Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By CaptCyan
Alex Newborn wrote:...I'm a little nervous... although I did paint a TON of Star Wars RPG minis with intricate detail and really enjoyed it, that was half my life ago. Before my eyes worsened to the point of wearing these bifocals...

Alex
Welcome to the club! :smile:

The relief on these figures is really sharp and nicely raised. Just get a few Ought / 3 and Ought /5 Brushes and the Figures will almost paint themselves...well, not really, but they aren't that hard to do.

PssdffJay wrote:Don't you have a pair of those magnifier lenses Dana wore at the museum? That could work no?

I need to order some of these, they look fantastic! When I went to order a while ago, slimer was sold out.
Hey POJay!

I'd check back with their website as the seem to replenish quickly. The magnifiers Dana used would work. I happen to use a Magnifying Lamp with a Swing Arm, serves the same purpose.

By Alex Newborn
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Jay, that's an excellent suggestion. Yes, I do own an Optivisor just like Dana's from GB2.

I hadn't considered applying it to a practical use, but it wouldn't be the first time I've used a replica prop in real life. I was once changing a lightbulb in a ceiling fixture of a windowless room and needed both hands free for the various nuts and washers. I went and fetched my 'Ray' hardhat with lamp so I could see what I was looking at.

But back to painting minis, I also have a little 'helping hands' for soldering etc. that would make things easier.

It's a magnifying glass and some alligator-clips on sturdy ball-jointed arms, attached to a weighted base... although at the moment it's hidden inside an old Kenner Slimer puppet to keep him upright on display.

I really like that magnifying lamp of Capt's, though. May have to look into one of those.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Gathered everything together... only awaiting the 'Velma' figure from that other website at the moment.

The five sets of GB gear arrived a couple of days ago. They had been out of stock when I ordered my GB's and Slimer.

I had missed the Hallmark Ecto when it came out, kept putting off the purchase, but seeing Capt's pic showing its close scale with these cinched the deal.

Also picked up some acrylic paints, including two that glow.

The plastic stands arrived last week. Big thanks to Capt for correcting me when I almost ordered the wrong kind.

Question! After this pic was taken, I assembled the clear stand for Slimer, but the post is very loose in the base. What glue would you recommend?

Alex
By Alex Newborn
That may solve two problems for me.

I have a close-enough camera that I wear around my neck for my Ray Stantz NY Public Library outfit.

It cost me $3 at a thrift store. Not the right model, but visually similar.

A while back I dropped it and cracked the lens. I was able to cut a replacement from plexiglas, but when I glued it in place, it fogged.

What's a good place to buy this G-S Hypo Cement?

Alex
By CaptCyan
I purchased mine at my local Hobby / Train Store. It's available online at Micro Mark, only thing is they make you purchase 2.

http://www.micromark.com/watch-crystal- ... ,7468.html

Michaels Craft Store sells it under the Beadalon name. Different packaging but the description is the same down to the use on Watch Crystals. It's online and most likely in store. They are a little bit pricey, but you can buy one at a time.

http://www.michaels.com/beadalon-gs-hyp ... 32390.html
By d_osborn
Alex Newborn wrote:A while back I dropped it and cracked the lens. I was able to cut a replacement from plexiglas, but when I glued it in place, it fogged.
If the plexi still doesn't work with the new glue, you could also try a screw-on UV lens filter.
By CaptCyan
Did some more painting and a few other things during the week. Still painting the Fauxbusters.

Janine has her Trap.

The Friehouse has another wall done.

Worked out a color scheme for my Proton Packs. As the Packs are designed like the RGB's, it echos the Cartoon Pack colors but in a subdued pallet. Now I have to see if Joeghostbuster want his done the same or Movie style.

Here's Janine with the Pack putty tacked on her back. I need to make the straps.

This is a better shot of the Cartoon Colored Pack...

...and it glows under Black Light.

By PssdffJay
These are coming out terrific! What do you use to attach the trap and pack the "Janine"? I've never worked with models like this before so it's going to be a whole new learning curve of skills I'll need.
By CaptCyan
I filed the excess Chainsaw Handle from Janine's fist and slowly hand drilled a hole for the Trap Handle. The hole was a bit too small so I shaved down the Handle. It's secured with Super Glue.

