Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Today a little piece of my childhood died. For the past few weeks I have been carefully cleaning and de-cluttering my bedroom in preparation for when I move out this spring. I have cleaned before but I have never de-cluttered like this. I was even going along my wall, removing old newspaper clippings, photos and the like when I came to a paticular spot. I stopped and stared - it was my old Ghostbusters 2 poster. The one my mom had let me buy from K-Mart in 1990, probably mere weeks after I had seen the movie. I couldn't help but continue to stare at the simple black poster with the big GB2 symbol on the front. It was stained and tattered after being stuck to my wall for nearly nineteen years. There were Real Ghostbusters stickers plastered all around the outside edge and a spot on the back where I had signed my name after learning to write script in the third grade.

As I stared at it I knew the time had come for me to retire my faifthful, old poster. It had been nineteen years. Most of my posters don't last five. With a heavy heart I pulled it off the wall, folded it up and started to walk out to the recycling bin. When I reached the bin I unfolded and started to stare at it again. It was stupid, I thought. Just throw it away. As pathetic as it might be, I couldn't throw it away. I couldn't let go of this tattered, old link to my childhood. Knowing that I didn't have the strength to do it, I handed it to my mom and asked her to throw it out. She did and as I returned to my bedroom and looked around and I experienced a strange, hollow feeling. It was if an old, forgotten friend had passed away.
By Spooky
This may have been an attempt to have a somber moment but I actually have to call you stupid.
There is no harm going out to walmart and shelling out 5-10 bucks for a frame and making that old memory look a little cleaner and keeping it hung some where for posterity.
By gjustis
Whew. I have not the words for this general depressing wierdness.

I eat a fruity jello cup in memorium.

And Spooky, c'mon, tough guy. No reason to call anyone names.
By Borzou
LordVego wrote:That was the saddest f****g Ghostbusters related post ever.
Jesus says,"Don't be a dick."
JediGrandMaster wrote: She did and as I returned to my bedroom and looked around and I experienced a strange, hollow feeling. It was if an old, forgotten friend had passed away.
Life goes on, eh?
By Radar
I'm with Spooky on this one. Moving out doesn't mean you have to trash it, and the fact that you couldn't toss it yourself clearly shows you weren't ready to give the poster up. If it means that much to you, go dig it out of the trash, frame it, and hang it up wherever you're moving to. It'll be a weird conversation piece if nothing else.
By Kingpin
He's having to trash it because it's stained and not in as good condition as it once was.

Whilst I admit there are times where mourning something like a poster seems silly, I also appreciate the fact it's a part of his childhood and was something he treasured... so maybe cut him a bit of slack.

And Vego wasn't being a dick, he meant it was sad from the point of view of it being something the guy loved that'd been destroyed by age and unintended neglect.
By Borzou
Kingpin wrote: And Vego wasn't being a dick, he meant it was sad from the point of view of it being something the guy loved that'd been destroyed by age and unintended neglect.
That is quite a literary interpretation.

I too think it's a sad story, but yes, JediGrandMaster could easily remedy the situation though suggesting alternatives (e.g. buying a frame, buying another poster, etc..). However, simply lashing out without providing an argument shows very poor taste. One could further argue that by calling LordVego a dick, I did the same thing. So, I will lead as an example by rewriting my post.

This guy poured out his heart in this post. Many of you were quick to trample on his post, but a few of you did offer suggestions as well. Indeed we are all entitled to our opinions and even though we are not all scholars, it would be nice to back up your statement with a reason. However, there is a leading hypothesis explaining social behavior on the internet stating that anonymity brings out the best in people (sarcasm, of course). Despite that, LordVego, don't be a dick.
By LordVego
You f****g moron, you're not getting it: I wasn't being a dick. I was actually the only one in this thread NOT saying anything about the post or anything. It was really a sad post. I felt SYMPATHY with his story.

f****g Christ, read a little bit.
By Borzou
LordVego wrote:You f****g moron, you're not getting it: I wasn't being a dick. I was actually the only one in this thread NOT saying anything about the post or anything. It was really a sad post. I felt SYMPATHY with his story.

f****g Christ, read a little bit.
My apologies. The cursing threw me off. LordVego is not a dick.

