Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
A all female GB reboot.......

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/02/ ... ers-reboot

yeah um no. Im fine with there being females on the crew. in fact i think there should be at least one girl. But having a all female cast. What are they the ghost blasters!
PlayswithSquirels liked this
Up until I saw this, I was all about another movie. So excited for any thing I could get my hands on.

Now, pass. I hope this fades and we get something decent or nothing at all. I don't want to see some stereotypical fat woman making cliche jokes or lame ass oh no you didn't bullshit.

This is going to give me nightmares. :sigh:
I'm all for female Ghostbusters. I've seen people mention an all female cast that are the daughters of the originals. I can get behind both of those comments. What I can not get behind is the word reboot. Hollywood uses reboots too much now. In my opinion a reboot should only be used when something wrong was done with the franchise. To my knowledge nothing as seriously wrong as Spiderman 3 has been done to the this franchise. Secondly I'm not a fan of the directors other work. He doesn't have the cinematic stones to tackle something like the Ghostbusters franchise. From the reactions I'm seeing online alot of people don't want this to happen. Hopefully Sony will see the reactions and not move forward with it.
Can we get something straight here?

Variety posted an article about the possibility for someone to direct a new Ghostbusters movie. IGN copies that story, and added the bit about how it would probably be female centric, because that's the kind of movies the guy makes. There is no basis on fact for that claim, and its something that IGN apparently made up. They also plainly make up the fact that Melissa McCarthy would be involved because why not?

That story was then repeated by many others after IGN.

Way to go IGN.
seekandannoy, EJLambert liked this
Well. Then its part Variety's fault too.

Variety even says Sony isn't even in talks with the guy about it. Who is? Is he looking to approach them?

Either way you swing it. This is unofficial news that has been compounded by news site adding on their own opinion and that then being reported as fact by others.
YHSCraig, *NormalGamer*, seekandannoy and 1 others liked this
All I know is that Paul Feig retweeted me yesterday, so that pretty much means I'm in the movie if it happens.

I'm starting to think that Dan Aykroyd has no idea what he's talking about by the way.
No Melissa McCarthy. Please no. I can't watch her play that same character type again and again and again. Rumour or not. Please no.
AJ Quick wrote:This is unofficial news that has been compounded by news site adding on their own opinion and that then being reported as fact by others.
I did not know that!

Well, in a way I'm glad. Because a reboot is not my preferred way to get GB back on the big screen.

But in another way, it's just another hope for GB3 shot down. I wish they would stop with the rumors and the half-truths and the fake stories. Don't give us anything that's not more concrete.
I love the hell out of Paul Feig. Freaks and Geeks is one of my favorite shows ever (he was the co-creator), and his autobiographical books are amazing and hilarious. I also think Bridesmaids is one of the best comedies in the past decade (The Heat wasn't so... hot).

I know this is all conjecture, but I'm down for him to helm the movie, because I know he has massive respect for that style of comedy. All girls is fine with me too, so long as there is an effective tie in to the past.

But overall, reboots suck. There is absolutely NO reason to reboot Ghostbusters (and barely any reason to do another sequel, while I'm at it).
I loved Bridesmaids, but an all females GB would be retarded. I'd love to see Kylie Griffin, but let's face it, ghostbusting is more of a man's job. The hard science, the heavy equipment, the stress, the danger, the horror, etc. -- not exactly for women.

And a reboot is also unacceptable. The original characters are half the appeal of Ghostbusters. Maybe more. They're too beloved to ignore completely. I'm OK with a new generation, like XGB, but please pass the torch, don't extinguish it and light another….
Female, male, I don't take objection, as long as it's well done. What I think will suffer is the horror aspect. To quote BILL MURRAY himself, "the darker the backdrop, the brighter the spark."

Ghostbusters worked so well because it was a HORROR movie and these every day guys were DROPPED INTO IT. In fact, they weren't every day people. They weren't even 'everybody knows that guy. Tom, down the hall, in accounting." These were all of us. They were our friends.

My beef here is with Paul's style. He tends to shoot women in an exaggerated, almost caricature style. That's all fine for a straight comedy, but it doesn't work in one with grounded characters.

What Paul Feig does (along with other directors) is simply make women 'tough.' They aren't grounded. They walk towards danger with no fear, and that's okay, but it's kind of boring. Ellen Ripley, when faced with an unimaginable horror, was scared, but still moved ahead. That's a great, grounded character. Even in a more stylized film, you have Beatrix Kiddo. She was angry, and she was, at times, genuinely frightened, but still, a fantastic and interesting character, with a daughter, a heart, and a weakness.

These characters, Feig's, I'm not as big on. When you take away the fear, the motivation, and just call them 'tough' or 'intelligent' with no context or support, you don't get a smart, funny character. Someone who walks towards danger with no fear is arrogant. That's Captain Hammer.

