Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
From a book I highly recommend, It Came From Bob's Basement, Bob Burns writes:

In 1973 I mentioned to Rick [Baker] that I'd like to overhaul [my gorilla suit] Kogar, and he volunteered to do a new headpiece that reflected the direction I wanted to go. He was beginning a lifelong fascination with gorillas that would culminate in his incredible creations for films like the 1976 remake of King Kong, Greystoke, Gorillas in the Mist, and [the 1998 remake of] Mighty Joe Young.

The finished product was perfect. Where Kogar promised menace, Rick's creation was mischievous and friendly in a childlike way. It was a face designed to instill chuckles rather than fear. [My wife] Kathy and Rick also revamped the suit, and Kogar II was born.

It wasn't long before my new simian partner would get his lucky break. While attending a night course on television production, a colleague of mine from CBS struck up a conversation with guest lecturer and televsion producer Lou Scheimer.

"Oh my God, what a day!" he moaned, head in hands. "We've got this show with Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch, and we had a guy lined up to star as the gorilla sidekick, Tracy. But at the last minute this guy's agent started jerking us around, and all of the replacements we've looked at are pitiful. We might have to cancel the whole show." My friend told Lou his troubles were over.

Scheimer had me in his office the very next morning for an audition in front of various writers and directors for the series. I could see an immediate positive reaction to my suit. Mark Richards, the creator and writer of the show, filled me in on the role.

"The character is called Tracy the gorilla," he said. "He's a real gorilla, but he'd love to be a human. He's restricted insofar as he can't talk, but through gestures and pantomime he can emulate humans." Then he asked, "If you were Tracy, what would you do?"

I thought for a moment as all eyes in the room studied me. I walked over to a nearby desk, picked up a copy of Variety, and sat down, legs crossed, to read it. They all said, "There's Tracy the gorilla!"

Three days later I was doing Filmation's "Ghost Busters" with the legendary duo of Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker. They were, of course, very comfortable together after years of honing their act on "F-Troop". As the rookie and odd man out, I was a bit worried. I'd heard Forrest, who was known to one and all as "Tuck", could be pretty gruff. On the first day of rehearsals I did all of my schtick as Tracy, but I throttled back noticeably when we actually started to shoot.

The director, Norm Abbott (nephew of Abbott and Costello's Bud Abbott), called a break and took me aside. "Bob, you were doing great stuff during the rehearsals, but when the camera rolls you're not giving me the broad action I need."

It was clear to me what was holding me back. "Norm," I said, "I've got a problem. I'm worried about Tuck and Larry."

He responded, "Man, you better take care of it because we've got fifteen shows to do!"

I screwed up my courage and approached Larry and Tuck. "Guys, can I talk to you for a minute? I've got a problem."

Tuck fixed me with a sinister glare and said, "What could possibly be your problem?"

At that point, had there been a shovel handy I would have dug and crawled into a hole in the ground. I pressed ahead, however. "Norm's telling me that I'm not doing the outrageous schtick he wants, and, frankly, I'm concerned about offending you guys by upstaging you. You're the stars, I'm just the new guy in the gorilla suit."

Tuck's stern expression did not change. "That's your problem?" He looked at Larry and then back at me. "Listen, I'm too old to worry about that ego crap, and Larry's too stupid."

Larry chimed in with "Yep, yep."

"We're here to make people laugh," Tuck continued. "That's the whole reason for the show. If you can run around behind me and make faces, then do it! You're going to walk off with this show anyway-- let it fly!"

[more to come]

BB:an
SPJ, Ron Daniels, wm6929 and 3 others liked this
Well, come to think of it, Bob was technically the first ghost buster I ever met in person, at a Wonderfest in Louisville KY about sixteen years ago I guess. I knew who he was from a very old magazine article about his Hallowe'en shows which captivated my interest when I was eight or nine. I haven't located the pic I had taken with him at that, but will post it when I find it again.

The book I'm quoting was a must-have after seeing slides of his collection at WF. A couple years ago, I even stumbled upon and won an auction on eBay for a DVD conversion of the VHS tape that Wonderfest sold throuh mail order of Bob's presentation. I'd only caught the tail end of it in person, so I was excited to travel back in time and see the rest of the show.

To my amazement, near the end when he opened it up for Q&A, none of the askers are visible on camera but I recognized my own voice asking a question I'd totally forgotten asking (about those Hallowe'en shows). It was an extremely cool moment to jog my memory of that day.

