By jackdoud
With Halloween fast approaching I thought it'd be fun to give myself a little challenge. I will attempt to scratchbuild a trap in a day. If sucessful I hope it will show some of the new people that quality props can be made in time for Halloween and kick some of the old guard in their duff to get up and make something. :walterpeck:

Today is my shop/prep day to gather all the materials I'll need for the build tomorrow. I'll be making the trap out of foamcore and styrene just like my first trap. unlike that one though I'll be using styrene instead of aluminum for the side plates and all resin knobs. This will be a "build for paint" project so don't expect a finished trap at the end of the day, just one ready to be painted before final assembly.

I already have much of the material needed, just have to pick up a few more things. The build will start around 9am EST tomorrow morning and run until it's done or 12am, whichever comes first.
By jackdoud
Ok, I think I have all the materials:

Here's a breakdown:
2'x4' sheet of .04 white styrene. ~$5
20"x30" sheet of 3/16" foamcore. $3.17
.75" square wood stock. $2.45
.75" round wood stock $2.45
1/2" styrene tube. $2.89
Package of 6, #8 1.5" machine screws w/ nuts. $1.18
Package of 10, #6 1.5" wood screws. $1.18
16, 4-40 socket head screws. ~$1.60
12, 6-32 socket head screws. ~$1.20
12 6-32 button head screws. ~$1.20
Locktite professional superglue. $5.47
Krazy glue 2-pack. $1.77
Elmers wood filler. $2.98
Radioshack red indicator. $2.69
Radioshack toggle switch. $3.19
Resin knobs, resistor and vector plate. ~$8

Total is around $46.50. Some parts I'm using are leftovers from previous projects. I get my styrene at a local supplier in 4'x8' sheets for about $1.25 a square foot. If you can't find a local supplier there's a seller on ebay that has a set of two sheets of black styrene that should enough for a trap for about $14 shipped. The socket head and button heads I ordered online in boxes of 100, if you can find them locally they will be more expensive. I'm using the inaccurate Radioshack red indicators, AJ has the correct CML lenses in the shop for about the same price. I'm also skipping the wheels and fosters quick connector for the time being.
By renny310
What kind of shop deals with the styrene sheets jack?
By jackdoud
renny310 wrote:What kind of shop deals with the styrene sheets jack?
The place I get it from is called Northeast Plastic. Looking for either "plastic supply" or "polymer supply" should get you in the right direction. Most places do ship but that'll drive the cost up especially for small orders. I pick it up in person so it's just the cost of gas.
By renny310
Alright thanks jack I have been having problems finding it here in my town
By jackdoud
slimershomie wrote:So watching this too bad its not live..
Honestly that would probably be a little boring.

A bit over 2 hours in (I'm keeping a timer of actual work-time) and I've got the outter shell together and the handle post attached:

Gonna try and get the two base plates built before lunch.
By jackdoud
caitlindevi wrote:I've been doing something very similar but with the full pack...currently on day 4 for me and the main pack is almost finished
Hmm.... "Pack in a Week Challenge"? :mrgreen:

5 hours in and the cartridge is together:

Moving on the the battery box.
By renny310
clocks ticking.... tick..... tock..... lol looking good wish I had the time to try to do this challenge too......
By renny310
I gotta say.... this is very impressing to see this done in such short time.....
FatBoi liked this

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]