This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

So the concept for the uniform was based on the idea of what would a Ghostbuster would wear to a formal occasion? Charity dinner, parade, medal ceremony at city hall, etc.

Although the ghostbusters are private, the concept was that they were city servants like police, fire, and paramedics. These services all have their work uniforms and gear (for the ghostbusters this would be the flight suit and pack) but they also have their dress uniforms. And again, although they are not military, they regular uniform draws from a lot of military items, so I thought that was a good place to start.

The base uniform is a German airforce officer uniform with a grey tunic and dark pants from armynavydeals.ca. There is no real significance to the origin of the uniform other than I liked the cut and the colour to it. They were called "the boys in grey" (although it always looked tan to me) and the GB2 suit was blue, so I thought the blue/grey look was appropriate and that the other colours would pop. I'm a 38R jacket and 30W pant, so that's what I ordered and it fit perfectly with no alteration, so if you're getting your own know your sizes.
http://www.armynavydeals.ca/asp/product ... %20Uniform

Right sleeve: I wanted to leave this arm fairly undecorated compared to the other, so it has the BC patch (city, state, region, whatever) centred about one inch down from the shoulder seam. Also, on the cuff I have the Proton Charging patch, which is smaller than your standard patch. The idea here was something like detachments, or training course patches since I've worked with PC a lot. Something good here is if someone had patches of the Xbox game achievement logos or something.

Left sleeve: Here is a little more decorated. In the same position on the shoulder I have the Maple Leaf patch (National patch, for those of you that have them). Around the shoulder is the caution stripe lanyard, which can be made with black and yellow paracord, and the tutorial on how to braid it is here. Since my tunic came without epaulettes I used small safety pins to keep it in place. On the left cuff are two black and red patches with three marks each. These signify years of service or something, but I just wanted something there and thought that the black and red picked up on the GB logo. Paracord and those red bars can be found easily on eBay or your local surplus store. Tutorial for the lanyard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8gH5ngIrZ8

Top right pocket: Above here is a simple black and white military style name tag which you can get at a place like Things Engraved. I went in with a fine tipped pen to make the lettering red. http://www.thingsengraved.ca/Product/Re ... /000196--x

Top left pocket: Above here is a ribbon bar. Now these are real US medals, but I didn't choose them for any real significance, just that the idea of a Ghostbuster earning medals was a neat idea. I may replace these with something custom in the future. Above that is a proton pack pin. This is meant to be a qualification, like a pilot's wings. I simply trimmed down a pack from one of the RGB figures, painted it, and added pin backings.

Lapels: Two small GB logo pins I got off eBay, here. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ghostbusters-No- ... 841602123?

Shirt is from eBay, really cheap. I opted for a medium and it fits well, though a little short in the arms. I ended up rolling up the sleeves anyway. I also put gold captains bars on the collar (also from armynavydeals, but I think something like this is common for surplus stores), I know that Ghostbusters didn't have rank, but with multiple franchises worldwide, would they? Cops do after all. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3mu-Mens-Fashion ... 142wt_1216

Tie from eBay, easy, cheap. Yellow and black for the tie and shirt again tying in the caution stripe vibe. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Casual-Slim- ... 5374wt_914

Pants, I added a yellow ribbon down each leg to continue the caution stripe theme, but also to take a little inspiration from RCMP pants. This is got from our local fabric and craft store.

Boots are just my regular combat boots polished. I bloused the pant legs since they were a little short, and also since that is how I wear the cuffs on my flight suit.

So there you have it! All the details and links on how to do your own (I am not selling any of these items, these are just where I sourced my bits). If this becomes popular I'd be really interested to see how people get creative with other pins/patches/ranks/insignia etc. I ended up going pretty basic with mine for now, but it achieved a look I really liked.

Thanks for your interest!
castewar, GAVAL, Rye Guy and 7 others liked this
ProtonCharger wrote:What's everyone's deal with militarizing a comedy movie about a bunch of slacker paranormal exterminators?
In a world of Hello Kitty / St. Patty's Day packs, speculative equipment props, and people personalizing their own outfits, so what if someone wants to make a dress uniform? It's fun, I like fun, I like the uniform.
Kingpin, Last_Minute, Chace and 6 others liked this
ProtonCharger wrote:What's everyone's deal with militarizing a comedy movie about a bunch of slacker paranormal exterminators?
I'm not sure. I always felt they were exterminators. You know like the bug guys. Dirty. Covered with slime. I don't get military from that, but I guess everyone has their interpretations. Interesting idea....I personally wouldn't have gone military though.
ProtonCharger, castewar, Donkey8012 and 3 others liked this
Last_Minute wrote:Above here is a ribbon bar. Now these are real US medals, but I didn't choose them for any real significance, just that the idea of a Ghostbuster earning medals was a neat idea. I may replace these with something custom in the future.
I think we should set up some custom bars for you - you apparently served in Vietnam. So, if we can get you bars that don't reference real service medals, it'd be better. And that's a purple heart, I think. I don't know what the last one is.
SPJ liked this
Vincenzo330 wrote:If you were wearing dinner dress (dress mess) you'd actually wear mini medals, not ribbons. Ribbons are informal.

