Return to Home Page - Ghostbusters Fans
    


View new posts | View your posts GB:TVG FAST TRAP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 1:16 pm 
Online
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: June 17th, 2006, 7:27 pm
Posts: 4528
Location: Denver, Colorado
Karma: 331
That air filter seems MASSIVELY outsized....

_________________
Image
You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 4:13 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2005, 5:22 am
Posts: 1791
Location: Plano, TX
Karma: 2
They have smaller ones of the same shape in the auto department at walmart

_________________
Image


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 7:14 am 
Offline
Banned

Joined: June 20th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Posts: 112
Karma: 0
Boomerjinks wrote:
That air filter seems MASSIVELY outsized....


Agreed. Before I read that, I did a double take on both traps by scrolling up and down, so I'm not the only one. It seriously needs to be like, half the size it is now.

... but I wonder how the hell a loaded trap like that would ever fit inside the insertion slot of the CU, unless the receiver was somehow modified. Whatever...


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 24th, 2011, 10:41 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
Sorry for the wait guys, life got in the way of this project.

There's been a slight detour. Because the Matty trap already has the electrical stuff handled I'll be putting the attachments on one of those traps for now. Then finish this trap second for "smoking" action!

There will be some surprises down the road too if things pan out! :-D


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 4:48 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
Air filter cut down to size. :wink:

Image


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 9:10 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: March 18th, 2002, 5:00 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Norristown, PA
Karma: 392
Seems a tad on the large side to me...

_________________
Jack Doud
http://www.bloody-plastic.com/costumes.html

My Oddball props:
Statue of Liberty Controller, Slime Scoop, Keymaster Colander Helmet, KUD Meter.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 12:31 am 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
Thanks. I already cut down the black filter part, but taking a look at it again and at the reference photos the cylindar part can be taken in some more. That'll give me more breathing space for the vaccuum that will go next to it too.
Image

Image

Image


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 12:41 am 
Offline
Banned

Joined: May 8th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Flaw-duh
Karma: 275
it looks too thick too.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 7:32 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: June 22nd, 2009, 9:53 pm
Posts: 1815
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Karma: 20
Well its still looking pretty cool.

_________________
-Andy


FunkPunkTwang: congratulations xtrmn8r17! you get the gold star of the day!
AJ_Quick: oh my god. xtrmn8r17 for the win.



(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 9:06 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
ProtonCharger wrote:
it looks too thick too.


The photos can be misleading. The cylinder looks giant in pics until you place parts over it.

Image

In the end you only see the top of it.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 9:26 pm 
Offline
Banned

Joined: May 8th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Flaw-duh
Karma: 275
i disagree. you can see alot of the side of the trap in the reference photo, not in your physical one because the thick pipes cover that space. also, it's not even in the correct place, it's supposed to be lower on the side of the trap. ive spent months looking at a ton of video game stills while modeling them for my game pack, i know what im talking about.

also, why are you putting your name in your photos?


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 11:30 am 
Offline
Banned

Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 5:52 pm
Posts: 635
Location: ALABAMA
Karma: 1
I have to disagree the pipe looks just a few mm short of being half scale to the side of the trap, i would says it slightly too large and i mean maybe 1/16 of a inch if that.

Overall i think it looks great i wouldnt mind doing this to one of my traps, what do you plan for the battery box bargraph?


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 12:10 pm 
Offline
Banned

Joined: May 8th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Flaw-duh
Karma: 275
1/16 less is is still too big.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 2:48 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: June 21st, 2008, 8:27 pm
Posts: 1859
Location: Newcastle, NEW SOUTH WALES
Karma: 9
From reference pics I've collected. I would say the 'black cone' should extrude half its length past the front of the trap. From your side shot there it looks to extrude the full length.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

_________________
Hey, that kangaroo just took my ball.
Image

Facebook
Photobucket


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 6:51 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: March 18th, 2002, 5:00 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Norristown, PA
Karma: 392
I was being sarcastic in my post but wasn't sure how serious Red Virtue was being with his. I think it's entirely too big, almost twice the size it should be.

ImageImageImageImage

_________________
Jack Doud
http://www.bloody-plastic.com/costumes.html

My Oddball props:
Statue of Liberty Controller, Slime Scoop, Keymaster Colander Helmet, KUD Meter.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: [Deleted]
PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:48 pm 
Banned

Joined: May 8th, 2009, 1:05 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Flaw-duh
Karma: 275
PostThis post was deleted by jackdoud on November 27th, 2011, 8:50 pm.
Reason: at least it was approved for a few seconds
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 3:34 am 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
The VG trap has different dimensions then the Matty trap.

Charlie Richter wrote:
From reference pics I've collected. I would say the 'black cone' should extrude half its length past the front of the trap. From your side shot there it looks to extrude the full length.
Sent from my GT-I9100T


Yeah I see that too. one of the reasons for that is because the VG Trap is bigger then the Film Traps, and the Film Traps are larger then the Matty Trap. The matty Trap is short. For example lets look at the area we've been focusing on.
First lets look at the VG Trap.

Image
The VGT has lots of space between the plate and the end of the trap (highlighted in green).

Image
The Matty Trap has almost no space between the plate and the end of the trap.

