Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Dan AKA
There's always been a lot of discussion about what is and isn't canon in certain universes, but what do you consider canon?

Personally, I'm a purist with one exception the Role Playing Game. While I don't believe the Role Playing game to be completely canon, I love how the explaine verything and the history behind the monsters, even thier Ghost classification system makes more sense than RGB ever did. So here:

Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
West End's Ghostbusters International

No, I on no level consider the cartoons, or fan fictions to be cannon. I do like some people EU props if they jive with the feel of the movies, but yeah. So there it is. Your thoughts?
By Spengler56
I never considered the canon of Ghostbusters to be really important. I think it's a bigger deal with a series like Star Wars because it has six movies, cartoons, an up coming live action show, video games and a ton of books. I loved the cartoon and comics of Ghostbusters. It's not really important to me whether or not they are official canon, IMO.
By castewar
Well, since you brought up Star Wars, they had to ask the same question when they only had two movies, some comics, and a few books. Right about where we are, really.

I'd agree Dan - movie, movie 2, game. I'd add movie 3 script, since it's set beyond the game, and doesn't look like it'd interfere - we know some details from it. How does the RPG fit in? Tell me more!
By Dan AKA
I only own some of the books from the first release of the role playing game, but I own all of the books for the second edition, rightfully called Ghostbusters International. The entire aim of the RPG is that Venkman after the events of Ghostbusters II has gotten his wish and Ghostbusters is expanding as a franchise opportunity around the world. Page 4 of the rule book has a nice pullout that deserves to be framed as it's a letter of acceptance from Louis Tully that you're the newest franchise and is all very official looking.

Other things that strike as really good explinations are how the proton pack works. "Proton Packs have two basic settings. The "attack" setting is the major one. A successful hit by a proton pack's stream lessens ghostly Traits. The "containment" setting is used to form a cage around a ghost and move it to wherever the Ghostbusters please."

Sound familiar? Like the upcomming Video Game mechanics?

"Crossing two proton streams set on attack results in a catastrophic explosion. This explosion is so catastrophic, in fact that, crossing the streams can only happen when done on purpose..."

"Giga-meter: One of Spengler and Stantz's latest inventions, the Giga-meter measures psychomagnetheric energy in GeVs - gia electron volts. Works really well at detecting mood-slime."

As for Ghosts, this information is more abundant from the first addition of the RPG:

"Class Three: Anonymous Hauntings. Distinct human form and personality is evident, but former identity is not established. If established, ghost is reassigned as a Class IV. Often difficult to deal with, Class III ghosts generally possess sophisticated means of defence.

Class Four: Identity established. Distict human form and personality with known identity, such as General Custer or Cleopatra. Economic disposal methods include research into the background of said entity, as well as possible communication with it.

Class Seven: Metaspectres. Obsessively malevolent, exceptionally powerful, and exhibiting control over supordinate forms, such entities are potentially very dangerous. These are often identified by primitive cultures as "Demons". Entities which fit this classification include Gozer the Gozerian and Vigo the Carpathian. Neutralizing them is usually a problematical undertaking at best. Most standard procedures are futile. The most realistic plan is to take measures to prevent these things from entering this sphere of influence in the first place."

Of course all the other classes up to 7 are covered. In my book, it dosn't get hire than seven. It also goes over what things like free floating means, focused, repeater and other words ray uses to describe ghosts. It also gives the full name of some of the book sof Ghosts used in the movie, like Roylance's Guide to Secret Societies and Sects, Tobin's Spirit Guide, and Spate's Catalogue of Nameless Horros and What to Do About Them.

And of course there's a full TObin's Spirit guide published with entries on big bad ghosts from all around the world including Sam Hain, and the Gozer Cult.

With the majority if not all of the data the RPG gives, and just how well it fits into the universe I find it hard not to consider it canon. Sometimes it seems as if they're in fact writing from Dan Aykroyd's head.
By Zack

There's a good one. WA WA WA WAAAAAA ;)

I do appreciate the efforts of some to tie some things together. Real Ghostbusters had such a long run, there is a vast amount of information revealed about the characters. I'm kinda torn. While there are obviously many references to the movie put into the cartoon, there are also many things I'd never consider true due to the "inconsistencies". Like Spengler56 said. RGB in itself is such a huge universe. With all the differences(hair color etc blah blah) I never considered them the same characters so much. They're pretty much like two seperate worlds to me.

