By Hoot
I didn't see many a thread in regards to this and seeing as how there are a lot of non functioning solders it'd be grand practice to learn soldering.

So I got kit the other day in the mail (for some reason every time I get parts I giggle like a school girl) opened it up and in dread I stared at the project before me. Many pieces. Many tiny little bastard that my long sausage fingers would have to handle.

f*** it. Bought a decent soldering iron, watched a few youtube how tos on soldering and started. So far not bad.
Im taking a break because I need to get a heat gun to heat the shrink tubing for the standup....uh....thingies....yes...

At any rate ill be snapping pics of my progress as I plan on actually blasting thru this project in the next few days while I wait for parts to come for my pack. Its a good diversion and a new skill to be learned.

Any pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance lads!
By PssdffJay
Doug's kit is awesome and lots of fun to make. I took a few photos in my uniform thread but not a step by step at all. Doug's instructions are great. It looks intimidating at first but it goes together smooth. The only part that I had trouble with is the gold posts with the black spacer things. I couldn't get them off once they were soldered so I did take my dremel to it because they are under the fake chips an you can't see it. It does make a tone of gold dust that is hard to get off the board but I just call that weathering. You can't tell unless you know to look for it.
robandliv liked this
By PssdffJay
And good on ya with the heat gun. I had tried with a hair dryer and that didn't work well and a lighter just burns it.

When you get to the Nixie tubes, that crazy glue that is the gel type is excellent! I took a box and used a pen to poke holes big enough to hold the tubes upside down while the led glue dried. I have to run into a meeting. I'll post more of my thoughts a bit later.
By PssdffJay
I also used a pair of clippers to cut of the extra length on the back and also used a small file on them after on the non working parts.

I think that is all I can recall for now. By then end of it you'll be a soldering pro! When I start my second gizmo, I bet I'll be done in half the time.
By Hoot
Morydees wrote:Great progress. I just realized I should really get myself one of those fancy alligator clip soldering holder thingamabobs.
If I can make a single recommendation for it? Get one thing with rubber coating. Shit scratched my circuit board a bit :(
I made a small video. NSFW!!!!

Ignore the buzz - phone was on silent and blowing up at the exact moment I was recording.

Annnnnd sorry for the vulgarity....no Im not.
Cyberkorr liked this
By Hoot
So the bitch is done. Total build time: 1.5 days.

I know the error box is not mounted but I am waiting until better weather to paint since its cold as balls here.

Enjoy.

This was a fun build. Mind you... I could understand why the Chinese are great at circuitry. Im far too tall. Now for a muscle relaxer and a beer.
By Morydees
Hoot wrote:
Morydees wrote:Great progress. I just realized I should really get myself one of those fancy alligator clip soldering holder thingamabobs.
If I can make a single recommendation for it? Get one thing with rubber coating. Shit scratched my circuit board a bit :(
It seems those are incredibly hard to find though so I may just get some soft rubber and make my own ends or something. Either way, that's great to know ahead of time. Thanks and good work on yours!
By PssdffJay
What about some felt with the sticker on the other side?

I didn't use one when I made mine. I didn't want to pay $30 for one from Radio Shack (The Source in Canada). That's $30 in pack parts I can buy!
By Morydees
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

PssdffJay wrote:Hey, what about scrap cut off pieces of the tubing from the pack? Does that fit over the clips?
Close to what I was planning.I was going to get this one off Amazon for $7 and use heat shrink tubing to make some padding. Maybe a few different sizes, layered, to accommodate the clip's increasing diameter.
By Wharin
PssdffJay wrote:Hey, what about scrap cut off pieces of the tubing from the pack? Does that fit over the clips?
On mine (I got it from harbor freight), I just slipped some heat shrink tubing over the jaws, problem solved.
By Hoot
Wharin wrote:
On mine (I got it from harbor freight), I just slipped some heat shrink tubing over the jaws, problem solved.
I thought about that...after...I ....was done. Dammit
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]