I know it's just for fun but my OCD is freaking out right now! :P
Making mini-medals would be awesome! Model them after the video game achievements or something...
Vee, Crazy1van, SPJ liked this
I can appreciate the idea, and it definitely gets an "A" for creativity, but didn't they already attend a "formal occasion" in GB2? They went to a court hearing, and they wore regular dress suits.
Vincenzo330, ProtonCharger, Sutton621 and 2 others liked this
castewar wrote:
Last_Minute wrote:Above here is a ribbon bar. Now these are real US medals, but I didn't choose them for any real significance, just that the idea of a Ghostbuster earning medals was a neat idea. I may replace these with something custom in the future.
I think we should set up some custom bars for you - you apparently served in Vietnam. So, if we can get you bars that don't reference real service medals, it'd be better. And that's a purple heart, I think. I don't know what the last one is.
I guess one could use Civil Air Patrol cadet ribbons, they're real but not REALLY real...
Well as I said, although they were private (even though part of the concept was that they were like a civil service) the production design drew on a lot of military items. Your flight suit, boots, belt, gloves, alice frame, ecto goggles, are all military gear. Besides, you can still be a screw ball slacker, think Super Troopers, Police Academy, Stripes, or I'm sure many more.
castewar wrote:
I want to do custom for sure. These were actually left over from another costume so they are just placeholders for now.
Vincenzo330 wrote:If you were wearing dinner dress (dress mess) you'd actually wear mini medals, not ribbons. Ribbons are informal.

I know it's just for fun but my OCD is freaking out right now! :P
I always thought mess kits were more like a short tuxedo jacket. I know this kind of uniform would vary between service and country, so I'm not sure which "class" of uniform this would more resemble. Something more like this Image or this Image was more what was in mind for inspiration.
Donkey8012 wrote:I can appreciate the idea, and it definitely gets an "A" for creativity, but didn't they already attend a "formal occasion" in GB2? They went to a court hearing, and they wore regular dress suits.
True, and that is more in line with the idea that they are a private civilian company, but this is just a concept. And perhaps in the fiction in a more present day world where there are dozens of international franchises something more formal would be introduced.
elsoldao7 wrote:I guess one could use Civil Air Patrol cadet ribbons, they're real but not REALLY real...
I will look into those!
Dan AKA wrote:I personally wouldn't rock it, but maybe in the canon with the comics Peck would make the Ghostbusters get a formal uniform. Looks good.
Ha! Good idea!
My two cents on the matter would be if they had or needed formal uniforms they would be kind of a retro fit of the FDNY dress same cuts and colors but with a few things to make it different such as gold or silver no ghost logo pins perhaps even a badge that would take that into account. I make these suggestions because to me it looked like at least in the second movie they were trying to module or copy the FDNY with the life guards and the blue flight suits but just my 2 cents
Crazy1van liked this
allosaur176 wrote:Cool Idea, but its not like the city ever pays them for their services, or the government for that matter...
No not in the movie but in the video game they are since they are on the city's insurance and since PECOCK or however it is spelled is over them the only logical thing would be that buy now 2013 they should be a division of FDNY or NYPD response teams but that is only my theory being a government employee myself that's my thinking comes from.
Eh, I won't deny the fact that you did a good job pulling this together but I can't say I'm into a 'formal dress' for a Ghostbuster in any light. I just don't see where it fits at all in the imaginary 'occupation'. We see in the films that when the guys need to be more formal they simply wear one of their personal suits. I don't really see the idea of a Ghostbuster being celebrated with pins or badges or medals or anything else. They're a group of guys that perform a highly expensive extermination job. Their rewards are their bi-weekly paychecks.

I would envision a meeting of multiple franchises being held in a big bar where they're all crowded around one table looking over blue prints and plans while talking about the end of the world, smoking and drinking beer as a waitress has to force her way around the group to take their orders. Not a big ceremony that starts with a Scottish marching band and a medal ceremony.

I may also be in a small minority here, but I also think a costume like this is slightly disrespectful to the men and women who have actual medals and ribbons to display. Fake ones you supposedly earned fighting ghosts comes off as a mockery to me.

Ultimately, good job being resourceful and making the finished product look nice but I think your intentions were a little misguided. I'd suggest an alternative to the regular uniform could be a cool project. Like a one piece jacket that a Ghostbuster can just throw on. I've liked the few of them that I've seen in the past.
Cory Levy wrote: They're a group of guys that perform a highly expensive extermination job. Their rewards are their bi-weekly paychecks.
And books worth of scientific data.
Cory Levy wrote: I may also be in a small minority here, but I also think a costume like this is slightly disrespectful to the men and women who have actual medals and ribbons to display. Fake ones you supposedly earned fighting ghosts comes off as a mockery to me.

