Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By Fuzzymath
I decided to weather my pack to look like it's been in service since 1984. Plenty of scrapes, scuff marks, and battle scars. I added some rust and corrosion to mine in key places. Here's how I did it.

I started with some craft sand and a glue stick from Wal-mart...

...and some model paints, thinner, and brushes. The brownish paint is actually labeled "rust".

Then I took a fairly shiny piece of metal...

...and applied some rust paint to places that might naturally recieve oxidation. Don't apply very much here. I decided to use only the rust paint in this tutorial.

Then I dipped another brush in the thinner and thinned out the rust paint to make it look more runny.

Like this.

Then, I applied a generous sprinkling of the craft sand...

...and tapped of the excess.

I then applied a streak of the glue stick. It's works better on rounded edges and corners.

After sprinkling some more sand...

...and tapping off the excess, not bad so far.

I touched it up with some more light dabs of thinner to blend everything together.

After a few minutes of drying, you've got instant rust/corrosion.

Here's how applied this same method to certain parts of my pack.

That's it. The whole process doesn't take very long to apply and the more you do it the better you get at it. I hope this helps!

Peace.
By Gareee
Very good tutorial!

Not sure I want a rusty pack, but good for other applications as well.
By ProtonCharger
very helpful. i can see having a bit of rust here and there on a pack, instead of just silver knicks and weathering.

i havent weathered a pack yet, but if i did its something id keep to a minimum though. there's natural weathering and then there's going over board. id throw in, that if you were to have any silver weathering, even though this is a rust weathering topic, to actually take your pack and bump into things. where you can tell where you hit, paint that boo boo silver. that way it looks natural wear and tear.

anoither thing i rarely see ever weathered is a bumper. so i like that you had rust on your bumperspring
By FeinDTacticS
Damn...I might be rusting my pack up soon..

I have been applying water to my exposed bolts for weeks now getting the natural effect but this might be more fun
If you guys want to go all out, I suggest finding a piece of scrap iron (around any shop, salvage yard, etc) that is already rusty.

Then just use some course grit sandpaper and collect the sanding shavings on a piece of construction paper, etc and glue it on using the above steps instead of the craft sand.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]