all, a prop.

Great kit though, easy to put together and looks great when finished.
Yeah, i'm not saying I dislike the weight. It really helps bring it to life. I was just a little concerned as to hanging it off my belt and holding it by the handle.
Cous3 wrote:Looking great Sean, I like the look of those resin traps, all the main parts ready to assemble.

Keep us updated mate.

Keith
Cheers Keith!

Yeah they are really great kits, the fact that all the main parts were cut is one of the main reasons I got it. That and all the extra parts I would have had to get from Irricanian anyways, just saved alot of pain and frustration.

No worries, will prob spend an evening or two this week working on it. Trying to balance my time between several things is a pain!
irricanian wrote:As for the weight on the handle, I find that if you a) use a wood screw and glue when you put the two together and b) hold the handle with your index finger hooked over the end resting on the square down tube it takes the strain off the round handle and distributes the weight a little better than having it all rest on the round handle and stressing on the joint.

It's great to see these kits going together so well, I only wish I had more time to get more out before Halloween :(
Ah well, there's always post-Halloween.
Yeah, currently there is a fairly long would screw going through the handle into the post, just need to glue it down when I am ready. Also that is exactly how I have been holding it.

Many thanks for your answers in response to my above questions, I just need to get hold of one of those screwdrivers now! Really good to hear your holster supports it, that has eased my concerns somewhat too!
Peaugh wrote:
nick-a-tron wrote:fantastic build up Peaugh! and of course it helps that Colins trap kits are awsome!
Thanks! Most of the props really should go to Colin. It turned out this well because I was working with a great kit. It's almost impossible to screw up, god knows I tried!
Just want to echo what both Nick and Peaugh (and everybody else I imagine) have said here. Your kits are absolutly fantastic. As is your after sales service and communication, said this countless times now but thanks for a wonderful and quality service!

If all goes well expect to see some small updates this week. Will hopefully get the front aluminium panel drilled and switches attached. Might even get the battery box drilled out ready to fit the switch, light and conenctor.

Thanks for viewing!

Sean
By Peaugh
neo_virus wrote:
What diametre rod did you use Peaugh for the doors?

Also your trap looks awesome, can't wait to see mine come out like yours has! With your doors did you sand away at the edge to give it that indent in the middle? Also how did you secure the switch and hose connector to the battery box? My current planned method is to drill out a hole, glue with epoxy and use filler/putty to support that area.

Here you've earned it :D once again congrats on the trap!
I didn't actually give the doors the indent, just let them bump right up on each other. As for the door rods, I just used bit of a sturdy wire coat hanger as Gareee and I talked about earlier in the thread. I don't have the diameter measurement, I just went with it. AS for the switch and hose connector, that's exactly what I did. I drilled the hole for the switch just a TAD bigger than the switch post, used the nut provided to screw it into place and then some epoxy to hold it steady. The hose connector I drill a 1/4" hole, which was just a teensy bit too small, a little epoxy, and it holds the connector tight after I screwed it in. Absolutely NO issues holding it by the cable like in the movies:

By neo_virus
Loving the outfith Peaugh! Can't fault it, it looks top class!

Regarding mine, I drilled out the 3 holes on the battery box then moved onto figuring out the battery box light and what I am going to to about the forward indicator lights.

For the battery box light I got it to work using the following 'diagram' (read MS Paint drawing).

After sending an email off to a friend who is an electrician he linked me to this electronics kit on Maplin (UK electronics chain)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22559

It seems you are able to replace the lights for different colours and reduce the amount of them you use! So hoping to pick one of these kits tonight and have a play about with it.

Hopefully once I've sorted these bits out I will be able to move onto finally assembly/attachment. Also need to pick up one of them Robertson screwdrivers Irricanian mentioned, so I get the wheels attached.

Will let you guys know how that kit goes, but it sounds like a cheap and effective way of adding a animated forward indicator light.
By Gareee
I'd be interested in seeing how that light functions as well.
Whats your issue with attaching the wheels?
You guys did really well on that kit, and awesome job Colin for offering such a great trap kit looks like ill have to be investing in one of them not to far down the line hope you still will be offering them.

Chris
By Cous3
Sean.........like those Maplin LEDs, only problem I see is extending the wires from the circuit board to allow the LEDs to sit in the forward indicator compartment?

If I get time I'll show you what I've used ;0)

Keith
By neo_virus
Gareee wrote:I'd be interested in seeing how that light functions as well.
Whats your issue with attaching the wheels?
Aye, I really hope it does work! Can't think of what else to do at the moment. Regarding the wheels, I don't have the Robertson screwdriver, so will need to purchase one off eBay as they seem to be somewhat unavailable in the UK :(
Cous3 wrote:Sean.........like those Maplin LEDs, only problem I see is extending the wires from the circuit board to allow the LEDs to sit in the forward indicator compartment?

If I get time I'll show you what I've used ;0)

Keith
Cheers Keith, unfortuntly they were out of stock so I had to put an order in for one so should get it early next week. Curiously what kind of problems do you think you would get by extending the LEDs with wire?

Will have to let you know how the kit goes, but would still be interested as to what you have done :D

Regarding the progress of the trap, haven't been able to get much done so far. Ended up going to the cinema yesterday and tonight (Zombieland is awesome by the way!), however I figured the light out so that just needs to be soldered together. Apart from that the whole outer shell is pretty much assembled apart from the base and wheels. Once I get those attached that section will be ready for some glue and filler! I am also going to try and drill the holes out for the front plate knobs tomorrow lunchtime too.

Thanks all for viewing
Sean
By Gareee
I don't understand what your problem adding wheels is. I used roller blade bearings, and just used wood screws to mount them on square wood axels. I have some pics in the thread listed in my sig.
By neo_virus
Gareee wrote:I don't understand what your problem adding wheels is. I used roller blade bearings, and just used wood screws to mount them on square wood axels. I have some pics in the thread listed in my sig.
Sorry to confuse you! Basically the kit I got from Irricanian has skate bearings but instead of wood screws he included some other type of screw with a square head.

I'm going to have a route through the screws I have and see what I can do, if not i'll just get one of them screwdrivers :)

Hope this clears up some of the confusion!

Sean
By Gareee
Ah.. those are uncommon here as well. Look for them in car tool locations, and recreational vehicle locations.

Or just replace them with some wood screws the same size.. ;)

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]