Return to Home Page - Ghostbusters Fans

View new posts | View your posts Weathering a Flight Suit?

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 10:44 am 

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find much info on it outside of slime stains, which isn't really what I had in mind.

Has anyone tried making their suit weathered and dirty looking? If so, what methods have you used? My Nomex has gotten quite broken in, but I still feel like it looks too clean and "costume" like. I'd really like to go for how Ray's suit looks like he's been working on the Ecto-1, but without the stubborn smell that comes along with real motor oil stains. I've heard of using paint, but is there a better kind to use or any real method to it?

Thanks!

(+0)

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 8:34 am 
Ghosthead

You could do yard work in it. That should do it. Then water down some acrylic paint but it might wash off when laundered.

Grimmy's Pack Build
Trap Build
PKE Meter Build
Uniform
Gizmo Build

"Boy, it smells like somebody took a big..."

(+0)

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 8:47 am 
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

When I've weathered my Star Wars costumes I've used spray paint to good effect.
I lay the suit outside and spray black, brown and gray paint from about 5-6 feet over it. Usually a light to medium mist with each color. After each color I use a rag to rub the paint in so it doesn't look like paint dots or blotches.

I've also put my suit on and held a spray can as far away as I could and blasted some areas that usually get dirty like the elbows and knees.

And, like Grimmy said, you can get your hands all filthy with paint and when it's nearly dried, rub it in natural places like your thighs or other places you might normally wipe your hands in a pinch.

A lot of paint will fade or come off if you toss your suit in the washer. This will help with a more natural look over time, and you can add more weathering over that to make it look layered and old.

You can also sit your suit out in direct sunlight for a while or make a solution of diluted bleach and mist it on, but that may make things a little too weathered. I've also used sandpaper on my elbows, shoulders and knees to make it look worn and thinner. It depends on how far you want to go with it.

(+1)

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 8:39 pm 

I bought a used Nomex suit and discovered that I really won't have to weather it... suit's worn and fuzzy, and kinda lost its shape... in other words, it emulates the Stantz quite well! :D

As for a brand new, unused suit... guess you could artificially weather it, using the techniques desctibed above. Personally, I would give the suit some break-in time, wear it, wash it, see how it weathers naturally .

Artificial weathering may look, well, artificial, if it's overdone, something that happens easily. One careless pass with the raltle can might ruin it. Also, artificial aging - chemical and mechanical - will always have an impact on the garment's structural integrity. It will weaken the fabric to some extent.

(+0)

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 2:52 pm 
Ghosthead

For my Michael Myers coveralls I use sandpaper and hit the most used areas, the knees and elbows. I then mist it over with spray paint while it is hanging on a torso body form to give it some natural lay. I hit it with black, closer in certain areas to simulate heavier dirt, then I go back over it with a lighter ivory color to make it look a bit more faded, I feel like the more colors you use the more texture it will have, so I use some brown similarly to the black, then I throw it in the dryer to knock off the excess paint. I have a used Nomex that I got off ebay and it is well worn, so I haven't tried this technique with my GB uniform, but I don't see why it wouldn't be similarly affected.

(+0)

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 2:26 pm 
Ghosthead

i was going for a 30yr old looking suit. i ran mine threw the washing machine every day sometimes 2 or 3 times, with all different kind of close.

this might actually sound silly but I'm being honest. i put the suit on and rolled outside on the cement we have around our pool, the cement is textured so u don't slip so it grab the suit real well. after rolling around on the cement, i then rolled in the grass, hitting my elbows and knees

after a washing it removed most the the stains i put on it but the stitching became loose and old looking. i liked it

with nomex I've learned they are harder the stain or dye...

so my next suit is going to be a nasty one, I'm going to attempt "tea bagging" ...i know what your thinking, not that kind of tea bag, anyway the fett guys use a tea bag technique to make their suits look dirty, the tea bag trick also is great for arm pit stains!

i just may also attempt some light brown over spray in areas to simulate dirt. there is a great thread on therpf.com with a husband a wife who have built a 1:1 scale land speeder, and the wife does amazing weathering with acrylics. the thread is very detailed and shows how to do it

there was also a great post on Facebook about how to age leather with chemicals, I'm going to attempt that with my boots, i have so much mink oil on them, they are bright enough to be used as a run way marker..

i am not a "new look" kinda guy, the main thing that i think of with ghostbusters is dirty, and grudgey.. stuff was used and abused

(+0)

PostPosted: March 29th, 2015, 1:58 pm 

I use some higgins pen ink or black liquid acrylic mixed with water in a spray bottle. And like above just hit the mosed uses parts like knees elbows some ring around the coller and so on. Its not perminent so you dont have to worry about over doing it.

(+0)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2015, 7:13 am 

I've been hanging mine outside in full sun for a few days at a time to get some nice fading and make it look like it hasn't sat in a closet for years. That and maybe a little bit of fullers earth dusted on to certain areas have helped to age mine. I even hit the Logo cause the white white was too much.

(+0)

Share On: Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on MySpace MySpace Share on Delicious Delicious Share on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+