@ Everyone else, I'm not saying anyone here is a bad guy nor am I criticizing anyone else. It was a minor squabble between Vego and I (which I hope is resolved).

I remember when I threw away some of my childhood related materials a few years ago. It was a small collection of comics, toys, and clippings from magazines. Looking back, I kind of wish I would have used them in a scrap book.
By Busterchris
JediGrandMaster wrote:I couldn't throw it away. I couldn't let go of this tattered, old link to my childhood. Knowing that I didn't have the strength to do it, I handed it to my mom and asked her to throw it out. She did and as I returned to my bedroom and looked around and I experienced a strange, hollow feeling. It was if an old, forgotten friend had passed away.
dig it out and have it framed, that's what I would have done
By RavenEffect
JediGrandMaster wrote:Today a little piece of my childhood died. For the past few weeks I have been carefully cleaning and de-cluttering my bedroom in preparation for when I move out this spring. I have cleaned before but I have never de-cluttered like this. I was even going along my wall, removing old newspaper clippings, photos and the like when I came to a paticular spot. I stopped and stared - it was my old Ghostbusters 2 poster. The one my mom had let me buy from K-Mart in 1990, probably mere weeks after I had seen the movie. I couldn't help but continue to stare at the simple black poster with the big GB2 symbol on the front. It was stained and tattered after being stuck to my wall for nearly nineteen years. There were Real Ghostbusters stickers plastered all around the outside edge and a spot on the back where I had signed my name after learning to write script in the third grade.

As I stared at it I knew the time had come for me to retire my faifthful, old poster. It had been nineteen years. Most of my posters don't last five. With a heavy heart I pulled it off the wall, folded it up and started to walk out to the recycling bin. When I reached the bin I unfolded and started to stare at it again. It was stupid, I thought. Just throw it away. As pathetic as it might be, I couldn't throw it away. I couldn't let go of this tattered, old link to my childhood. Knowing that I didn't have the strength to do it, I handed it to my mom and asked her to throw it out. She did and as I returned to my bedroom and looked around and I experienced a strange, hollow feeling. It was if an old, forgotten friend had passed away.
I know how you feel! My sympathy goes out to you. It's the kind of thing where you know you really need to get rid of something, but you just can't. I mean, sure you COULD have kept it as others have said, but I find it highly doubtful that you'd have parted with it unless you really felt you had to. From the story, you obviously didn't want to part with it, so that leads me to personally believe that you had to, that there really wasn't much you could have done to salvage it and it really was just better to get rid of it. It obviously meant a lot to you, so as a fellow Ghostbusters fan, I can imagine how that must have sucked. If it makes you feel any better, you probably made the right decision anyway. And if you truly miss it, you can always buy a similar poster on eBay or something. It would be in much better shape anyway.
By Mjollnir
Sorry to hear that JediGrandMaster. I've had many a time where I had to throw out or give away pieces of my childhood. It's never easy.
By VOORHEES JASON
at least you had the opp. to do it. When I turned 18 I moved into a duplex that is on my familys property I lived there for about 8 years, but anyway after dating my girlfreind who moved in with me (who later became my wife) my stuff started to disappear little by little. I still remember the day I cam home and my Rocky II poster was missing from over the kitchen sink. :( Oh well it is part of life, but my wife is paying for it now we have two boys and they are all in to the same stuff I was thanks to youtube and various other sites and dvds and vhs from yard sales. TMNT, Ghostbusters, Transformers, and all I love it and she hate its lol that is what she gets for throwing out my stuff!
Man I feel bad for Jedi. Trying to share a challanging and sentamental moment with us and it gets blown up :sigh:

*Throws a twinkie and crunch bar in the garbage, then plays the taps*
Its the least I can do...
By Mjollnir
Yea. Some people are just d!cks.

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkho[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I thought 6 inch was 6 inch.. I just looked the m[…]

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]