Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By RavenEffect
If you have a moment, please feel free to check out my new video before you read this thread (some of the things I talk about here are in the video as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9eWLqu9Qs

Please forgive the long thread. Thank you to anybody who actually has the patience to read it.

Has anybody else ever read "Ghostbusters: The Return" by Sholly Fisch? It was released years ago (2004, I think). I think it was around the 20th anniversary of Ghostbusters, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the book took place several years after the events of Ghostbusters 2. The Ghostbusters have continued to thrive and are beginning to face another threat the level of Gozer and Vigo.

I got this book when it first came out and read it right away. I LOVED it. I just recently decided to read it again, and loved it just as much the second time around. I could definitely read it again and again. Has anybody else every read it? What did you think?

Personally, I think it could have even made a pretty darn good Ghostbusters 3. I'm also very fond of how they used Slimer. I loved Slimer in the movies, and loved him in the cartoons as well. However, I would find it kind of corny if he was like his cartoon self in the movies. Since the book was based on the movies (not the cartoons) they had to avoid going that route. At the same time, though, a lot of people love Slimer and would want to see him. I think what Fisch did was really awesome. Slimer was given the same kind of mascot-like role that he had in the cartoons, but to a much lesser degree. He was only in a few scenes. It didn't become the Slimer show. I thought that was really cool because I love Slimer, but, let's face it, the story should be about the boys in gray, not the green spud.

One last thing I was curious to discuss (something I also talk about in the video), I was curious who, in your mind, you casted for the roles of some of the new characters. That's one of the things I always love about books. You get to cast the new roles in your mind. It can be fun to pick your favorite celebrities or even your friends and family to play out the roles in your mind as you read the book.

As far as Mayor Lapinski, I always pictured him as Danny Devito. They way they described the character as being short, fat, and bald, and just frankly the way he acts, I felt like Danny Devito would be PERFECT for the role. In fact, if they ever actually did make the book into a movie (obviously, though, that isn't going to ever happen) I really think he'd be great in that role.

When the book described Jonathan Goodraven, I couldn't help but picture him as the Undertaker. If you, just like me, are a wrestling fan (don't get me started on how much it has sucked for the past few years) and you read this book, you'd probably know what I was talking about. The way they described him as being BIG and imposing, having a deep, powerful voice, and never showing any emotion just made me instantly think of the Deadman. The further I read, when they started talking about his piercing eyes, it just made him sound like the perfect fit for the role in my mind. Of course, unlike Danny Devito, Undertaker would probably not make a very good choice in reality if they actually made the movie. He's a wrestler, not an actor. But he worked just fine in my head.

I pretty much always just use some of my favorite wrestlers or actors, or people I know in real life to fill out the roles in my head. Anybody else have interesting choices they want to share for who they pictured the new roles as? Or please feel free to share your thoughts of the book all together.
By Ray Stanz GB
Yes, I had forgotten about it since i read it, but after seeing the cover I totally remember. Great freaking book. It could have been the worst book in the world and I probably would have still loved it.
By Nikorasu
sadly i did not and probably will not have a chance to read it becuase i did not know it was made till after they stopped publishing it (due to the publishers going out of business) and as anyone looking for it would know is hard to find
By gbmatt
i love the book...ive read it about 3 or 4 times so far.....i would have read it more but i like to read books and wait long enough that i forget alot obout the story that way i get to be somewhat surprised over and over again....

one thing about jonathan goodraven...i always looked at him as being prtrayed by...i cant remember his anem...but the guy that played as dracula or drake in Blade Trinity......i thought he would be good....
By Kingpin
I don't think the Undertaker has the right look for Goodraven... I see someone tall but not muscly, with sharp features... like Ian Richardson, who also possesses a strong, imposing voice that can be delivered with no emotion. Someone who looked like they came from another century.

He's a wrestler, not an actor
It'd be too easy to make a joke about that. :-).

I enjoyed the book despite the flaws I found, it was a great use of some of the most popular urban legends around and it showed a side of Venkman we rarely saw.

As you mentioned, it was also nice to have them still be in business rather than being broke and out of work... again.
By gbmatt
Dominic Purcell is the guys name im thinking about

