Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By PeteVenkman_Jedi
LordVego wrote:This entire thread is one big facepalm.

You people are complaining about acting and effects and stuff in fan films; even originality. Come on. Really? Originality. In a fan film. About a premade franchise. What ever happened to liking what someone does and has fun with it?
Veggy, the only palming you seem to be familiar with at the moment is the incessant fapping you do to the erotic cartoons in the fan art section. Telling some one to like some piece if crap just for the sake that someone made it and had fun doing it is bull and you know it. Yes, there are a lot of really terrible fan films made but that doesn't mean any good ones can't get made. I see nothing wrong with trying to raise the bar of fan film quality. I thinks it's worse or just applaud people for anything they do just because they tried. Yes, I'll always appreciate a good effort, but I won't blow sunshine up anyone's butt to save their feelings. I grew up in a world before political correctness was around and you expected to tell folks their crap was crap without having to worry about their poor little feelings getting hurt. That was how things were improved upon.
By LordVego
PeteVenkman_Jedi wrote:
LordVego wrote:This entire thread is one big facepalm.

You people are complaining about acting and effects and stuff in fan films; even originality. Come on. Really? Originality. In a fan film. About a premade franchise. What ever happened to liking what someone does and has fun with it?
Veggy, the only palming you seem to be familiar with at the moment is the incessant fapping you do to the erotic cartoons in the fan art section. Telling some one to like some piece if crap just for the sake that someone made it and had fun doing it is bull and you know it. Yes, there are a lot of really terrible fan films made but that doesn't mean any good ones can't get made. I see nothing wrong with trying to raise the bar of fan film quality. I thinks it's worse or just applaud people for anything they do just because they tried. Yes, I'll always appreciate a good effort, but I won't blow sunshine up anyone's butt to save their feelings. I grew up in a world before political correctness was around and you expected to tell folks their crap was crap without having to worry about their poor little feelings getting hurt. That was how things were improved upon.
lol. You're really going to personally insult someone on the internet and then be taken seriously? I can make plenty of cheap shots on your username alone, but that's simply pathetic.

Listen, here, big guy. Provided you know anything about film making, which I am sure you don't, you would see how hard a 'good' film would be. Taking in factors of sound, lighting, acting, effects, grips, direction, and writing, you're looking at a pretty expensive budget.

Okay, you can direct it yourself, it's your movie. Fine. Quick note, it isn't as easy to have an artistic vision as you'd make it seem. Then you have to be able to put people in a place and have them work with that place while you adjust and work cameras into the right place. Then try shooting that about 5-20 times in different angles. You're a director? Awesome! Did you know poor direction is more than half of the bad shit you see in these films?

Directors need people to give them a story, where will you get a writer? Oh, your friend from work/message board/school/cousin/yourself is a writer? Alright, let's get started on that. Writing is a long an arduous process. You claim there is no originality, but you're dealing with something that has existed a long time. There can literally be no originality. That's out the window. Fortunately, there is a prewritten mythos so you don't have to create at all. All you need to do is come up with a situation. Then write a beginning, middle, and end. Do you know anything about story structure?
There, mapped it out for you. But it won't always work like that. Did you know that? That's only the male story structure. Within the space of each of those crises is another tiny male story structure for each and every single scene. Now there's also what is known as a FEMALE story structure. It doesn't need to go in any particular order, as each scene and their climax tell a different story. Now what you, as you must know in your infinite wisdom, must do is choose how this story flows. It will take countless drafts and rewrites but you knew that. You knew how time and price costly this was, right?

Sound/Lighting/Visual Equipment is something that is just completely bypassed normally in your world, I'm sure. In the world of actual film making, the camera equipment is generally something that needs to be very high quality, although it is possible to bypass this using high quality film editing software readily available for piracy on the web, so you're covered there. However, what can't be bypassed is the sound pickup from said cameras. If using something like a tiny handheld, light doesn't always come in the right way, it's harder to filter, oh and the tiny mic on it won't pick up sound right, but it will pick up plenty of wind and echo/reverb (see again the video Zack posted). Lighting isn't entirely necessary but what about night time shots? The light on your handheld won't hold up either. Oh you have all the necessary equipment? Cool!

Well since we're this far in, we also need to put people in front of the camera. I bet you have plenty of buddies that have always wanted to be movie stars, so we're clear! Wait, no, you said you wanted good actors. We'd better head down to the local community theatre/high school for them. Oh, don't forget to mention that acting in front of a camera is significantly different than on stage, so we'll check cable access, and the schools AV club! Not good enough, eh? That's because most hired actors won't do things for free. This is either because they can easily get something for pay at the same time as your project, or their UNION won't let them. I am a card carrying union actor. Luckily I am a ghosthead, so maybe I can hop on for a small fee. Even some of the actors in Return of the Ghostbusters were paid, so what does that say about the cast you can rig up at your next to nothing budget? Got them?! Awesome!! Let's move on!

