Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
A very minor thought but do we think the charcoal grey flightsuits were added into the mix just to break up the montage?

I could see how the filmmakers might have decided to throw those suits in there to give just a little more hint of the timescale, more clearly show that they have been responding to a LOT of calls.

Aside from Ernie Hudson wearing one during the mood slime demonstration they barely appear outside of the montage.
Yes.
It was likely to help show a variety of new equipment, which implies financial success. This combined with footage of them literally running around town gives the impression they are very busy and successful.

Since GBII is just a lower quality copy of GB1, instead of cute Casey Kasem narration or news reporters with funny extras in the back ground we get... different color uniforms and the introduction of new equipment that never pays off.
Not likely to be added just to break up the montage. The images that appear in the montages are from scripted scenes that were filmed but didn't make the final cut, it's just a coincidence that the navy suits (yes, they are navy and people need to accept it!!) were in the majority of the scenes cut from the film.

They also wore those suits in the promotional posters of the film so I'd say it's more likely they intended those suits to have a greater part in the film but for whatever reason they didn't get as much screen time as intended.
Didn't Aykroyd say somewhere the navy suits were meant to show an upgrade?
As cool as the navy/grey suits look (especially with a Santa hat), visually the beige suits are much better for the dark scenes. Dark suits, dark equipment and dark atmosphere would be hard on the eyes.
Zack liked this
Is it just me or do the navy blue uniforms have a slimming look to them? They seem a bit more formfitting and cleaner cut than the khaki versions. Why the leg hose is absent is a mystery especially if you consider its purpose. Ew! I wish they had more screen time and had been used for the climax. If not that, then another full fledge bust during the montage or at least when they went to the museum for the "routine spook check" would have been nice (Peter included; don't know why he gets to stay in civilian clothes while on the job).
I wonder how much the Real Ghostbusters influenced a decision to mix the suits up a little. Agreed the suits are awesome. They wouldn't have read very well at night or the final battle as people have said.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to the idea that they were navy blue. It might be one of those things, we always thought the original suits were a grayish color so people still want to emulate that look. I'm not a fan of the straight navy really to be honest. I know the originals were khaki and have gotten used to that, so who knows!

The charcoal-ish appearance they had looks better to me but I do not deny what color they are....tl;dr
Off topic, but has anybody ID'd those Santa Hats? They seem larger than the standard ones we are used to seeing...
I imagine they are just the higher end nicer ones, maybe even ones for a Santa Claus costume specifically(I say that because of how large the white band is)...I have one that resembles it quite nicely...well as opposed to some one the cheaper ones that aren't very fluffy, especially around the white band...it is not a match by any means though.
Back when I first got into GB costuming my uniform was navy. This was a test shot a friend took. In certain lights navy does look dark gray

If the dark uniforms are indeed navy, that will make it a hell of lot easier to replicate lol!
Peterson wrote:I've seen pics of Ernie at cons in *a* GBII suit, not sure if it's the original or not. Especially since it appears decidedly gray, especially in one group shot with fans in costume, and one of them appears to be wearing a stock navy flightsuit...

ETA:
from http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 3&start=30

I don't think that's a stock shot, that's MBurkit and it's either his G&B or a custom dyed suit.

Chances are Ernie's also wearing a replica suit because I also believe it was stolen!!
jackdoud liked this
Because there's nothing I will not overthink, I wondered about the logic behind the darker uniforms, or really any variant uniform besides the standard khaki. I wondered if it was because GB2 was supposed to take place in the late autumn and winter, and these were warmer, more insulated and upgraded versions of their standard uniforms. The hose as well would be unneccesary if it wasn't for...er...relief and was instead for ventilation of some sort, like it's there to provide some sort of air cushion to make sure the any particles from the pack don't build up too quickly, and a more insulated version of the uniform doesn't need that anymore.

I'll say this much though: dark blue or gray, the darker uniforms sure make for a striking visual. These guys look serious. If GB2 was originally going to be a darker film, maybe the new variant uniforms were designed with that in mind. They've done the ill-fitting, fumbling around, bright boys in over their heads thing. Now it's time to do the veterans vs. evil, time to kick serious butt thing.

Also: am I imagining it or does Egon look totally ready to cut a bitch in that snapshot? I know he's probably mid-stride or something benign like that, but damn he sure looks like he's about to slug someone.
abaka wrote:
I don't think that's a stock shot, that's MBurkit and it's either his G&B or a custom dyed suit.
Is MBurkit the one in the Santa hat? I was talking about the fella on the far left, with the black elbow pads, being in the navy suit. Though depending on the lighting, it looks a little light for navy....
And according to Ernie, that was his screen used suit from GB2
Keep in mind, Ernie has had 25 years worth of washing with that suit.
Hmmm, it does indeed look quite gray - like a more faded version of the guy's on his left. Then again, here's what my navy Tru-Spec looked like after a few hot washings and some Rit color remover: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/K ... 36ff2e.png
Zack wrote:These were the photos that revealed what they looked like...

Admittedly I don't have much of a dog in this race, having been born 'color deficient' (colorblind), but did everyone really ignore all the evidence of the movie frames in favor of interpreting that the flightsuits were navy blue due to a photo where Murray's Santa hat looks THAT far from red?

I sincerely hope there's some more definitive evidence of this navy blue claim than that.

Alex
Demon Vice Commander wrote:Ernie's GB2 suit is absolutely screen-used. Pity some jerk had to swipe it. :(

Here's another shot of his suit that I found on the internet.

That's heavy his belt still has the gizmo among other items. What kind of a$$ hole would steal his uniform? It's not like you could sell it without someone some day noticing. Hope they get their's! The fan made uniform he wears now doesn't seem to be completely accurate. Such a shame. :sigh:
vgirl liked this

This looks like a beautiful book, I would love to […]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when I&[…]

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]

@GBfan77 No when I turn it off it still keeps firi[…]