By goldenhawk
I intend to get one. However, Matty seems to have neglected a way to hook the trap onto the belt. More specifically, onto MMM trap holster. I know it's early, but has anyone started on thinking how to modify the trap's battery cover, dixie cup bracket or both.
By goldenhawk
jackdoud wrote:Kinda hard to do without one to look at in person.
Well, looking at the numerous videos of this trap shows that the battery well and cover are hanging low. Simply attaching the dixie cup bracket to the battery cover will not allow the trap to roll on the ground. Maybe Matty will figure out something.
By Gareee
Honestly, our traps we made roll on the ground, and in 2 years, you want to know how many times we've done that? Once, when I built them.

Just like a movie prop, you could have the hanger on for wear, and remove it if you want to shoot a short film.

Thats why they always make multiple props.. in many cases, features in real life are mutually exclusive. Just use that thinking on the Matty trap, instead of thinking it has to always do everything.
By FeinDTacticS
I am with Gareee on this one. If I had purchase this Mattel trap I would only play with it. I would not be my rough and tough costume piece. Props are not meant to do everything.

On the other hand getting this prop to latch on to a dixie or MMM holster would require some serious modification. Unless you are using an ultra strong adhesive you will have to drill into the prop which means taking it apart to make sure you dont drill into something critical or electronic.

IMO
I personally would not want to wear this trap with my costume because of how plastic it comes off... it needs a desperate professional repaint and weathering once it gets into someones home..
By AKluthe
FeinDTacticS wrote:I am with Gareee on this one. If I had purchase this Mattel trap I would only play with it. I would not be my rough and tough costume piece. Props are not meant to do everything.

On the other hand getting this prop to latch on to a dixie or MMM holster would require some serious modification. Unless you are using an ultra strong adhesive you will have to drill into the prop which means taking it apart to make sure you dont drill into something critical or electronic.

IMO
I personally would not want to wear this trap with my costume because of how plastic it comes off... it needs a desperate professional repaint and weathering once it gets into someones home..
Actually, it's something I've been thinking about...if one could manufacture a new, metal battery door with a hook welded on (or an equally strong material with a hook screwed on), you could attach a hook without modifying the original piece. There's still a few problems with this, though...chiefly, how many screws hold the door in place (if any) and if that would be strong enough to keep it safely secured to a holster (probably not). Also, attaching a hook to the battery door as-is would likely interfere with the wheels and rolling features.
By Kingpin
The photos of the Trap reveal one screw holding the door closed (it probably has a pair of tabs on the other end like a lot of battery covers have).
By Gareee
A repaint is easy. Putting it back together after it smashes to the floor is not. I can't decide how many we really want, because we already have durable wearable traps. I'm not sure I want to take these to events or cons.
By FeinDTacticS
Exactly. Putting one of these Mattel traps back together again after a unfortunate mishap at a convention would piss me off especially knowing how Mattel does not really restock that soon after selling out (PKE meter). I would only use this Matty trap as a play thing in my house to mess around with and not to wear and smack into everything I do not give myself enough room for (especially NYC subway turnstyles). I already have my Matty PKE meter on my belt and I am always worried that one good knock will send it to the concrete with horrible results.. I dont want to worry about two delicate props while im running around the city trying to look cool
By Gareee
I'm cool with the pke, since the sears holsters hold it well into place. Teamhair used the hell out of it during dragoncon's parade, and I'm sure it'll end up being less fragile than the trap will be.