Actors, director, writer(s), functioning camera, sound, and lights.. wait wait.. Do we have people to do behind the scenes work? You know, the people to set up and run lights, or sound equipment, or hold the cameras steady... or properties masters, costume masters (so your things don't get lost or ruined), or even auxiliary set builders for the sites you may not be able to get to. Music is also needed though right? Okay, so you're not an accomplished composer, we can just make something up on the MIDI program you downloaded! Wait, you can't? Okay, we'll use preexisting music. Wait a second, what's that? The FBI knocking at your door! Oh no! Run! You don't have the rights to that music! It's okay it was a not for profit film! Let's say you got the rights, just in case. You can seriously afford all of this? Really? Oh, you're going to do it all yourself?! Phenomenal, phenomenal.

As stated before a lot of post production software is going to be readily available online. That's no issue for you, O Captain of the Internet! But do you know how to use all that? It's okay they have tutorials. But, just as a precaution, you should grab one of those AV kids to help you out. I think one lives on the block, and his brother mows lawns in the summer. Hell, let's get them both over!

Wait this seems a little much for a fan film. I'm starting to get worried that this might not be worth it. We need to cut back on some cash, so we'll get rid of some of the cost somehow - goodbye high powered equipment; we can hire some friends and neighbors as behind the scenes guys, and extras; let's use our own clothes as costumes; maybe we don't need as many real actors as we thought.

Where are we now? We are at a standard GB fanfilm that you say suck so much. Care to do better? I dare you. I dare you make an amazingly glorious fan film with a tiny budget. Please?

[/can of worms]
Last edited by LordVego on August 25th, 2008, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteVenkman_Jedi
Hahahahahaha, someone sure like to see their words on a computer screen. Vego, that was an amusing read for sure, but I think you've completely missed the point. Why is it that all film students answer every issue about film with how film is made? Did you just copy and paste that from the Filmmaking101.com?

You appear to know a lot about the process of film making from a text book point of view. I say appear because you could have found that info from a dozen different sources, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for arguments sake. There are a couple of things you left out of that long and very technical tirade: Heart and Talent.

You don't need a big budget, superior lighting and camera equipment and a crew of 30 or more people. You don't need to hire, a bunch of actors, grips, property masters and a costuming dept to make a decent fan film. You only need a few people who are genuinely passionate about film and can work well together. I think ROTGB is a perfect example of just how having a budget and the glossy equipment, paid actors and all the right ingredients is no guarantee you will have a good film. It was horribly painful to watch. I know many of the guys here absolutely love it, but I can't stand it. On the other hand, the most of the clips that the GBTV guys have been doing are pretty enjoyable and infinitely lower budget. As an example.

So in short; glossy does NOT always equal better. You still need creativity, a good idea and heart and some talent. With out those you can follow all the film school dribble you want with access to all the equipment, actors, crew and gear in the world and a budget and your film can still suck.

And by the way, originally I was commenting on how you felt this thread was a huge face palm. There are many more useless threads about a number of completely useless, embarrassing, masturbatory flotsam that are much more deserving of a face palm than wanting to discuss how it is possible for the fan community to try and raise the bar of the fan film and make something better than the precious Return of the Ghostbusters.
By Mjollnir
jettajeffro wrote:Ghostbustin 911 is looking to be fun, especially with the scene where they give the people back their ghost for not paying the bill.
Hah!! Yea. That is surely gonna be fun once its out.
By LordVego
PeteVenkman_Jedi wrote:Hahahahahaha, someone sure like to see their words on a computer screen. Vego, that was an amusing read for sure, but I think you've completely missed the point. Why is it that all film students answer every issue about film with how film is made? Did you just copy and paste that from the Filmmaking101.com?

You appear to know a lot about the process of film making from a text book point of view. I say appear because you could have found that info from a dozen different sources, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for arguments sake. There are a couple of things you left out of that long and very technical tirade: Heart and Talent.

You don't need a big budget, superior lighting and camera equipment and a crew of 30 or more people. You don't need to hire, a bunch of actors, grips, property masters and a costuming dept to make a decent fan film. You only need a few people who are genuinely passionate about film and can work well together. I think ROTGB is a perfect example of just how having a budget and the glossy equipment, paid actors and all the right ingredients is no guarantee you will have a good film. It was horribly painful to watch. I know many of the guys here absolutely love it, but I can't stand it. On the other hand, the most of the clips that the GBTV guys have been doing are pretty enjoyable and infinitely lower budget. As an example.

