Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Carnacki
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:I think it's telling that Paul said that Sony told him that NOBODY wanted to touch a GB3 movie.I think he's got balls just taking on the project and I can't help but think that keeping the franchise alive is an overall good thing. Wouldn't a new take on Ghostbusters that is successful be better than a failed attempt at re-creating the magic of the original? The only thing I am really disappointed about is not being able to see Etan Cohen's script.

I also have a sneaky feeling that Bill Murray will show up in a cameo.
Did you read the interview with Feig? Even if the originals show up, it would be as different characters. Um, NO. I don't care what kind of Ghostbusters fan you are. That is literally the worst case for us all. Even worse if they had never made another movie.
By DrGrim
I'm very angry that this is a reboot that ignores the original movies. I've held out hope for a Ghostbusters 3 for 25 years for this massive disappointment. I had no problem with a new director, I had no problem with a new case, hell I had no problem with an all female cast. But ignoring past continuity is unacceptable to me. I won't be seeing this in theaters, and that makes me sad to say that. What a wasted opportunity. I can't believe that the powers that be allowed this to happen, especially Dan Aykroyd. Didn't he have a say in this? Or did they take away his creative control? The 30th anniversary of the franchise has been immensely painful. First Harold passes and now this happens.
By GhostBustin_84
Carnacki wrote:
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:I think it's telling that Paul said that Sony told him that NOBODY wanted to touch a GB3 movie.I think he's got balls just taking on the project and I can't help but think that keeping the franchise alive is an overall good thing. Wouldn't a new take on Ghostbusters that is successful be better than a failed attempt at re-creating the magic of the original? The only thing I am really disappointed about is not being able to see Etan Cohen's script.

Did you read the interview with Feig? Even if the originals show up, it would be as different characters. Um, NO. I don't care what kind of Ghostbusters fan you are. That is literally the worst case for us all. Even worse if they had never made another movie.
As far as I'm concerned, They're not making another Ghostbusters movie. If they can pretend Ghostbusters 1 and 2 never happened, I can pretend this isn't happening(or ever happened if it ends up being made).......
By M.Thunder
GhostBustin_84 wrote:First off, let me just say, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FEMALE GHOSTBUSTERS. I just think doing and all female(which may or may not be the case) just for the sake of doing it, and possibly just to stick it to the fans at this point, is a ridiculous reason to do so.
I hate to say it, but being able to make all four Ghostbusters female is exactly what made Paul Fieg want to make this movie. See his Entertainment Weekly interview, which is basically a long cheerleading session for his concept.

Here's how I imagine the exchange going.

Amy Pascal: Nobody wants to make this movie!
Paul Fieg: Nobody wants to mess up a classic. What do you do 30 years after a marshmallow man destroyed Manhattan? It's too hard to imagine.
Amy Pascal: But it's a huge franchise and it's a shame to just let it sit there!
Paul Fieg: That's true...

Later:

Paul Fieg: (walking down a street) dum dum de dum... Wait a second! What if all four Ghostbusters were women? Working with funny women is my favorite thing! It would be funny women but scary, like that Heat 2 sequel I can't get Sandra Bullock to agree to! I could make THIS funny/scary film instead of THAT one!

Fieg calls Amy Pascal.

Paul Fieg: Amy, what if all the Ghostbusters were women?
Amy Pascal: Ok, that's fine... but what about the previous films?
Paul Fieg: Oh they never happened. This will be a new movie, my movie, which will be made the way I make all my other movies!
Amy Pascal: But you DO want to make this movie.
Paul Fieg: If I can do it with the same people I'm already working with and don't have to deal with anyone outside of my usual circle!
Amy Pascal: But you will make a movie! It will be a movie that exists! And it will be called "Ghostbusters" and we can sell it to people.
Paul Fieg: Yes!
Amy Pascal: ... I'll take it. Greenlit.
Paul Fieg: Yippee!

(Paul Fieg pulls out his phone and starts tweeting, which is what brought us all here.)

Me: ... But what about the comic book? :(

The (unsatisfying cliffhanger) End.
Wallabe, guitar1036 liked this
By YHSCraig
Carnacki wrote:

Of course I read it. I am completely aware of what's going on here. I was alluding to the fact that I could see Bill Murray showing up in a cameo as a completely different character, because he would find humor in being the guy who held up GB3 for so long, and then shows up anyways.