Right now the Pack is temporary, being stuck on with Museum Putty. I'll Drill into the backs of Janine and the Pack and use a small bit of Metal Rod and Super Glue to peg them together. Once that's done I'll use Milliput Putty to fill in the gaps and make her Straps.
By CaptCyan
Done with the Uniforms so I only have the Packs and Bases to finish up before I move on to the "Ecto".

Hand painting the Arm Patches was the worst part of this job as they are just plain circles on the Figures.

I threw in a pic of "Ash" just for fun.

Painted up Janine's Trap. The Indicator Bar on the top front of the Trap will glow yellow.

Painted up the Lamps and put them on the Firehouse.

Group shot just for fun.

By Alex Newborn
My 'Louise (b)' figurine arrived today from Hasslefree.

I am amazed at how flawless your removal of the chainsaw and substitution of the trap looks.

A little scared to attempt the same.

And it just dawned on me... the character is obviously Velma, but they didn't own the rights. So they call her Louise.

Do you think that's a mnemonic so they can remember what they named her? 'Velma and Louise'?

Alex
By CaptCyan
Yes, not having the rights but I think it's more of a play on words, or names as the case may be. If you look through their Figure lists, it's full of them. This guy, for example is obviously Bruce Campbell as Ash from Evil Dead / Army of Darkness.

In their catalogue he's named Cole (as in Coal Ash ). When they put him in a different pose, he then turns into Oakley instead of Ashley.

They also do Movie references puns, like Velma / "Thelma and Louise". They have a Figure called Bubba. It's a Fat Elvis with a Guitar and a Gun. His name is taken from the Movie titled "Bubba Ho-Tep", in which Elvis was played by Bruce Campbell.

There, I went full circle. :smile:

Before you ask, yes, I do have Bubba. I'm now looking for an Eldorado for him.
By Spengler02
That is SO cool Cyan. How much to make a set for me? ;)
By CaptCyan
Spengler02 wrote:That is SO cool Cyan. How much to make a set for me? ;)
PM sent.
mwzg wrote:pretty cool! I wouldn't mind cracking out the airbrush on those little guys.!
So get crackin'. I'd love to see a set of these Figures get the airbrush treatment.
By mwzg
CaptCyan wrote:
Spengler02 wrote:That is SO cool Cyan. How much to make a set for me? ;)
PM sent.
mwzg wrote:pretty cool! I wouldn't mind cracking out the airbrush on those little guys.!
So get crackin'. I'd love to see a set of these Figures get the airbrush treatment.

Hmmm, Your challenge now has me thinking maybe I'll sculpt my own set after the holidays and offer them as blanks for you guys to paint, or painted by me. High strength plastic resin though. Maybe allumintite? Keep slimer glow in the dark though? I'll have to think about this. What would you guys want to see/ be offered?? maybe push the size up a little, 50mm(about 2inch) I dont know?
anyone want to spitball this idea around.

_ZG

http://www.zeitgaiss.com/
By CaptCyan
Since there are already 'Busters of this size, don't re-invent the wheel, put hubcaps on it instead. Maybe do a Gozer and Terror Dogs set...or Janos and Vigo, which would open the way for Slime Thrower 'Busters.

Better still, there is a big gap in the 1:18 scale. Make some 'Busters to go with the Mattel Hot Wheels Elite Ecto 1 and 2.

How's that for a spitball?
By mwzg
CaptCyan wrote:Since there are already 'Busters of this size, don't re-invent the wheel, put hubcaps on it instead. Maybe do a Gozer and Terror Dogs set...or Janos and Vigo, which would open the way for Slime Thrower 'Busters.

Better still, there is a big gap in the 1:18 scale. Make some 'Busters to go with the Mattel Hot Wheels Elite Ecto 1 and 2.

How's that for a spitball?

Thats what I'm looking for!! Awesome suggestions!! Terror/gozer dogs, done- this year definitely getting on those, Jano/Vigo. Would love to do something with them- like a bust type thing. At least with Vigo. Jano would just be a fun caricature.
I have 2 gallery shows coming up in LA and Christmas in general. So I think right after that I'm gonna jump on terror dogs. May have to add some LED's for the eyes on those.