So in short; glossy does NOT always equal better. You still need creativity, a good idea and heart and some talent. With out those you can follow all the film school dribble you want with access to all the equipment, actors, crew and gear in the world and a budget and your film can still suck.

And by the way, originally I was commenting on how you felt this thread was a huge face palm. There are many more useless threads about a number of completely useless, embarrassing, masturbatory flotsam that are much more deserving of a face palm than wanting to discuss how it is possible for the fan community to try and raise the bar of the fan film and make something better than the precious Return of the Ghostbusters.
Again with simple insults to make an 'effective' argument. Listen, we can all be snobs and pretend that because we build props down to the smallest detail of every film that every nerd in the world likes we all know what we're talking about, but you do underestimate the knowledge of film students and actors, of which I am both. Also, you may have missed my first post where I briefly described the facepalm. I said 'what ever happened to someone having fun with it?' or something along those lines, if I'm not mistaken, which to me, I thought was your ever so special 'heart'. I went into my 'textbook' explanation when I felt you challenged fun with actual quality. That was a misunderstanding on both our parts, I assume, but the problem I'm seeing with your argument is where is this talent going to come from? That was my whole 'textbook' explanation, is that talent doesn't always come cheap. Had you not held your nose in the air, looking down it, you wouldn't have had to have skip over a few words and skimmed over what I had said, and understood the meaning in it's entirety.

Let's recap thread from our points of view, since we've managed to not draw anyone else in:

:vinzclortho: "Fanfilms are talentless and boring and are generally terrible, since RotGB"
:cool: "RotGB sucked. Effects okay, acting sucks, effects don't make a movie"
:angryvigo: "Facepalm. What ever people to just having fun with it?"
:vinzclortho: "I want to be dazzled"
:angryvigo: "Dazzled by amateurs?"
*Up until this point, it's been a calm and cool conversation with no issues what so ever*
:cool: (Flame/Insult) Vego, you fap to pictures. Having fun doesn't make a good movie.We should raise the quality of fan films. It's bad to applaud people for trying.
:angryvigo: (Long winded explanation of where quality in film actually comes from, and relating it back to why it's more important they have fun or 'heart', and why it's hard to have this expected quality)
:vinzclortho: You forgot music.
:cool: (Insult) You found that explanation on the internet. You don't know what you're talking about. You copied and pasted. I was talking about heart the entire time. Glossy doesn't make it better. Creativity and talent is where the good films come from!

Now, where we stand is that there was some sort of angry miscommunication in there on your behalf that allowed you to feel you could attack me. Also, what the GBTV guys are doing aren't exactly on the same scale as a feature length film with DVD quality, even though, we can both agree they are doing a wonderful job with what they have.

A quick mention though: I see we were both talking about the same thing, apparently, according to you. Far be it from me to call you a liar, since I don't know you. But you also don't know me. Any asshole in a freshman in high school English class could have told you about story structure. Fortunately for you I am a film student. And a theatre student. I double major in knowing what I'm talking about in terms of camera, lights, sound, props, direction, writing, acting, and singing. Luckily I didn't have to say anything about singing. I'm not saying that to make me seem all high and mighty here, because we know film students around here are dime a dozen. However, they will tell you the same thing, except they won't know about acting. That happens to be my primary major, and I'd like to think I know more about it than about 99.9% of this community, so I'm telling you it's harder to get a really good actor than you think, not to make me seem cool.

This isn't an insult, because I'm certainly above that, but a challenge. You have all this room to talk and tear apart peoples films, make one yourself. I mean with they cheap budget you say you can make a super quality film with, I want you to make a movie with quality acting, directing, and writing. I will give you the benefit of the doubt on the others. Before you say 'oh why don't you do this, too?!' I'm going to just tell you I'm not the one tearing apart fan films posted on the internet.
By PeteVenkman_Jedi
Vego, with all due respect, I am not going to give a long winded response to this right now as I am really tired, a little punchy and my decision making skills are suffering for it. However, I am enjoying our exchange. I'll man up and admit the personal attacks were uncalled for as I might have gotten the wrong impression of where you were coming from. I'll post more about my feelings about the state of fan films when I'm a little more rested and a bit less argumentative.
By LordVego
PeteVenkman_Jedi wrote:Vego, with all due respect, I am not going to give a long winded response to this right now as I am really tired, a little punchy and my decision making skills are suffering for it. However, I am enjoying our exchange. I'll man up and admit the personal attacks were uncalled for as I might have gotten the wrong impression of where you were coming from. I'll post more about my feelings about the state of fan films when I'm a little more rested and a bit less argumentative.
Solid! Enjoy your rest, I look forward to more constructive discussion about this.

Between the terror dogs in GB1 and the Boogieman i[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with disas[…]

The opening post contain a lot information. Quic[…]

Hello all, Since the Haslabs Proton Packs are n[…]