Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Bentheviolin
Here's a question for you guys. And I'm not trying to rain on anything, but... If GB3 and it is set in 2011 (10 years after Sept 11) wouldn't New York State and the Federal Government step in and take there proton packs? Because today they would be considered WMD?
By BSjohnson
A proton pack is as much of a weapon of mass hysteria destruction as the CERN Large Hadron Collider is.

A nuclear accelerator != a nuclear bomb.
By Not404Error
It's a movie. Movies don't always (and rarely do) follow real-world timelines/events/policies.
By BSjohnson
Not404Error wrote:It's a movie. Movies don't always (and rarely do) follow real-world timelines/events/policies.
That, too. Please refer to the Bellisarios Maxim and the MST3K Mantra for further details.
By Vigo the Butch
Not404Error wrote:It's a movie. Movies don't always (and rarely do) follow real-world timelines/events/policies.
Wait... Do you mean to tell me, that Mayor Lenny was never actually the mayor of New York City!?!
My whole world is crashing down around me!
By Ketchum
So like in the movie....Twilight never happened and Lady Gaga is a floor mat at Walmart?
AgentRingrose liked this
By kevinj319
I've not thought about that so much as I have the whole Ghostbusters concept in a post 9-11 world. Imaginary ghosts don't seem as scary considering the real life horrors that occurred in that city. Crowds running away screaming in the New York streets doesn't seem so amusing anymore.
By The Roach On Twelve
Wow, You guys are looking way to deep into this.

Think of all the superhero movies that were filmed in big cities.

Its a movie, all 100% make believe.

Peter Venkman really didn't put the stones to Dana Barret in real life, you know?
By Rune31
Depends if the material within the accelerator cyclotron is fissile like Plutonium or Uranium. There are many radioactive isotopes that have half-lives ranging in the thousands that could be used to power the packs. Also, and I'm no expert, but I think the material would have to be refined weapons-grade in order to behave like a bomb. Then again it is a movie with no extended explanation beyond the realm of pseudoscience so let's just accept that Egon is smart enough to make it work; if he can keep his hair like that I'll believe he and Ray can build such equipment.
portugueseGB liked this
By Agent Gibbs
seriously?

seriously?

its

a

Movie

lets see, why did *insert action hero movie* have x weapon/ability and the government not step in....

because it ruins a fictional plot and therefore makes it like real life where the government spoil all mad scientists dreams
By njukgb
Agent Gibbs wrote:lets see, why did *insert action hero movie* have x weapon/ability and the government not step in....
Iron Man 2 - government tried to step in and control.

Spider Man - Green Goblin experiments where, originally, government control.

Hancock - government stepped in and wanted him arrested

The Hulk - government attempted to re-create and contol

Just saying.. it happens.
By CPU64
The government will only approve the making of GB3 if in it, the packs run on wind and solar power. Winston is the owner of the franchise, city collateral damage can only take place in Arizona, and only white ghosts can be busted...

Hey, it could happen.
By enchanted unicorn
What I do find funny though, is the government data base has probably flagged this thread due to using words like nuclear, plutonium, new york, etc all in the same sentence.
The old codename for the govt. program was Echelon, but I think they use more powerful software now, and it's renamed Carnivore. I can't remember.

So congrats guys! An unmarked van is probably sitting outside your home right now.
By BSjohnson
Raystantz Italy wrote:mine too? I live in Italy!
Yours especially, with you being foreign and all.
By BSjohnson
Didn't you hear? GB3 isn't going to be made because New York State and the Federal Government step in and take the proton packs. Because they're considered WMD.
By Agent Gibbs
njukgb wrote:
Agent Gibbs wrote:lets see, why did *insert action hero movie* have x weapon/ability and the government not step in....
Iron Man 2 - government tried to step in and control.

Spider Man - Green Goblin experiments where, originally, government control.

Hancock - government stepped in and wanted him arrested

The Hulk - government attempted to re-create and contol

Just saying.. it happens.
and they were all pretty rubbish films lol, with the exception of Spider-man 1

and atleast nobody said bomb in this thread or else this would have been flagged as serious

oh wait..
By BSjohnson
Aw shit, Gibbs! And your avatar is holding a sniper rifle, too!
By ecto_skywalker
CPU64 wrote:The government will only approve the making of GB3 if in it, the packs run on wind and solar power. Winston is the owner of the franchise, city collateral damage can only take place in Arizona, and only white ghosts can be busted...

Hey, it could happen.
Hahahaha!
By Ivo Shandor
Peck represents the government trying to take control. They could introduce a new character or have Peck return. I like the idea of the government/EPA being one of the bad guys in the GB universe.

I don't like anything done with Peck in the video game, etc. Silly stuff. He should be the big beaurocratic baddie, but not the GB supervisor or possessed by a ghost.

Portable nuclear accelerators are being worked on today and would definitely be closely monitored if not seized by the government in real life.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]