of course hed need to grow some hair but i always thought he would make a good goodraven
By bradboss12
too bad I missed that one. : ( If it's out of print and in demand, I imagine it's a fortune. There was a book years ago called "How to be a Superhero in 90 days or Your Money Back". It was a small run on by a Canadian publisher. Funny, funny stuff. 2 of my friends have it. Last time i checked, it was going for $200 (for a small paperback!!) I do have Making Ghostbusters, which is pretty hard to get. Who knows? With "Ghostmania" gearing up, maybe someone will get the rights and re-release it?
By RavenEffect
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Ray Stanz GB wrote:Yes, I had forgotten about it since i read it, but after seeing the cover I totally remember. Great freaking book. It could have been the worst book in the world and I probably would have still loved it.
LOL! Yeah, I hear ya. It could have been terrible and I'd probably have still loved it because we got something new with the Ghostbusters. Luckily, though, it was really good.
Nikorasu wrote:sadly i did not and probably will not have a chance to read it becuase i did not know it was made till after they stopped publishing it (due to the publishers going out of business) and as anyone looking for it would know is hard to find
I know. That really stinks. I would suggest you keep your eye on eBay and Amazon.com. You can always find all sorts of stuff on eBay, so I am sure it is bound to pop-up there from time to time. Amazon has it used from independant sellers from time to time, but unfortunately, I've never seen it for cheaper than around $30. I'd have trouble paying that much for any book, honestly. Still, looking on Amazon for used books, I've found some pretty difficult to find books for pretty cheap. You just have to keep looking and sometimes you'll be lucky.
samhain18 wrote:i love the book...ive read it about 3 or 4 times so far.....i would have read it more but i like to read books and wait long enough that i forget alot obout the story that way i get to be somewhat surprised over and over again....
I know what you mean. I'm exactly the same way. I love reading. I usually read during my breaks at work. I have tons of books waiting for me. If I like a book enough, I will sometimes like to read it again. Just like you said, though, I have to wait until it has at least been a little while. Honestly, I'd have read it more times by now, but I kind of forgot about it in my collection for a while. I read back when I was in college for the first time. Then, shortly after that, I really didn't have time to read anymore. Later, I got a new job where I had an hour long lunch. At first I didn't know what the heck to do with all that time, so I decide to use the time to read. Then, I had a whole bunch of new books to read, so I just never got around to it. With all the excitement of the video game coming out soon, I decided to pull it out again. To be honest, now I just cannot wait to read it again. I'll still try to wait at least a little while, though, so it is somewhat fresh again.
samhain18 wrote:one thing about jonathan goodraven...i always looked at him as being prtrayed by...i cant remember his anem...but the guy that played as dracula or drake in Blade Trinity......i thought he would be good....
I haven't ever seen the Blade movies. I may have to check them out, and I'll be sure to look for that guy to see what I think.
Kingpin wrote:I don't think the Undertaker has the right look for Goodraven... I see someone tall but not muscly, with sharp features... like Ian Richardson, who also possesses a strong, imposing voice that can be delivered with no emotion. Someone who looked like they came from another century.
That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure who that is. I'll have to look him up on IMDb.
Kingpin wrote:
He's a wrestler, not an actor
It'd be too easy to make a joke about that. :-).
LOL! I know what you mean. Trust me, though, just because pro-wrestling really does involve a lot of acting does not mean that wrestlers always make good actors. Just look at Hulk Hogan. LOL! Rowdy Roddy Piper has been in a few stinkers too (though, from what I hear, he's actually been in some good ones too). The Rock is not that bad an actor, but he was always much more of an entertainer, so that is no surprise, really.
Kingpin wrote:As you mentioned, it was also nice to have them still be in business rather than being broke and out of work... again.
That was definitely one of my favorite parts. I like that, for once, the Ghostbusters get the respect they deserve and are still in business. I loved the movies and the characters so much that I'm much happier seeing them continue to succeed. I mean, come on, how many times could they possibly save the world, yet still everybody goes back to barely knowing who they are?
samhain18 wrote:Dominic Purcell is the guys name im thinking about

of course hed need to grow some hair but i always thought he would make a good goodraven
Another name I'm not familiar with (and the picture isn't working for me for some reason). I'll have to look him up on IMDb too.
bradboss12 wrote:too bad I missed that one. : ( If it's out of print and in demand, I imagine it's a fortune. There was a book years ago called "How to be a Superhero in 90 days or Your Money Back". It was a small run on by a Canadian publisher. Funny, funny stuff. 2 of my friends have it. Last time i checked, it was going for $200 (for a small paperback!!) I do have Making Ghostbusters, which is pretty hard to get. Who knows? With "Ghostmania" gearing up, maybe someone will get the rights and re-release it?
I've seen it used on Amazon for around $30.00. You are right, though. It does go for quite a bit. I recently saw only one used copy left on Amazon and the seller was asking for about $135.00 for it. Now that is just insane. Cripes, if people actually pay that much for it, I probably should sell mine, but I could just never bring myself to do that. I love the book too much to ever part with it. Looking on Amazon right now, unfortunately, they don't seem to have any. That super hero book sounds funny too. Now I almost wish I could get that one.

Kalonthar, I do feel really bad for you. That really stinks that the book is so hard to find now. Like I said above, I'd just suggest keeping your eye on eBay and Amazon and never give up. It may be a long shot, but it does pay off. A few years ago, they did a series of Nightmare on Elm Street novels and I could not find the last two for less than $30, but I kept checking and eventually was able to find them on Amazon for less than they even originally cost. So, diligence can pay off.

Thanks for the link, castewar. I'm definitely going to give that a read. Anyway, I really wish this book would have led to a series like I had heard it was supposed to. It would be awesome to have a whole ongoing series of Ghostbusters novels. Star Wars has it, so why can't Ghostbusters? LOL! Let's all just hope that the video game proves hugely popular and gives the franchise the resurgance it deserves.
By RavenEffect
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

By the way... if anybody is desperate (and I do mean DESPERATE) to get a copy of the book, I just noticed it used on Amazon.com.... yeeeaaah... for $229.00. Honestly, who would pay that much for one book? Well, if you really MUST get your hands on it and you are rich, now is your chance. LOL!
    GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]

I'm not familiar with this one (is it a model?) […]

Also somewhat related question...I don't see giz[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]