Can't we just pretend this new movie is taking place in a parallel dimension and just be happy that it's 2014 and every news outlet in the country is talking about Ghostbusters? That's pretty awesome I say.
By GhostBustin_84
M.Thunder wrote:
GhostBustin_84 wrote:First off, let me just say, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FEMALE GHOSTBUSTERS. I just think doing and all female(which may or may not be the case) just for the sake of doing it, and possibly just to stick it to the fans at this point, is a ridiculous reason to do so.
I hate to say it, but being able to make all four Ghostbusters female is exactly what made Paul Fieg want to make this movie. See his Entertainment Weekly interview, which is basically a long cheerleading session for his concept.

Here's how I imagine the exchange going.

Amy Pascal: Nobody wants to make this movie!
Paul Fieg: Nobody wants to mess up a classic. What do you do 30 years after a marshmallow man destroyed Manhattan? It's too hard to imagine.
Amy Pascal: But it's a huge franchise and it's a shame to just let it sit there!
Paul Fieg: That's true...

Later:

Paul Fieg: (walking down a street) dum dum de dum... Wait a second! What if all four Ghostbusters were women? Working with funny women is my favorite thing! It would be funny women but scary, like that Heat 2 sequel I can't get Sandra Bullock to agree to! I could make THIS funny/scary film instead of THAT one!

Fieg calls Amy Pascal.

Paul Fieg: Amy, what if all the Ghostbusters were women?
Amy Pascal: Ok, that's fine... but what about the previous films?
Paul Fieg: Oh they never happened. This will be a new movie, my movie, which will be made the way I make all my other movies!
Amy Pascal: But you DO want to make this movie.
Paul Fieg: If I can do it with the same people I'm already working with and don't have to deal with anyone outside of my usual circle!
Amy Pascal: But you will make a movie! It will be a movie that exists! And it will be called "Ghostbusters" and we can sell it to people.
Paul Fieg: Yes!
Amy Pascal: ... I'll take it. Greenlit.
Paul Fieg: Yippee!

(Paul Fieg pulls out his phone and starts tweeting, which is what brought us all here.)

Me: ... But what about the comic book? :(

The (unsatisfying cliffhanger) End.
Good point. But either way, to me, this movie isn't happening(even if it secretly is.....) ;)
By Carnacki
GhostBustin_84 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, They're not making another Ghostbusters movie. If they can pretend Ghostbusters 1 and 2 never happened, I can pretend this isn't happening(or ever happened if it ends up being made).......
Hell yeah. I'm boycotting this unless they throw out this absurd idea. I was onboard with a female team, but not adhering to the movies has me in a rage. How the hell could Reitman and Aykroyd let this happen? Does anyone have them on Facebook? Let's appeal to them to stop this monstrosity, if they could even do anything.
By SockableClaw
I'm okay with this quite honestly.

The reason? Well, Ghostbusters: The Video Game was pretty much the Ghostbusters 3 that we always wanted. Not only did we get to see Ghostbusters 3, but we also got to play it. I doubt an actual Ghostbusters 3 movie would've been able to top the experience that was Ghostbusters 3 anyway.
Skully liked this
By Donkey8012
Like I already said on Facebook, who's ready for Ghostbusters: Episode I?
By Poultrygeist
I think this is a terrible idea. Why even call this project Ghostbusters, except to market it? We don't need another live-action movie. I'd rather see a series of computer animated films akin to the video game with the original characters and Kylie Griffin as a fifth team member.
By Ralf Castleknifer
:sigh: I wish they would get John Carpenter or someone who would take Ghostbusters seriously to direct GB III. A modern comedy director would make a mockery of it. I've never thought of Ghostbusters as a comedy, instead it's a wonderful 1980s sci-fi fantasy horror franchise with a little comedy relief here and there. At the same time I don't want it to be TOO serious because one of the things that makes Ghostbusters perfect is that it has just the right balance of seriousness and lightheartedness.