1:18 scale on the guys,about 4 inches, may have to bust out the micro-wax

Thanks,
I will certainly, keep you updated!
By CaptCyan
mwzg wrote:Thats what I'm looking for!! Awesome suggestions!! Terror/gozer dogs, done- this year definitely getting on those, Jano/Vigo. Would love to do something with them- like a bust type thing. At least with Vigo. Jano would just be a fun caricature.
I have 2 gallery shows coming up in LA and Christmas in general. So I think right after that I'm gonna jump on terror dogs. May have to add some LED's for the eyes on those.

Thanks,
At 28mm I think you would be lucky to get 1 small LED inside it's head, let alone for each eye.

As for the 1:18 'Busters, if you really want to give them a shot, I'll get my rear in gear and start back up on the Proton Packs. That would take some load off of your Sculpting.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 1&start=30
By CaptCyan
Figured I'd show how to attach the Pack to Janine as I forgot to show how I attached the Trap.

Hand drilled a hole in her back, making sure I didn't come out the front of the Figure.

Super Glued a Brass Rod into the hole.

Marked the depth of the Post and cut it off slightly shorter.

Lined up the Pack with the Post and used it to scratch mark where I should drill the Pack.

Drill out a shallow starter hole...

...and check to make sure it lines up properly. Finish up drilling and then Glue the Pack on Janine.

Line up pic to show Janine has her Pack and the other 'Busters have theirs painted. All I need to do is "Light 'Em Up"

Next I'll fill in the gap behind her Pack and make her Straps
By mwzg
CaptCyan wrote:
mwzg wrote:Thats what I'm looking for!! Awesome suggestions!! Terror/gozer dogs, done- this year definitely getting on those, Jano/Vigo. Would love to do something with them- like a bust type thing. At least with Vigo. Jano would just be a fun caricature.

Thanks,
At 28mm I think you would be lucky to get 1 small LED inside it's head, let alone for each eye.

As for the 1:18 'Busters, if you really want to give them a shot, I'll get my rear in gear and start back up on the Proton Packs. That would take some load off of your Sculpting.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 1&start=30
Not sure about the busters yet. But that would certainly be helpful Cap'n. With terror dog, I'm not sure what size I would really go. I could go 1 led for both eyes and hide the wires in the legs and the bat pack in the base. But the terror dogs are so cool I'd like to raise the size to really get into some detail. I'll be mulling this out over the holidays for sure.
By CaptCyan
mwzg wrote:Not sure about the busters yet. But that would certainly be helpful Cap'n. With terror dog, I'm not sure what size I would really go. I could go 1 led for both eyes and hide the wires in the legs and the bat pack in the base. But the terror dogs are so cool I'd like to raise the size to really get into some detail. I'll be mulling this out over the holidays for sure.
All I'm saying is make them compatible with the stuff that's already out there. Match the size to the existing Figures or to the Ectos. Make them worthwhile to add to a collection.

Speaking of adding, I just received a Spirit to add to my 28mm collection. He's cast in a translucent Green Plastic/Resin.

To bring out some of his detail, I gave him a wash of Tamiya Clear Green and Future.

This mixture accents some of the details and still keeps him transparent....

...hope Egon doesn't look into the Trap again.

Painted the back of the Firehouse, so all sides are done. Everyone came out to have a look.

All the Traps, Packs and Throwers are painted and "Lit".

Took apart the Ectos to prep and Paint. Still working on Graphics for them.

joeghostbuster liked this
By Spengler02
I'm amazed with the detail and quality of the figurines, Captain!
By CaptCyan
Thanks, SpengO2! I didn't make them, just did the painting.

A small update not from me, but from Crooked Dice about upcoming releases.

"Future shock: 2015!

I see lead people

Our monthly lead release will continue apace. Currently
in the running are: three more Coppers; some Guard
Dogs; a second Paranormal Exterminators pack;
Mounted Simians; Argonaut Mk3 alternate weapon arms
(trident, gladius, net, hammer and two bucklers); and, by
your command, a squad of Mk2 Argonauts."

Looks like more fun stuff in store for the Fauxbusters.
joeghostbuster liked this
By Spengler02
I know, but I mean the paint job. It's just so well done.
By CaptCyan
Well then, Thanks, SpengO2! Much appreciated.

Went shopping at A.C. Moore and bought the pack on the left. They Glow in the Dark when exposed to light. Since Joeghostbuster doesn't have a Blacklight, I'll make his Streams from these.

While at a Model train Show, I found this.

Figure I'll install it in the firehouse.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]