So one of the reasons the Filter as a whole looks big is because there is less space on the Matty Trap, and because there is less space something that would look normal next to a VG Trap may look large next to a Matty Trap. Because of the inexactness of the two traps there are going to be some proportions looking "off".

The second reason there are going to be discrepancies is because no one has held a physical hero GBtVG Trap. It's all stuff that has to be observed and figured out. And because no one is able to hold it and physically measure it there is going to be room for opinion and perspective.

Final reason is as far as I know this is the first Fast Trap Build on the site. (Or at least that was the case when I started this thread. Someone else could have started one during my absence.) I have a lot to figure out. Besides proportions I gotta figure out what parts to use, what parts actually exist, and what parts have to be made by scratch. I no doubt believe there are going to be bigger and better VG Fast Traps out there down the road and I'm excited to see what other members do. But for now all I can do is give it a shot and share the process. Someone will learn from my good and bad choices and grow from it. And I don't mind. I made my PDS Proton Pack with no experience and it turned out fine. Others have made improvements since then I'm sure of it.


Now this isn't exact and I'm not claiming it to be on any level. But here is a rough illustration to give a general (not precise) idea of where I believe the discrepancies in this area of the trap are.

Image
The green is where the matty trap reaches. The Yellowish is where the movie trap reaches. The Red is roughly where I presume the VG Trap reaches. Of coarse this isn't exact. I didn't even put in straight lines (oh how I miss photoshop right now). But this just gives a visual of where I'm coming from. I realize the red can use some give or take but you get it.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 8:42 am 
Offline
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: March 18th, 2002, 5:00 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Norristown, PA
Karma: 392
RedVirtue wrote:
one of the reasons for that is because the VG Trap is bigger then the Film Traps, and the Film Traps are larger then the Matty Trap.


The matty trap is the same size as the film traps:

Image
Matty, Scratchbuilt, Screen-used Stunt

You have a point about the length past the front but your overall diameter is too big in relation to the trap. There's not enough space to put the other 2 main pieces of the fast trap on without overcrowing the side at that size.

_________________
Jack Doud
http://www.bloody-plastic.com/costumes.html

My Oddball props:
Statue of Liberty Controller, Slime Scoop, Keymaster Colander Helmet, KUD Meter.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 4:42 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
Oh, my Crix trap is a little longer then my Matty. So I thought the matty was just barely smaller. The VG Trap is still longer though. Oh well, onward to some prop making. :lol:

jackdoud wrote:
You have a point about the length past the front but your overall diameter is too big in relation to the trap. There's not enough space to put the other 2 main pieces of the fast trap on without overcrowing the side at that size.

Noted. :wink:


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 5:45 am 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
Image

While I consider if and what I might change on the Filter, let's move to the "Pressure Dial" for now.

Here is how it looks completed on the trap.

Image

Image

Image

Image


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 2:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: January 10th, 2002, 5:00 pm
Posts: 8857
Location: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Karma: 691
It look like the pressure dial might vw a little too tall, the screenshots make it's highest point be about mid-way up the Trap handle, with a thumb's clearance between the underside of the cap and the fin on the side of the Trap. It also looks like the cap nut should be higher, with less than a centimeter clearance from the recessed rim in the main body of the dial.

_________________
"We have the tools, we have the talents."


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 4:57 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
To me it looks like it comes up to just under the elbow or bend of the handle. The cap nut does appear low though, and I was observing that when I was putting the pictures up this morning. I was judging where to put the cap nut in relative to the placement of the part to the right of it. The cap nut sits just below that. But it appears I placed that part a little too low as well.

Image

Image


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 9:31 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2009, 1:16 am
Posts: 1256
Location: Chino, CA
Karma: 10
Time for a much needed quick update. Here is the new pump. Cap nut is raised a bit and a replacement part is used to the right of it.

Image
I'm not modifying it again. :-P Next up will be the filter. Likely after the new year.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GB:TVG FAST TRAP
PostPosted: August 17th, 2014, 8:17 pm 
Offline
Ghosthead

Joined: October 31st, 2013, 2:09 am
Posts: 83
Karma: 1
Bennyboombatz wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:
That air filter seems MASSIVELY outsized....


Agreed. Before I read that, I did a double take on both traps by scrolling up and down, so I'm not the only one. It seriously needs to be like, half the size it is now.

... but I wonder how the hell a loaded trap like that would ever fit inside the insertion slot of the CU, unless the receiver was somehow modified. Whatever...


In the game the COMPLETELY went and re did the Containment Unit. We never actually see it emptying a cartridge but I would assume that since they remade the containment door that it would accommodate the new trap dimensions.


(+0)
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Share On: Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on MySpace MySpace Share on Delicious Delicious Share on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan AKA, Full-Roaming-Vapor, timecatalyst, v137a, xrobva and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
 
© 1998-2014 Ghostbusters Fans & Ghostbusters Prop Archive - Created and Written by AJ Quick
"Ghostbusters" and "Ghost-Design" are registered Trademarks of Columbia Pictures Industries Inc.
Send Ghostbusters Fans an Email - webmaster@gbfans.com - The Largest FIRST Robotics Archive - Jurassic Jeep - 65 Million Years in the Making - A. Quick CNC - 3 Axis Hobby CNC Routers