Ultimately, good job being resourceful and making the finished product look nice but I think your intentions were a little misguided. I'd suggest an alternative to the regular uniform could be a cool project. Like a one piece jacket that a Ghostbuster can just throw on. I've liked the few of them that I've seen in the past.
Mockery implies intent, and I'd hardly say he did it specifically to be a dick. And if you've read through the thread, you'll see a few people people suggested moving to fictional medals, and he himself said they were reused from another costume. And it should be pointed out that while they are important to some who earned them, he only has them because they weren't important to the owner or their family. So, a little perspective. Talk has moved towards replacing them already, pretty much for exactly the same reason you've pointed out, so unless you want him to go faster, there's not much point to calling it a mockery...

And you can't call his intentions misguided. He had an idea, he executed said idea. You don't have to like the results, but they're his results. The work jacket would be a cool project - you should totally do it.
"Real" in fact was not specific enough. These ribbons, the specific colours are those of military decorations. However these particular ones I am wearing (from another costume) are replicas you can buy for about four bucks. They came in a package and were not awarded to anyone for anything.
castewar wrote:And books worth of scientific data.
Uh, what? I was stating that I could never imagine a Ghostbuster receiving a medal for a 'courageous act' or something. They do their job, most likely aren't thrilled to do it and then pick up a pay check the following week. That's it. They don't stand around, congratulate and honor each other.
castewar wrote: Mockery implies intent, and I'd hardly say he did it specifically to be a dick. And if you've read through the thread, you'll see a few people people suggested moving to fictional medals, and he himself said they were reused from another costume. And it should be pointed out that while they are important to some who earned them, he only has them because they weren't important to the owner or their family. So, a little perspective. Talk has moved towards replacing them already, pretty much for exactly the same reason you've pointed out, so unless you want him to go faster, there's not much point to calling it a mockery....
Mockery doesn't imply intent at all. Of course TC didn't intend to insult real service people because if he did he'd just be a plain asshole.

And yes, I have seen the comments about fictional medals and ribbons but, to me, that wouldn't change my opinion on a 'dress uniform'. Because the problem isn't using real medals, it's the idea that a fake comedy movie about slacker paranormal eliminators are prestigious enough to have a 'dress uniform' that apes those of real life service people.

I don't care what his intent was and whether the medals are fake or (I personally wouldn't even be able to tell). If I saw this in person my first reaction would be "Okay, that's taking a movie a little too seriously now." If you want a more formal Ghostbusters option, throw a large logo onto a jacket or do a cosplay of Venkman's suit. There's no need to start making fictional medals, ribbons and awards for a fake organization that would never even give them out.
castewar wrote:And you can't call his intentions misguided. He had an idea, he executed said idea. You don't have to like the results, but they're his results.
I'm merely giving my opinion. He posted it on a public forum to get a response and I responded. Just because I didn't like his results doesn't mean I have to be silent.
ProtonCharger liked this
Last_Minute wrote: Well as I said, although they were private (even though part of the concept was that they were like a civil service) the production design drew on a lot of military items.
It's all military surplus, which means:

1) it's cheap
2) it's available en masse
3) it's always available if need for replacements.
4) it's perfect for people wanting a 'uniform' without dishing out a ton of money
5) IT'S REALLY CHEAP FOR A MOVIE COMPANY TO GET.

The 'Busters just dropped several thousand on a car, car repairs, and a HQ. I'm sure they cut corners where they could, and spending a fraction of the cost on used military gear seemed like a good idea at the time.

So, literally, the 'military' theme is only because of cheap, readily available items and not because they wanted some kind of professional look.

(I think we've discussed this like a bajillion times on the forum too)

That being said, it's an interesting idea and looks kind of slick, but I'd like it more if it...well....

Wasn't so military.
ProtonCharger, Vee, Wallabe and 4 others liked this
BustingCO wrote:My two cents on the matter would be if they had or needed formal uniforms they would be kind of a retro fit of the FDNY dress same cuts and colors but with a few things to make it different such as gold or silver no ghost logo pins perhaps even a badge that would take that into account. I make these suggestions because to me it looked like at least in the second movie they were trying to module or copy the FDNY with the life guards and the blue flight suits but just my 2 cents
I agree that the dinner dress uniform should be modeled more on a First Responder uniform than that of the military, but with that said, it wouldn't take much to make those modifications to the uniform that was made.
Cory Levy wrote: I may also be in a small minority here, but I also think a costume like this is slightly disrespectful to the men and women who have actual medals and ribbons to display. Fake ones you supposedly earned fighting ghosts comes off as a mockery to me.
Military vet here. If they're ribbons that have been earned IRL, there's not a damn thing anyone can say that would make me want to keep someone from wearing them. Pretty sure I've got a rack or two still attached to my old blues that I'd dust off for something like this.

There's really little anyone can do if someone wants to wear service ribbons that exist. My recommendation is to try to come up with custom ribbons and see if they match up against anything that already exists. I'm sure there are analogs of ribbons worn by first responders that you could use as basis, especially ones that are metropolitan awards (issued by the city). Would help with the idea that it isn't so much military as municipal.
DmsdyMachn liked this

It's our arthouse European sensibilities in effect[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last mil[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]