And now, back to Bob's tale...
Bob Burns writes:

Tuck turned out to be craggy on the outside but sweet on the inside, a very generous and funny person to work with. The day we met he called me Bob; after that I was "Trace," "Tracy," or "the kid." He and Larry made me feel like I was a valuable part of the team, and in no time we were all buddies. Larry didn't drive, so Tuck brought him to the lot in the morning and I'd give him a lift home at night. He did voices for Filmation cartoons, so we'd spend the ride home having conversations as barnyard animals and space creatures. If anyone had overheard us, they would have thought we were nuts.

Tuck was also my protector on the set. We were behind schedule from the get-go, so we churned out a show every two days to make our 15-episode slate. One day I passed out from the heat and exertion-- I was just too enthusiastic about the role, really, to notice exhaustion creeping up on me. Tuck was the first one over to see if I was all right.

"Hey kid," he said. "Aren't you supposed to be getting breaks so you can take the suit off and get some air?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"You're overdoing it. I'm going to lay down some new ground rules." He gathered the director and crew. "Now here's what we're going to do: When I think the kid's tired, we're going to have a break. I'll go off to my trailer and have a little drink, and you pop the gorilla head off the kid and give him some water and air and whatever he needs. Remember, if we kill him we don't have a show!"

From then on, Tuck would look at me every now and then and ask, "Are you tired?" And I'd say, "Well," and he'd repeat, "Are you tired yet?" -- and off he'd go to his trailer while I doffed the head. In fifteen minutes he'd be back, making sure I was OK, and we'd get back to work.

(more to come)

~~~

BONUS: Bob Burns getting into character as his pre-Tracy gorilla, Kogar.

Vee liked this
Bob Burns closes out this chapter (entitled Gorilla man) by saying:

Without a doubt, the time I spent as Tracy on "Ghost Busters" was the happiest in my life. I was being paid to work daily doing comedy while portraying a gorilla-- a perfect synthesis of my favorite things in the world. We worked hard, but the camaraderie was tremendous.

Naturally, it couldn't last long. While CBS wanted a second season of "Ghost Busters" for 1975-76, the production house, Filmation, felt that they faced a budgetary choice between our show and "The Shazam/Isis Hour." We ranked number two among new Saturday-morning programming and "Shazam/Isis" ranked number one: Filmation chose to put all their eggs into one basket, and our budget was given to the number-one show. As I noted to Lou Scheimer after the cancellation, it seemed strange to have your horses place first and second, then shoot the second-place finisher! After "Shazam/Isis" tanked six months later, I might have appeared prescient.

In another unfortunate circumstance, Filmation sold the videotape masters of all fifteen episodes of "Ghost Busters" to Westinghouse, and they in turn sold them to another party, who erased them. Ten shows have been released for sale on video, but the other five may be lost.

A bit of "Ghost Busters" lives on, though. Tracy became so indelible as my gorilla identity that the name stuck.

~~~

That's the end of the chapter, but please let this whet your interest for more. I highly recommend the book: It Came From Bob's Basement by Bob Burns with John Michlig, with a foreword by Dennis Muren. This is just the end of the gorilla chapter, there are several other great anecdotes in this one chapter alone, and many many more in the entire book. Poignant at times but ultimately uplifting, Bob's life story is both legitimately funny and a great inspiration.

And it's chock full of photos of his prop collection. What more can you ask? Nab a copy if you can!

Alex
While I love the hell out of Ghostbusters, I always loved The Ghost Busters when I was a kid. Even as an adult, I picked up the DVDs - and yeah, they were goofy and dumb as a sack of hammers, but they were fun too. Filmation did some of the best live action stuff in the seventies, them and Sid and Marty formed my childhood.
Alex Newborn liked this
Dusting off an old thread here...

I was watching the first episode of season two of M*A*S*H today, and thought an actor looked vaguely familiar.

I checked 'Anthony Holland' out on the imdb, but didn't see any other films or series that rang a bell.

He must just look like some other actor that I've seen before.

BUT, way down in his credits, I spotted a segment from Love, American Style entitled "Love and the Ghost" in which he is credited as... "Ghostbuster".

The episode aired Dec. 8, 1972... three years before Filmation's series. But I admit there's always the chance that someone retroactively called the character that for the online listings.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this episode? I want to watch the segment and also check the credits to see if they actually called him a 'Ghostbuster' back in '72.

Alex

No when I turn it off it still keeps firing even t[…]

Awesome! It's a complex but very fun build... Went[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]