By wince33
Didn’t really want to post up up a half finished build but I'm encountering a dimension problem, Maybe you guys could help, I’m using the Venkman71 plans ( i just found the JT001 templates and I seem to line up)

But my cartridge seem off. I mocked up one in cardboard and it seems to short? Shouldn’t it stand out from the front of the trap a bit? I see I need to thicken the back of the outer trap wall to .5",

Am I missing something?

By Kingpin
Someone with more expertese in Traps will undoubtedly chime in later, but from the pictures posted, it doesn't appear to be shorter than it should be, I took a look at some of the Stunt Trap reference images and the end of the Cartridge appears to line up with the ends of the Trap sides, like yours will when pushed fully into the Trap casing.
By wince33
jackdoud wrote:
wince33 wrote:Good point about the stunt trap, I may have to go that way, but I was aiming for a hero look
Which movie? Venkman71's plans are for a GB2 trap.

That's what I missed, I guess I can just extend out the box to get that GB1 profile :sigh:
By wince33
I was digging around in the shop today and found this aluminum sheeting, we used on a job awhile ago. Is it to thin to use for the side plates on a trap?

By Nicholszz
Better then I could build... I built one out of Cardboard!?
Don't think I posted pictures... Not sure where that even went...
wince33 wrote:I was digging around in the shop today and found this aluminum sheeting, we used on a job awhile ago. Is it to thin to use for the side plates on a trap?

I think that should be fine? Maybe just wrap it around a piece of wood.
Just remember to bend the edges after you cut them. Sharp things are BAD!
Says the exacto knife plowing into my hand last year, 6 stitches later!
YAY!
By irricanian
If you are going to use the sheeting I would recommend you cut the pieces 1/2" larger than the plans call for and bend the edges so you are left with a dull edge. To do this just mark it , score it lightly on the back side and bend it over using another straight piece as a brake. You can wedge out the corners so it folds back nicely. That sheeting is as sharp as a scalpel so be careful.

Another cheap alternative is plastic sign styrene, you can get them at dollar stores and just paint them silver.
By wince33
Nicholszz wrote:I think that should be fine? Maybe just wrap it around a piece of wood.
Just remember to bend the edges after you cut them. Sharp things are BAD!
Says the exacto knife plowing into my hand last year, 6 stitches later!
YAY!
Not a bad idea, wrapping it around some wood, not the stitches..

Im going to check in with my brotherIL he runs a metal shop, not sure how much aluminum he works with, as he does a lot of steel work with his plasma table.

Got the handle put together (1/2" EMT should weather good) and started fabricating the cartridge box

By wince33
A little update, got far enought I wanted to get some primer on to see how much more work I need on the exposed wood grain. Im not happy with the front indiactor so im going to rebuild it

In primer, need some more putty and sanding to fill in some of the exposed grain

By wince33
First - Thanks for the compliments guys

First the good I have wheels

Second the bad - "Arrggg" the stupid tabs split out while I was setting the door hinges

So starting over for me, I have some wood that I used for the doors that should work better than the scrap oak trim I found. Wish me luck.. No more work for now time to go coach my daughters 3rd grade Y B-ball..
By wince33
So today at work I had to demo an old fire alarm control panel and this part literally fell into my lap.

Its not an ITT relay, but very close. I wasn’t planning on building a trap pedal but I think I have to now right?

and I got my hinge tabs fixed better than before.

By wince33
Warrenzo wrote:Excellent looking trap there mate, is it a Hero or Stunt version??
Thanks, its based on the venkman71 plans, i believe that is a gb2 stunt, but I'm putting the gb1 knobs and decoration, hence the red "hot dogs". If you mean construction materials, it's pretty solidly built entirely from 1/8" plywood and some poplar piece for the doors. I wouldn't want to hang it from my belt.
By wince33
I got my resin trap knobs in, any advice for replicating the shiny metal disk on the surface?

Edit to add:

Nevermind figured it out - metalic paper and a paper punch.

still a few small details to clean up and Ill get some nice pics with a real camera.

By gbrob
Great work man. Need to get my ass in gear and get one done finally.
By wince33
nick-a-tron wrote:Thats a damn fine trap! :crunch:
Thanks for the Crunch Bar! This has turned out to be the best prop replica in my small collection. Thanks to you guys for sharing such a great resource! :crunch:
By wince33
Here are some better quality pics of the trap. Now I've got my eye on a set of goggles.
Side view
Side View
Front View
A little imagination on the inside
Open Doors

Thanks for looking!

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]