Sure, the director and stars of the original came from the comedy world, but they broadened their horizons when they did Ghostbusters. If Ghostbusters is supposed to be a comedy, then it fails. Some say a lot of the comedy in it is "subtle", in other words NOT REALLY FUNNY.

I'm with most of you here in liking the idea of the real OGs passing the torch to a new crew, but I don't want to see a remake/reboot, unless it's animated.

All female Ghostbusters? I don't mean to be prejudice, but I'm going to keep it real. I think that's a recipe for the biggest flop in history. As a guy, this isn't something I would ever ask for. I'd be interested to know if the fangirls on this site like the idea. If so, then more power to them. I like She-Ra: Princess of Power, so I might be cool with lady heroes as long as they are not overtly sexy, because I don't want to be turned on that way when I'm trying to watch Ghostbusters. I watch GB and RGB more for the ghosts than the busters anyway.
By Smeghead
I can't even get angry at the idea of a "reboot", because if anything it makes me want to burst in to tears, not rage.

It seems like everything I hold dear from my childhood is being slowly beaten to death, one franchise at a time. First Star Wars, then Indy, Turtles, Red Dwarf, Star Trek... And now GB as well?

What next, a BTTF reboot casting Shia LaBeouf as Marty and George Clooney as Doc, where they make a time machine out of a Prius and travel back in time to 1985 (without breaking the speed limit) but don't interact with the events of the original films?

I very rarely go to the cinema these days (Can't stand the constant idiots making noise), I certainly won't be paying to see this abomination.
By venkman30
After reading Paul's interview I am hating this more and more. New suits. New equipment. Like what the hell. Especially with all of us working on building packs, suits and whatnot to have them make a new movie and change everything. This is crazy. I don't like this idea at all.
By AJ Quick
Give it a rest.

A new Ghostbusters won't change the previous two films for anyone.

Besides. How is this any more gaurenteed than the previous Sony backed writers and directors? For reference:

-Dan Aykroyd
-Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky
-Etan Cohen
-Katie Dippold

ETC.

Why are you all getting worked up by yet another thing that has about the same likelihood of going through as any of the previous attempts?
Vee, Some_Guy, ghostfan003 and 2 others liked this
By Vee
ITT: Cranky nerds who hate something that doesn't exist yet, but will see it in theaters anyway.
Some_Guy, M.Thunder, ghostfan003 and 1 others liked this
By gamera1968
Not too happy with the ''reboot'' part but I have no problem
with an all female cast. Just ignoring the original films (canon) does
not sit well with me either. What does Dan Aykroyd say about all this? :sigh:
By gamera1968
AJ Quick wrote:
gamera1968 wrote: What does Dan Aykroyd say about all this? :sigh:
Probably: 'That's great! Buy my vodka.'
I've lost all faith in the fandom now. :(
Not with you A.J. - just the fandom in general.
By DocLathropBrown
AJ, considering that Sony themselves are promoting the forward movement of Feig's film and it's not just idle talk from producers/actors, this is a whole different ball game. I can't see anything stopping it now. It would have to have some kind of crazy falling-out from Feig now, which I can't see happening since Sony wants this franchise back-to-life, and badly. They'll totally placate him. I doubt even Dan cares anymore. He's got to realize that Sony's gonna move forward in the way they think is best, and they don't care about his input any further.

To quote Dr. Poha... "It's happening... It's really happening!"

Now, do I think people are overreacting? Hell yes. At the end of the day, it's just a movie and it doesn't erase what we've already had that we love. But disappointment seems acceptable, depending on what it is. Disappointment for the leads being female is pretty pathetic, but everything else makes some sense. I'm open to new tech/wardwrobe/car, etc... I just wanted the story to continue. That's MY only beef. And it doesn't anger me. It just kills my excitement is all.

Life moves on.
By Poultrygeist
I can't imagine any other franchise involving a team, like X-Men or The Avengers, thinking it's a good idea to create a reboot by changing all of the characters and disregarding the original canon. Not even considering the fanbase, how does that do justice to a franchise at all?

If they're going to change the characters, the uniforms, the equipment and the car, just change the title of the movie altogether and leave Ghostbusters out of it.
Smeghead, guitar1036 liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]