I don't think they were ever meant to be connected aside from a few fun references to the films in the cartoon. Nothing ever bothered me about people connecting it though. I sometimes don't want to consider EGB canon with RGB ;) But I kid! :D
By dr_logan
I consider the films and the video game to be cannon... I don't include the cartoons with the Cannon, but the cartoons have their own cannon... and either way... I had fun with the cartoon, and the films.... One of my biggest issiues though would be some of the conflicts between the science and physics explained in the cartoons, compared to what is generally accepted for the movie universe...

Though I do have a question for you fans... more like an opinion pool...

I saw Return of the ghostbusters, and i remember the whole trap thing where it sucks human souls...

I don't consider it cannon, but I thought it was a really nifty idea...

What do ya'll think?
By Spengler56
castewar wrote:Well, since you brought up Star Wars, they had to ask the same question when they only had two movies, some comics, and a few books. Right about where we are, really.
Ya, that's true. It's just when I think of a canon of a series, I think of one of my Star Wars friend telling me every detail about random aliens in the Cantina scene. There must be a crap load of books for him to know this stuff. lol
By Nikorasu
glad to know most peoples idea of cannon for the gb series and mine are the same, i didn't know much about the west ends game and after reading the description dan gave it really caught my interest especially how well it seems to cover the material used in the movies by better explaining them

but yeah the star wars stuff is way complicated when it comes to cannon, if i ever need a question answered i just ask one of my two friends who know a lot about the stuff (i still can't believe how many books the entire thing has)

band i also just thought that ya didn't look into a trap because th light was extremely bright to the point of blinding someone, but it could only be blinding if you look directly into to it cause remember egon looked at the trap when catching slimer and he did seem to be squeezing his eyes shut when he said "i looked into the trap ray"
By Dan AKA
The only Ghostbusters I know to have looked at the trap without protection is Egon.

Also notice that in Ghostbusters II Ray does look at the trap during the montage, but is wearing Ecto-Goggles. Peter is looking int he direction, but it is revealed when he says, "bye-bye," that his eyes are closed.

Another scene to support the idea that the traps are just super bright is when the Ghostbusters activate the tripod traps, all of the Ghostbusters are wearing sun glasses and look away except for Peter and the girl.

In all actuallity I think the trap blinding you might be a proximity thing. Peter and the girl in the Crystal store were far away enough for it not to really affect them, especially Peter who was wearing his sun glasses, the other who were right next to a tripod trap all looked away. So perhaps them looking away automatically during a bust is just a safety percaution. Which is also why Egon didn't go blind. He wasn't close enough, as such he wasn't looking directly into the trap, so he didn't go blind, but it clearly bothered him.
By Fritz
If you want to get technical about "official" canon, there are multiple official canons, defined as "approved by Columbia Pictures and/or Sony", all branching off from the first movie. The second movie only considers the first canon. The Video Game and "The Return" consider both movies canon and nothing else (and presumably not each other). The first edition of the RPG only considered the first movie (it came out about the same time as RGB) while the second edition (GBI) includes both (and actually in spots excludes it's own first edition). 88MPH and RGB only considered the first canon, though RGB did later make some references to the second, but made it sound more like Vigo was just another monster of the week instead of a big deal. EGB would consider RGB and all the stuff RGB considers canon part of it's continuity, more or less.
castewar wrote:I'd add movie 3 script, since it's set beyond the game, and doesn't look like it'd interfere - we know some details from it.
:lol: ...that's easy for you to say--aren't you one of the few people who's actually gotten to read it?

Anyway...

I guess I'm notorious in some quarters for trying to use as much of everthing as possible. That was a lot easier before 2004, though, when everything released with Columbia/Sony's official approval followed a more or less linear path of time.

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

Hey, anyone else playing this game? I want to find[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]