Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By GhostGuy
I was just stepping through the film to figure out where Egon stows his PKE if anywhere, and I noticed that when they fire at the cleaning lady, the proton beams start off screen, travel to the end of the gun, and the "protons" that travel along the beam travel to the gun instead of away from it!

Almost as if whoever animated it accidentally ran the film in reverse, and then presumed that they were shutting the guns down, rather than firing them up.

[edit]

In addition, when they shut the beams down, the reverse is true. Instead of the beams ceasing at the gun and continuing to move offscreen, they end offscreen and shorten until they reach the gun's tip!

The lightning of the beam however, moves as expected, offscreen. Were they animated seperately perhaps?
By Rhapsody
GhostGuy wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:Also, Venkman never tucks his suit into his boots!
Um... I think you missed the point. :-)
Um... I think Mr. Boom da Jinks just likes a bit of sarcasm now and again. ; )
By Chace
Yeah.....I think what Boomer is saying is that the reversed streams are something most EVERYONE knows, just like Murray not tucking his pants in.
By Spooky
there have been discussion on if this was done on purpose for science or just for the guys to make sure they drew a good line from the target to the gun tip.
The science theory is the same as lightning starting from the ground and moving up to the cloud, or static electricity starting at the source and moving to your finger.
By GhostGuy
Well the science thing sounded preoposterous to me until I checked just now and found that the beams always seem to travel like this... At least the scenes at the end I checked. (Except for in the gozer scene when she jumps away, where the beams continue to travel off into the distance when shut down.)

So either someone really screwed up and ran almost all the segments backwards when animating it, which I suppose is possible if they farmed it out to China, or they did it intetionally.

If they did it intetionally, I don't know, the science reason still sounds far fetched to me. I mean the logical thing to do would be to play to people's expectations, not to reality. Nothing about anyhting else in this film plays to real physics. :-)

The choice to do it to align the beams easier... Doesn't make much more sense to me. If you start the beam at the gun you can move the end up and down with the gun tip as it moves. If you start it in the distance, then you have to predict where the tip will be the frame before you get to it. The latter may not be a big issue, but is certainly doesn't make it sound easier to go that way.

So I'm gonna have to stick with my theory that someone screwed up. :-) It seems like it would totally be possible for someone to get some frames of film, snip off the bit they need to animate and then get it backwards which way it's supposed to go through the projector.
By Boomerjinks
This is the EXACT discussion that I read when I first got on these boards that made me run into the woods screaming like a wildman. It was days before my friends found me, mostly naked with the remnants of my pants stuffed full of pinecones, covered in animal bites, and 10-feet up a tree. Apparently I kept muttering things about "throwers" and something called "raccoon-dot-com."

I was coaxed down and out of the forest through a series of elaborately-set traps baited with those little japanese koala cookies with chocolate filling. Having to endure nearly six months in reverse response therapy, I was eased back into computer and internet use, first being allowed access to only credible websites. I was strictly prohibited from reading internet comments of any kind for fear of violent regression, and slowly I started to read more humor sites and video archives.

Please don't send me into a relapse with over-analyzing fanboy buffoonery.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]