Plus the trap if on your belt it is going to be on your hip which is going to be bumped all the time in close quarters.
By DarkSpectre
I've actually been mulling over this for a few weeks now. While I do feel that Matty has done an outstanding job with the trap, I just feel like I'd be wasting money on it. I wouldn't feel comfortable mounting it to my belt to wear to cons/Halloween/etc. considering it doesn't have any sort of mounting hardware and its plastic. Secondly, with all it's features when would you have a decent enough opportunity/venue to show them off? I can see it sitting on a GB charity event table or something but still. Thirdly, the trap would ultimately become a display piece to impress friends and even then it would be a novelty for about 5 mins. Now as Gareee pointed out it would be a pretty decent prop for a fan film or what have you but ultimately I think I'm going to pass on it. I can't justify spending 120+ dollars on something that will undoubtedly collect dust on a display shelf. The PKE was another story as its small, more affordable, and can slide into a 7 dollar holster. Goggles, if made, would be also be more practical since they can be worn.
By Raynor105
I was thinking about how to modify the trap to be held on a trap holster and it hit me. Maybe use something like this on your holster: http://images.rockler.com/rockler/image ... 01-200.jpg (maybe two or three of those, or maybe just one longer one) and some sheet joining fastener attached to the trap: http://catalog.pemnet.com/ImgSmall/SKCF.jpg The only thing you would need is some locking device, or a locking key hole fastener to keep the trap from sliding out.
By BigJon
I actually can see lots of opportunity to use and show off a working trap. For the folks buying it just to display at home...why not just buy a static prop? For the folks worried about wearing it...you'll wear a $300+ pack on your back but not a $120 item on your waist?
By ProtonCharger
im just as excited about this thing that i was the first time i saw it. if im scheduled to work that day, or i have class: im ditching just to buy this thing.
By DarkSpectre
BigJon wrote:I actually can see lots of opportunity to use and show off a working trap. For the folks buying it just to display at home...why not just buy a static prop? For the folks worried about wearing it...you'll wear a $300+ pack on your back but not a $120 item on your waist?
Little bit of a difference, Jon. A pack is secured with shoulder straps and a waist strap. This however has to be modified for use on your belt. Also my stance on purchasing one has changed since I'm bringing in more money now. I'll probably be buying one. I'm just waiting for the fallout when they get knocked off people's belts and shatter. Not saying that cant happen with a pack, I've seen it happen. But there is a possibility of it.
By Ricky
you've seen a pack fall down from someone's back??? O.o!!!
By DarkSpectre
Yeah...mine. I was shooting a fan film and the shoulder straps slipped out of the Alice frame. I managed to catch it before it hit the ground. I've also seen a proton get pulled off a pack by a slimeblower and smash into a hundred pieces as well. And the slimeblower guy was simply trying to get by. Convention floors are pretty unforgiving. Which is why I'm on the fence on whether or not I want to wear it on my belt. Rebuilding a pack is one thing but once these babies are sold out, it may not be easy to replace.
By goldenhawk
parksdesign wrote:They couldn't even label that trap properly. Why not just build your own. It would probably be much more accurate and then hang from your belt as well.
I have built a screen accurate stunt trap to wear with my costume. But I would consider the Matty trap an upgrade since it does work like the traps in the movies. I'm thinking that a new metal battery cover with the bracket or hook would work since metal is a lot stronger than plastic. The new metal cover would have longer tabs and probably a larger screw to secure it to the trap. The trick is finding what bracket or clip to use. I wish I had the Matty trap in hand to begin work on the new battery cover.
By Videobob
I've been happy with the PKE they made, so I think this trap will be pretty nice.
I can't wait to get one!
I wonder how long it will take for them to step up to the big props, like a Proton Pack!!
By BigJon
Well, I'm planning to strike fear into the hearts of all those wary of wearing theirs on their belt. Depending, of course, on what options are available for attaching them, I know on the "standard" trap holster there is a v-hook AND a strap that goes around the trap (that many don't bother to install). I'm planning on using both.
By zeta otaku
I'm going to be modifying my holster. Instead of a V-hook and the strap, I'm removing the v-hook and I'll have another strap that will sling down around the front of the trap and the standard strap that goes around the doors.
By Shaun Popa
i agree with zeta i think modifying the holster is the way to go. personally another strap that goes up and over the top of the trap and attatch an L bracket to basically be a shelf that the trap would rest on.
By BigJon
Shaun Popa wrote:i agree with zeta i think modifying the holster is the way to go. personally another strap that goes up and over the top of the trap and attatch an L bracket to basically be a shelf that the trap would rest on.
Now that's an interesting idea. Attach maybe two L-brackets at the bottom of the holster to act as a shelf and then use straps across the trap body to hold it in place. Hmmm...
By Donkey8012
If the trap is as light as it appears to be, why wouldn't velcro work? Couldn't you just put a square of velcro on the battery door (where the V-hook would be) and a square on the holster?
By Shaun Popa
velcro is a method but if you like pulling the trap out for pictures etc the velcro would make it more pita then necessary. the shelf and extra strap is simple secure and a relatively cheap and easy fix.
By slimershomie
What if you just cut a square a little larger then the v hook then attach the v hook to said plate and velcro to the back of the plate and velcro to the bottom of the trap that way you can velcro the trap without hurting those beautiful MMM holsters.
By BigJon
I don't think I'll be going the route of velcro. I remember I used to have a velcro wallet back in elemantary school, then when middle school came around the shame I felt every time I had to open the thing to pay for lunch and everyone would stare at me while they held their leather wallets. *RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*
By MandoMan
Plus I personally wouldn't trust velcro AT ALL to hold the trap up. Velcro will fail when you least expect it. I think a modified holster with a couple L brackets at the bottom plus the strap would be a great way to secure it.
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]