I hope that makes sense. I really, really, would love some great female Ghostbusters. I just don't know that I want his, necessarily.
If the original movies and the cartoon was a all female group of GBs how many of you guys would have loved it like you do today? Would you have begged your mom or dad to take you to the toy store and get their action figures? I doubt I would have cared about it much less gone out and collected the toys. Maybe I would have watched it and thought it was funny but that would have been it. It would have been no more special than a movie like the goonies or some other funny movie when I was young. I understand there is girl fans of GB, but the majority I would guess is male.

I do want Kylie as a GB, and if there is another female GB ok, but then have Oscar and one other male. Then have Ray, Winston, and Janine be their mentors and pass the torch to them.
ghoulishfright wrote:I loved Bridesmaids, but an all females GB would be retarded. I'd love to see Kylie Griffin, but let's face it, ghostbusting is more of a man's job. The hard science, the heavy equipment, the stress, the danger, the horror, etc. -- not exactly for women.
Seriously, man. They'd probably be all like "EEEEEEE A GHOST!" and like run away and everything, doing their nails and gossiping about boys for two hours. That's supposed to be a movie? Where's the hard science men-work, Hollywood?
Vee, Razorgeist, M.Thunder liked this
Carpeteria wrote:
ghoulishfright wrote:I loved Bridesmaids, but an all females GB would be retarded. I'd love to see Kylie Griffin, but let's face it, ghostbusting is more of a man's job. The hard science, the heavy equipment, the stress, the danger, the horror, etc. -- not exactly for women.
Seriously, man. They'd probably be all like "EEEEEEE A GHOST!" and like run away and everything, doing their nails and gossiping about boys for two hours. That's supposed to be a movie? Where's the hard science men-work, Hollywood?
Pat you joke but realistically those jokes would probably really be in it.

I think when you have an all male cast in a comedy like Ghostbusters, the humor tends to be more generalized and it isn't specifically about the characters being men, it's a comedy about catching ghosts. But with an all female cast, I feel like the humor would end up being too woman-centric and the ghostbusting part would just be something in the background.

But I'm a sexist so what to do know, right?
GhostBustin_84 liked this
Eh, I think there are numerous all-male cast movies that are considered "comedy" that are full of drunken fart jokes and the like, and I don't see that as any different. I don't think an all girl GB movie would go that route, honestly, because I think any writers would respect the original material too much to turn it into a gimmicky movie. I also don't think it will ever happen, for that matter.

But the notion that it shouldn't happen because girls can't handle equipment, stress, or "hard science" is ludicrous.
Razorgeist liked this
If all the leads were female I would be crying tears of joy in the theater. It would be so amazing and important if women GBs were represented on the big screen. I can't express how great it would be to see someone like me represented on a movie as a Ghostbuster.
The comics were really neat being the first time since RGB that a woman has donned the iconic jumpsuit rather than... Spandex and football pads. However, it was the comics. Not as hugely advertised or followed as the movie series it was based on, unfortunately. It would bring important women roles into the public eye and expand the fandom even more than the huge pile of dudes it is now.

I'm surprised so many GBFans are getting so crabby about it when there's already been a women lead team in the comics. I would LOVE a movie adaption of that group. But this rumor has really brought the gatekeeping turbonerds out of the woodwork. They refuse to believe that anyone but guys watch these movies. The first comment on the Nerdist was a guy threatening suicide and wishing terminal breast cancer on the cast members if this actually occurred. The level of discourse didn't get too much better than that on almost every platform it was discussed on. The most commonly stated idea was that of "I don't mine female GBs but a majority, or an all female cast? C'mon!". Why is more than one female character so intimidating? Girl 'Busters have put up with and happily accepted teams full of guys for years. We've been able to sympathize and easily consume media where men are the majority for years, but when a team full of women is suggested, not even confirmed, and just another rumor, fanboys flip their shit and say they can't identify with them. As if women leads are lesser, bad, and incapable of being compelling and hilarious characters because dudes are the default. And some GBFans wonder why there aren't more gals in this fandom...

And yes, I know that some of you guys do support the idea of female leads. That's awesome. You make this fandom a better place for GB gals. Props to you. Representation and support matters.

Honestly, I've fantasized about an entirely gender flipped GB1 for a long time. The character dynamics stay the same, but would be so cool and refreshing in terms of shaking up what kind of female characters and dynamics we're used to seeing.

Also holy shit dude you actually think that women can't carry proton packs or do science? What the hell is wrong with you???
Carpeteria, Some_Guy, AJ Quick and 1 others liked this
But seriously, we're not going to see any women GBs on the big screen until they solve this issue:

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]